Class 3A, week 4

SPCjessica2004

Good afternoon! Here's my updated 3A thoughts and opinions:

1) Jacksonville Trinity Christian (2-1), despite the loss to Cocoa in week 1, I think JaxTCA's strength of schedule gives them the nod over their closest competitors. They destroyed a good Columbia team and had another game game against #1 in 2A University Christian of Jacksonville. Upcoming games against Tallahassee Lincoln, Godby, IMG and a underrated Pine Forrest game remain alongside the district schedule.

2) Clearwater Central Catholic (3-0), the Marauders have gotten better every week and last week, a 35-3 win over DeSoto County was their best effort. The Marauders should finally be 100% healthy this week as they welcome an undefeated Clearwater Academy International team lead by one of the better players you've never heard of Janiero Crankfield that has yet to give up a point this year. CCC's big game will be in 2 weeks against Tampa Catholic, they also have an interesting game coming up against Ocala Trinity in a few weeks.

3) Oxbridge Academy (3-0), there probably isn't a team playing better football in 3A than Oxbridge; however, that tough schedule means injuries are starting to take its toll. Oxbridge has a huge game against an improving American Heritage in a few weeks; however, this week against West Orange isn't a walkover for the Thunderwolves. The Warriors haven't played up to par this year, but will still present a very good Oxbridge team a challenge.

4) Ocala Trinity Catholic- Trinity Catholic jumps into the 4th spot after a strong win over Lake Weir. Trinity doesn't have the body of work the teams above them due to weather issues, but there's enough talent here that I'm willing to take a chance on them in the top 5.

5) Chaminade-Madonna- The Lions lost last week to a very good Cardinal Gibbons team and then followed that up with dropping a week 11 game against IMG Academy. A smart move by the Lions who are trying to make noise in class 3A this year. I still think player for player this is the most talented team in 3A, but it's clear that this program is going to need a few more weeks to hit prime time.

I dropped Tampa Catholic from my top 5 after being manhandled by Bergen Catholic. It came down to Tampa Catholic and Chaminade and right now, I believe that Chaminade is better than Tampa Catholic so the Lions get the nod. Tampa Catholic plays a good Fort Pierce Central team this week and then hosts CCC in 2 weeks in a huge rivalry game. In other words, the Crusaders will have a chance to jump back into the top 5. I understand that some may feel it's questionable NOT to drop Chaminade despite the loss to Gibbons, but I still believe they're a top 5 team.

OTC travels to Wakulla this Friday. Always a tough 5A team, Wakulla is Senior laden this year. Many of their top producers are Seniors. They have a big RB Brandon Berry 6' 225. And their main WR Kelton Donaldson is a good receiver. This being said they have only averaged 15 points per game. They defeated Trenton 16-0 and then lost to Madison 21-14. This shows me that they have a so so offense and a pretty good defense unlike the high scoring War Eagles previously. I think that the OTC engine is just getting started and will give Walkulla all they want. If we can stop Berry then we defeat them. My thoughts are that this game, against a solid 5A team, will determine where in the 3A pecking order Trinity Catholic belongs.  :unsure:

Proseteye,

I am hoping Jess is correct on TCA. I hope that some tuff upcoming games gets them strong enough for the post season. They have alot of work to do in order to get back to where they were the last 3 years. They have the talent and athletes but need more time to get to playing as a team. I do look forward to the outcome of OTC's game this week.

Proseteye,

I am hoping Jess is correct on TCA. I hope that some tuff upcoming games gets them strong enough for the post season. They have alot of work to do in order to get back to where they were the last 3 years. They have the talent and athletes but need more time to get to playing as a team. I do look forward to the outcome of OTC's game this week.

There are down years for all teams, even STA. Look at Manatee and Lakeland. Buchholz was the pits about 5 years ago. Now they are a class act in 7A. Just comes a time when a team loses a lot of exceptional starters to graduation and it takes a couple of seasons to reload. TCA may be going through that now. With the athletes we have now and being a senior laden team, I feel we will defeat Wakulla.

I think Wakulla wins this one by 14. They are big,strong,fast and play with a nasty streak, I just think Wakulla will keep pounding the rock and play great defense and wear trinity down.  

I don't know Tigerfan. Wakulla actually has a smaller roster than OTC. Also, The Celtics may be one of the best conditioned teams in the state. HC Sturdivant is a conditioning freak and puts his players through trial by fire. I really don't see them wearing OTC down. Wakulla will have home field advantage and the Celtics have to travel 4 hours. We have, however. defeated Wakulla on their field when they were a power in 5A. All this being said, the reality will play out on the field in Crawfordville.