Winter Haven 28 Ridge 21

Hwy17

Ridge was up 21-7 at halftime.  Winter Haven scores 21 unanswered to win.  Wasn't there but sounds like a heck of a game.    I'm telling you, keep an eye on Winter Haven, I believe they are the sleeper in 7a.  Too bad the last week's game with Lake Gibson was cancelled.  

http://www.theledger.com/article/20160909/SPORTS01/160909370/1008?tc=cr

I would say yes.  I don't remember much about Denison stadium in Winter Haven but I know K-leen will be hostile rivalry game on the road and there's no shortage of talent on that roster.

Honestly,  had WH remained in 6a, I think they would have made a run last year.  The new playoff format is needed for situations like theirs was.  I haven't seen them play since 2014 but I hear they are pretty stacked.  Having a week off didn't help, but when you can come back from being down like they were against Ridge tells me they got a team there. 

Honestly,  had WH remained in 6a, I think they would have made a run last year.  The new playoff format is needed for situations like theirs was.  I haven't seen them play since 2014 but I hear they are pretty stacked.  Having a week off didn't help, but when you can come back from being down like they were against Ridge tells me they got a team there. 

Yeah, when the schools were realigned there was a lot of grumbling as many of the traditional powerhouses would eventually knock each other out as apposed to representing Polk in different classes.  That being said, the Winter Haven game is also on the road.  We'll see how Lakeland stacks up.

Yeah, when the schools were realigned there was a lot of grumbling as many of the traditional powerhouses would eventually knock each other out as apposed to representing Polk in different classes. That being said, the Winter Haven game is also on the road. We'll see how Lakeland stacks up.

If they both in same county will home field really make that much of a difference?

If they both in same county will home field really make that much of a difference?

It may or may not.  Lakeland tends to travel well.  Granted, Polk is not a large county in terms of population (~600,000), it is a spread out county and with 15 in-county games that night home field could make a world of difference if the school has a large following.  Kathleen and Winter Haven have that following and they're both at home.  Also, no one will know how this Lakeland team plays on the road until the WH game and that could be to their advantage or detriment.  The Winter Haven game will be the only one in town and the Kathleen is, the Kathleen game.  That game will be sold out. 

Lakeland should be fine. There is just something about Carol City's speed that they cannot match up with. Winter Haven will be a good test. They are almost mirror images of each other. Very experienced at the skilled positions. Lakeland needs to clean up some things up that CC exposed. Same thing happened last season. Lakeland/Winter Haven should be a great game and would expect it to be close, like last year. Game location usually doesn't matter for Polk County matchups. If both teams are in the running, it should be packed on both sides.