Apopka football and other Central Florida musings

DarterBlue2

Well spring is over. I will go on record as not having seen many teams live. The only games I went to were: Boone/St. Cloud, Colonial/Evans, Apopka Blue and White game, and Apopka/Osceola/Lake Gibson jamboree.

1. Boone/St. Cloud - this game was called at the half with Boone leading 21 to 0. The game was actually closer than that but St. Cloud shot themselves in the foot by turning the ball over when they were driving well,  and giving up a couple big plays. I could see both teams being above .500 but doubt they will have good post seasons unless they make rapid improvement. St. Cloud has some good athletes but seem to need an identity.

2. Evans/Colonial - Colonial has been a perennial Cinderella with only one winning season in the past 17 or so years. Evans was once a Central Florida power but has spent the past decade plus mostly in the cellar (there have been a couple good seasons). This was actually an interesting, entertaining game. While it is clear that neither team is devoid of talent, it was hard to determine whether it was interesting because they were both pedestrian or whether they could both make a little noise. Evans has a decent quarterback and a good kicker. Colonial has a talented tailback and a decent secondary. Beyond that, I guess as the season plays out, we will see whether either or both have turned the corner.

3. Apopka Blue and White game. This game had a great turnout considering it was an inter-squad scrimmage. There were north of 500 individuals at the Pop Warner fields at the North Recreation athletic complex fields. Considering that the venue is well north of Apopka's main population center and it was just a scrimmage, the turnout exemplified what I truly like about Apopka football: it is well supported by the community. I meant to comment on this game earlier, but held off, as while I thought it was entertaining, very competitive and played at a high level, I felt I should see them against external competition before saying what I think the season holds for the 2016 Blue Darters. The final score was Blue 21 white 6. Which leads me to,

4. Osceola/Lake Gibson/Apopka. This jamboree was played at Osceola's Kowboy stadium and was originally meant to be just Apopka vs Osceola. Lake Gibson joined the festivities when their spring game fell through and the staffs at Apopka and Osceola agreed to having them participate. Prior to last year, Apopka had had a great run of three consecutive state finals winning two. By those standards 2015 was disappointing with an exit in the second round of the playoffs. Osceola made it to the state final last year losing a fairly competitive game, while despite falling off a little the past few years, Lake Gibson has generally been a quality, playoff team which has had the misfortune in the past 15 years of dealing with teams such as Armwood and Lakeland standing in the way of a title. So, the match-ups were attractive. The format for the jamboree was: three halves of play as follows: First, Osceola vs Lake Gibson; second, Lake Gibson vs Apopka; and, finally, Apopka vs Osceola. The results were: Lake Gibson 13, Osceola 0; Apopka 28, Lake Gibson 6; and, Apopka 14, Osceola 3. 

Osceola/Lake Gibson - This game was more competitive than the final score. Both teams moved the ball well on offense at times and both defenses made some quality plays at times. Osceola at this stage is not the team they were last year. Still the Kowboys look the part physically and have a good, stable coaching staff. So a good season is not out of the question. Both Lake Gibson touchdowns were on big plays: a 60 yard pass down to the 8 followed by a QB keeper for the score, and about a 50 yard run on the last play of the game. This is the first time in several years I have seen LG play, but I think they have a decent shot of at least being a playoff team.

Apopka/Lake Gibson - Lake Gibson had never seen Apopka's offense before and it showed. Apopka raced to a 28-0 lead before the middle of the second quarter, brought in its back-ups and gave up a late touchdown. The first touchdown was set up by an interception near mid-field. Apopka quickly drove downfield and scored easily. The second touchdown was off a blocked LG punt that Apopka recovered in the end zone. The final two touchdowns were scored off impressive drives by Apopka as Lake Gibson had a lot of trouble with Apopka's misdirection offense and team speed. 

Apopka/Osceola - Apopka quickly raced to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter. Osceola scored a field goal early in the second after being first and goal inside the 3 yard line early in the second following a long run that got them deep into Apopka territory. Apopka's defense stiffened and Osceola had to settle for a field goal after being pushed back to the 19. The rest of the quarter was mostly a defensive affair but at the end Apopka ran out the clock, taking a knee inside the Osceola 6 yard line, following a long drive. 

Observations - This is a very promising Apopka team with a good blend of offensive and defensive strengths. While it may not be chock full of D1 studs, it has more than its fair share of talent. The backfield is loaded, the offensive line is solid and they have a few guys that can actually catch the ball. And, glory be, they actually throw it more than the customary two time per game. On defense, the line is solid, the line backers are good and they probably have their best secondary since 2001 when Brandon Meriweather anchored it. If there is any defensive hole it is that the short pass in the flats will always be there due to the aggressiveness of the linebacker corps. But that is just they way Apopka plays its defense and I feel this issue will be offset by most quarterbacks being pretty hurried against the aggressiveness of the defense.

Needless to say, I quite optimistic about the prospects for this Blue Darter team. Unlike last year when I was a skeptic from the beginning, I am cautiously optimistic that if this team does not suffer many injuries, and if it bonds together, it should make a deep playoff run and at least get to the semi-final game and probably beyond.  

Well spring is over. I will go on record as not having seen many teams live. The only games I went to were: Boone/St. Cloud, Colonial/Evans, Apopka Blue and White game, and Apopka/Osceola/Lake Gibson jamboree.

