Niceville vs North Miami Beach (Final 42-6 N'ville, w/ summary)

Rattlin Steele

On 8/25/2022 at 8:00 AM, Dr. D said:

This is the second year for Destin High School (the "Sharks"), and their first year fielding a football team.  The school has about 475 students.  The head coach is E. G. Green, who played at Florida St., and had a stint in the NFL.  They are playing as an independent this year until they get full membership in the FHSAA.  Their first game ever is against perennial small-school power Baker - talk about starting out with a bang!

Man I've been under a rock I guess.. News to me.  Good to hear, they've been wanting one over there for a while.  Wish Coach Green well.  His dad was a good one over at FWB.

32 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Yea I remember they were in talks about it before I left Hurlburt in 2018.

They started out slow but have big plans for expansion, eventually going towards 800 students.  It's actually a charter school, so the process is a little different.  Niceville HS has gotten some students/athletes from that area over the years, but it's biggest impact will be drawing students away from Fort Walton Beach HS.  (Enjoyed my 4 years at Hurlburt in the 2000s, plus many years at Eglin, AD & civilian).  Thanks again for your service!

1 hour ago, Dr. D said:

They started out slow but have big plans for expansion, eventually going towards 800 students.  It's actually a charter school, so the process is a little different.  Niceville HS has gotten some students/athletes from that area over the years, but it's biggest impact will be drawing students away from Fort Walton Beach HS.  (Enjoyed my 4 years at Hurlburt in the 2000s, plus many years at Eglin, AD & civilian).  Thanks again for your service!

You're very welcome and likewise. I was on Eglin and Hurlburt from 2010 to 2018.

First off thank both of you for your service.  I'm ancient. USAF Eglin 1976-1980.  Never left.  

Game Recap:

NV  Eagles (4S) over NMB Chargers (2M) 42-6.

NMB takes opening drive, gets early big play, few more good plays. Score.  NV adjusts, shuts them out rest of the way.  No real other threat.

NV scores 1st poss.  Offense gets going over 1st half.  Up 21-6.  Offense stays pretty sharp, gave up a couple forced fumbles, but overall had it's way.  Punted 2 or 3 times in game.

Micah Turner with dramatic stats : 13 carries, 98 yd, 5 TDs, but split time with another RB (Demontre Allen) who actually started and had more carries.  Turner used mostly on short yardage wildcat, thus the TDs.

NV Team Thoughts:

Stayed pretty vanilla.  Mostly read option with minimal QB runs.  Wildcat in very shortage.  A few jet sweeps, bubble screens, RB flairs sprinkled in.  Only a couple of downfield passes, both ~12 yd sideline outs.

New QB (Harrison Orr -been on team, not much as QB, very good defender) didn't throw a whole lot so too early to tell.  Didn't run much either.  Good zip and adequate accuracy when he did.  Decent size/strength for HS.

OL - pretty stout, 3 or 4th round quality, thus the vanilla O tonight.  

WR - couldn't tell much.  Did see some excellent blocking on the edge a few times.  Decent YAC in the few opportunities presented. 

D - Other than big play on 1st drive didn't allow much.  Pretty stout in the interior.  Very good LB play.  Yet to be tested against quality passing team.  Pretty quick in the secondary, overall good tackling in space.  Will get aggressive in passing situations.  Handful of sacks, and when athletic QB broke out recovery was pretty good.

ST - Very good.  Pretty decent kicker.  Very good punter.  No return opportunities to speak of.

Overall, potential to get round 3 or 4 of playoffs if the QB can throw when we need it.  Have a small # of FBS athletes, pretty decent looking in the trenches.  Good start to season.  Ocala Vanguard up next.

NMB Thoughts:

Athletic, fast.  Short roster, probably a number of two-ways.  Wore down due to NV conditioning late.  Decent passing attack, but not so much when forced to.  Several sacks.  Kicking/Punting not so good.

• Rattlin Steele changed the title to Niceville vs North Miami Beach (Final 42-6 N'ville, w/ summary)
On 8/23/2022 at 10:04 PM, nolebull813 said:

Niceville will win by 28. NMB loves to go play teams they can’t compete with for some reason 

Bump for accuracy.  Actually gave NMB too much credit. I thought they would “only” lose by 4 touchdowns. Really bad team. Niceville won’t learn much from this game. Just stay hungry and remember this week all you are focusing on is going 1-0!!!!!

NMB just didn't have enough players regardless of how athletic they may be.  They were gassed early on a warm night playing both ways.  Niceville QB got to see his first actual game action which was a good thing.  First year as a QB, played safety as a sophomore last year.  Has potential to be good, good size, athletic, but still suffering a bit of a bad ankle.  Good learning experience.  Hope the NMB players had fun at a packed Eagles stadium.