STORY: Miami Northwestern claims toughest schedule in Florida entering the 2016 season

SportsNut25

The numbers have been run and it has been determined by a top-secret formula that Miami Northwestern has the toughest schedule in all of Florida. 

See who else has super tough schedules - http://floridahsfootball.com/2016/08/19/miami-northwestern-boasts-top-strength-schedule-florida-entering-season/

Is this something that's going to update every week based on wins and losses ?

Looking at the top 25, I definitely see some positives in this but there has to be some glitch or flaw somewhere that could be tweeked.  When I see all of these Indepenent Gold Coast Conference teams in here and South Walton over teams like Deerfield Beach, Southridge, Flanagan and Columbus there has to be a flaw somwhere...

Indian Rocks Christian over IMG and STA?

Pembroke Pines Charter over Cocoa?

Westminster Academy over AHP?

Well...hey, it's a start.

Looking at the top 25, I definitely see some positives in this but there has to be some glitch or flaw somewhere that could be tweeked.  When I see all of these Indepenent Gold Coast Conference teams in here and South Walton over teams like Deerfield Beach, Southridge, Flanagan and Columbus there has to be a flaw somwhere...

Indian Rocks Christian over IMG and STA?

Pembroke Pines Charter over Cocoa?

Westminster Academy over AHP?

Well...hey, it's a start.

I am surprised SportsNut didn't link this article up with my thoughts, but I shared some of the thoughts on this topic of why there were more independent teams than not

LINK: http://floridahsfootball.com/2016/08/19/joshs-quick-thoughts-preseason-strength-schedule-rankings/

Part of the problem here is that the four teams that moved from Southeastern to Gold Coast were the four best teams from that conference last season.

As such, I expect a lot of this to change, but this is going purely straight from a win-loss record for every team including each team's opponents records and each team's opponents' opponents records. 

Two factors that hurt IMG and Aquinas is the fact that at least a couple of teams had subpar records last season. IMG for example, Long Beach Poly was 4-6 while St. Frances Military Academy was 2-10. When you start to factor in the combined record of each of these schools opponents and then add it all up and let the formula run, you see why Northwestern jumped up higher and why a few other teams weren't where people would think. 

And with that, that means I am tracking every single out-of-state opponent the teams here are playing and how their opponents are fairing as well.

Now could I make tweaks? Certainly, but that won't come until I have a full season under the format now to see where I can adjust for this. 

Plus, I think next week, a lot of this is going to change and will certainly might reflect closer to what the opinion is saying. Computers like MaxPreps and USA TODAY often put just a little opinion into the mix or that is what it seems like. However, there are weights likely used that is going to tell to make IMG show stronger. 

But let's see just how well raw numbers work for all of this because simply letting the records speak should be allowed as well. 

And to note...The formula is no secret can and can be seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_of_schedule

I even checked to make sure I wrote the formula out right in the computer by hand calculating one of the teams and I got the same result as it showed on the computer. 

Still overall, i am excited about having another component to the site. 

Miramar 8A-12   = #1 8A Team

2016 schedule:

Mater Academy

STA

Monarch

Plantation

South Plantation

Flanagan

Cypress Bay

Hallandale

Everglades

Western

Flanagan 8A-12  = Not Ranked in 8A top 10

2016 Schedule:

Oxbridge Academy

Coconut Creek

South Plantation

Western

Miramar

Everglades

Cypress Bay

Chaminade-Madonna

STA

Bold = Non-District Games

I guess this will fix itself over the season but scratching my head on this one...Same exact District, but Flanagan's non-district is significantly stronger.

Miramar 8A-12   = #1 8A Team

2016 schedule:

Mater Academy

STA

Monarch

Plantation

South Plantation

Flanagan

Cypress Bay

Hallandale

Everglades

Western

Flanagan 8A-12  = Not Ranked in 8A top 10

2016 Schedule:

Oxbridge Academy

Coconut Creek

South Plantation

Western

Miramar

Everglades

Cypress Bay

Chaminade-Madonna

STA

Bold = Non-District Games

I guess this will fix itself over the season but scratching my head on this one...Same exact District, but Flanagan's non-district is significantly stronger.

Remember...Oxbridge's wins got stripped from the last two years so I have to officially mark it down as 0-12 even though they won 9 games on the field, so that is a factor. Same with Orange City University, 0-10 instead of 8-2 or however far they could have gotten last year. 

Also remember it is not putting a stronger weight on to the non-district games. It might be something to consider.

Overall, the groundwork has been laid. The suggestions of certain tweaks will certainly be helpful in the end.