1. Boone/St. Cloud - this game was called at the half with Boone leading 21 to 0. The game was actually closer than that but St. Cloud shot themselves in the foot by turning the ball over when they were driving well,  and giving up a couple big plays. I could see both teams being above .500 but doubt they will have good post seasons unless they make rapid improvement. St. Cloud has some good athletes but seem to need an identity.

2. Evans/Colonial - Colonial has been a perennial Cinderella with only one winning season in the past 17 or so years. Evans was once a Central Florida power but has spent the past decade plus mostly in the cellar (there have been a couple good seasons). This was actually an interesting, entertaining game. While it is clear that neither team is devoid of talent, it was hard to determine whether it was interesting because they were both pedestrian or whether they could both make a little noise. Evans has a decent quarterback and a good kicker. Colonial has a talented tailback and a decent secondary. Beyond that, I guess as the season plays out, we will see whether either or both have turned the corner.

3. Apopka Blue and White game. This game had a great turnout considering it was an inter-squad scrimmage. There were north of 500 individuals at the Pop Warner fields at the North Recreation athletic complex fields. Considering that the venue is well north of Apopka's main population center and it was just a scrimmage, the turnout exemplified what I truly like about Apopka football: it is well supported by the community. I meant to comment on this game earlier, but held off, as while I thought it was entertaining, very competitive and played at a high level, I felt I should see them against external competition before saying what I think the season holds for the 2016 Blue Darters. The final score was Blue 21 white 6. Which leads me to,

4. Osceola/Lake Gibson/Apopka. This jamboree was played at Osceola's Kowboy stadium and was originally meant to be just Apopka vs Osceola. Lake Gibson joined the festivities when their spring game fell through and the staffs at Apopka and Osceola agreed to having them participate. Prior to last year, Apopka had had a great run of three consecutive state finals winning two. By those standards 2015 was disappointing with an exit in the second round of the playoffs. Osceola made it to the state final last year losing a fairly competitive game, while despite falling off a little the past few years, Lake Gibson has generally been a quality, playoff team which has had the misfortune in the past 15 years of dealing with teams such as Armwood and Lakeland standing in the way of a title. So, the match-ups were attractive. The format for the jamboree was: three halves of play as follows: First, Osceola vs Lake Gibson; second, Lake Gibson vs Apopka; and, finally, Apopka vs Osceola. The results were: Lake Gibson 13, Osceola 0; Apopka 28, Lake Gibson 6; and, Apopka 14, Osceola 3. 

Osceola/Lake Gibson - This game was more competitive than the final score. Both teams moved the ball well on offense at times and both defenses made some quality plays at times. Osceola at this stage is not the team they were last year. Still the Kowboys look the part physically and have a good, stable coaching staff. So a good season is not out of the question. Both Lake Gibson touchdowns were on big plays: a 60 yard pass down to the 8 followed by a QB keeper for the score, and about a 50 yard run on the last play of the game. This is the first time in several years I have seen LG play, but I think they have a decent shot of at least being a playoff team.

Apopka/Lake Gibson - Lake Gibson had never seen Apopka's offense before and it showed. Apopka raced to a 28-0 lead before the middle of the second quarter, brought in its back-ups and gave up a late touchdown. The first touchdown was set up by an interception near mid-field. Apopka quickly drove downfield and scored easily. The second touchdown was off a blocked LG punt that Apopka recovered in the end zone. The final two touchdowns were scored off impressive drives by Apopka as Lake Gibson had a lot of trouble with Apopka's misdirection offense and team speed. 

Apopka/Osceola - Apopka quickly raced to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter. Osceola scored a field goal early in the second after being first and goal inside the 3 yard line early in the second following a long run that got them deep into Apopka territory. Apopka's defense stiffened and Osceola had to settle for a field goal after being pushed back to the 19. The rest of the quarter was mostly a defensive affair but at the end Apopka ran out the clock, taking a knee inside the Osceola 6 yard line, following a long drive. 

Observations - This is a very promising Apopka team with a good blend of offensive and defensive strengths. While it may not be chock full of D1 studs, it has more than its fair share of talent. The backfield is loaded, the offensive line is solid and they have a few guys that can actually catch the ball. And, glory be, they actually throw it more than the customary two time per game. On defense, the line is solid, the line backers are good and they probably have their best secondary since 2001 when Brandon Meriweather anchored it. If there is any defensive hole it is that the short pass in the flats will always be there due to the aggressiveness of the linebacker corps. But that is just they way Apopka plays its defense and I feel this issue will be offset by most quarterbacks being pretty hurried against the aggressiveness of the defense.

Needless to say, I quite optimistic about the prospects for this Blue Darter team. Unlike last year when I was a skeptic from the beginning, I am cautiously optimistic that if this team does not suffer many injuries, and if it bonds together, it should make a deep playoff run and at least get to the semi-final game and probably beyond.  

Great stuff DarterBlue2!  Thanks for the Central  FL detailed update!

Sounds like we will have a massive challenge when we have to travel to Apopka for kickoff classic

Apopka looked in mid-September form in their Spring games. Now that may mean little or it may mean a lot. If the latter, any team short of a Nationally ranked top 25 one will have a challenge.  The thing is, with its blend of youth and experience, they should get quite a bit better if they don't get plagued with injuries. I realize that Orange City University will be a challenge, but at this stage, I would make the Darters favorite to win the Northernmost bracket of 8A and face an Osceola/Manatee/Dr. Phillips/Vero Beach in the North semi-final.