MaxPreps Preseason Ratings - Suburban

Dr. D

And the top 4 teams in each Suburban classification, based on MaxPreps' starting Power Ratings.

4S

1. Bartam Trail
  2. Osceola
  3. Lakeland
  4. Venice

3S

1. Mainland
  2. Rockledge
  3. Lake Wales
  4. Pine Forest

2S

1. Cocoa
  2. FSU High
  3. South Sumter
  4. Pensacola Catholic

1S

1. First Baptist
  2. North Florida Christian
  3. Trinity Catholic
  4. John Carroll

1R

1. Pahokee
  2. Hawthorne
  3. Northview
  4. Union County

9 hours ago, Dr. D said:

And the top 4 teams in each Suburban classification, based on MaxPreps' starting Power Ratings.

4S

1. Bartam Trail
  2. Osceola
  3. Lakeland
  4. Venice

3S

1. Mainland
  2. Rockledge
  3. Lake Wales
  4. Pine Forest

2S

1. Cocoa
  2. FSU High
  3. South Sumter
  4. Pensacola Catholic

1S

1. First Baptist
  2. North Florida Christian
  3. Trinity Catholic
  4. John Carroll

1R

1. Pahokee
  2. Hawthorne
  3. Northview
  4. Union County

Serious question:  how can you have a pre-season "Power Rating?"  What are each team's 'power rating' based upon?  How the team performed last year?  Particularly stupid for high school teams that lose  60-70% of the starters every year, on average.   Sports writers voting like in college?  Yeah, you've got a handful (if that) of season, grizzled veteran writers across the state that care enough to dig into how each team in the state should perform this season; the rest are lucky to know who the best team in their city is going to be and know very little about the rest of the state.  And, obviously, the power rating can't be based on how the teams have performed thus far because no one has played a single game.  

So, what's it based on? 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Serious question:  how can you have a pre-season "Power Rating?"  What are each team's 'power rating' based upon?  How the team performed last year?  Particularly stupid for high school teams that lose  60-70% of the starters every year, on average.   Sports writers voting like in college?  Yeah, you've got a handful (if that) of season, grizzled veteran writers across the state that care enough to dig into how each team in the state should perform this season; the rest are lucky to know who the best team in their city is going to be and know very little about the rest of the state.  And, obviously, the power rating can't be based on how the teams have performed thus far because no one has played a single game.  

So, what's it based on? 

My serious answer..... they simply should wait until 4 or 5 regular season games have been played before making any such pronouncements.  Even then, it isn't an exact science but at least they would have some DATA to answer some of the questions you pose.  

OK, so I have reason to believe that Dr. D is actually "MaxPreps" in disguise and that he's testing out his Florida pre-season rankings on this highly educated audience before releasing them to the general public. 

Per MaxPrep's website (Under Florida high school rankings for 2023-24), it says:  "MaxPreps hasn't released rankings for football (2023) yet. Our rankings algorithm requires a minimum number of games played before we can accurately rank teams. Please check back soon."

:D

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

My serious answer..... they simply should wait until 4 or 5 regular season games have been played before making any such pronouncements.  Even then, it isn't an exact science but at least they would have some DATA to answer some of the questions you pose.  

You know, Ray, when we keep it to football, we tend to think alike more often than not.   ;)

I agree with you 100%.   Give if a few games before putting the rankings out.   Then again, I'm not trying to promote a business that involves high school sports, either.  

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

You know, Ray, when we keep it to football, we tend to think alike more often than not.   ;)

I agree with you 100%.   Give if a few games before putting the rankings out.   Then again, I'm not trying to promote a business that involves high school sports, either.  

I think most people have alot more in common than not, which is why some of my best friends that disagree with me on some social issues don't let those overshadow the "MOST IMPORTANT" issues.  There is a strong possibility that you fall into that category. :D

6 hours ago, Perspective said:

So, what's it based on? 

Talent perception and other intangibles that don't mean a thing until the games are played.