Commenting on High School Football Officiating.

Jambun82

7 hours ago, Trelle said:

Why not?

Are you not an independent contractor whose pay comes from the school and/or state? You agreed wether or not it’s a lot or a little, to a monetary agreement to to this jobs which is paid for by tax payers. If my money or anyone else’s is paying for you to do a job, then we as tax payers have the right comment, judge, or petition for change. Your paid just as a teacher is paid, if we have concerns with a teacher we can either take it to the school or the school board. If we have an issue with a contractor doing road maintenance we’re allowed to bring it up to our city council or city maintenance manager. Don’t forget your place and say you demand things or people have no authority to question things. If anything we have more power than you. There’s a difference between you not liking what we have to say, and us voicing a concern. You can be fired, we can’t. You’re a public servant at the end of the day, don’t forget that.

Hahahaha, thank you for the great laugh, Trelle! 

3 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

I, and every single person on this board and in this country, has the authority to make any comment we wish. You see, in the United States, we have what's called The Constitution, which has many amendments. One of the amendments, the very first one as a matter of fact, protects the speech of citizens. The rest of the reply was covered by Trelle above.

The issue is that you don't what you are talking about when it comes to officials, officiating, and the concerns, problems, that officials care about and deal with. Have you ever wondered why there is a severe shortage of High School Sports Officials Nationwide?  

1 hour ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

So its like witchcraft or something? You guys have a rosetta stone? A secret handshake? Skull and Bones organization? Maybe we found the illuminatii here on this board. All the time I thought it was the politicians running the shadow world from some pizza store in suburban Washington DC. But nope, its those damned esoteric zebras.

I just wonder if other professions took that attitude, how you would change your tune. Imagine your kid's teacher saying something to that effect: "You don;' know what we are looking for, we won't explain it to you and we NEVER will"?!

I BET you'd rip him/her a new one telling them about all the things they can and can't teach. All the books they can and can't use. What parts of history they have to leave out. I'd bet you feel that way about most anything you don't agree with.

At the end of the day, I wonder what you think this forum is for? Officiating is a huge part of the game. We're just supposed to quietly ignore bad calls? You think we are incapable of not only discerning a missed call when we have the benefit of replay at home and the ref doesn't, but also that we don't even have the right to complain??? WOW! Sounds like some authoritarian type shit right there. Check yourself, Kim Jam-bun...

How about this ExplorerHomer2, provide officials with pensions, paid sick time, health insurance, etc. similar to what other Government Employees receive and then we can talk about officials being "public servants" who have to answer to the whims of fans who sit in the bleachers and cheer. How about that? 

15 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

How about this ExplorerHomer2, provide officials with pensions, paid sick time, health insurance, etc. similar to what other Government Employees receive and then we can talk about officials being "public servants" who have to answer to the whims of fans who sit in the bleachers and cheer. How about that? 

I agree refs should be compensated fairly but thats on you guys. Come together & form an association where you actually have some power. Til then the ppl are gonna complain when games are being rigged or called unfairly. Sad but its what it is, either respect it & see to change or get on here & act like the police. Either way nothing won’t change til the officials come together & change it. 

17 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

The issue is that you don't what you are talking about when it comes to officials, officiating, and the concerns, problems, that officials care about and deal with. Have you ever wondered why there is a severe shortage of High School Sports Officials Nationwide?  

Well, first, your opinion as to my qualifications or lack thereof is irrelevant to my freedom to criticize or question officiating. You don't have the authority to tell me I can't question or criticize officiating. That you seem to think you do have this authority is revealing of problems with the mindset held by at least some officials.

Second, the point I'm driving home here is about how, despite the rulebooks saying the same things, how holding and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are called in high school is quite different from college or the pros. What this means is that you, and other officials like you, are disagreeing not with me or other fans...but with other officials at levels of the game superior to yours. And so that means you'd actually end up debating those more high qualified officials over how/when to enforce these penalties. So, I've been trying to get you to tell us what kinds of points you'd make to these more highly qualified officials to justify your different approach to enforcement. That you won't do it only serves to demonstrate the problems in how high school officials see themselves and their roles in the games. 

9 hours ago, cribboy305 said:

I agree refs should be compensated fairly but thats on you guys. Come together & form an association where you actually have some power. Til then the ppl are gonna complain when games are being rigged or called unfairly. Sad but its what it is, either respect it & see to change or get on here & act like the police. Either way nothing won’t change til the officials come together & change it. 

There would be no High School Football games if that happened. 

7 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

Well, first, your opinion as to my qualifications or lack thereof is irrelevant to my freedom to criticize or question officiating. You don't have the authority to tell me I can't question or criticize officiating. That you seem to think you do have this authority is revealing of problems with the mindset held by at least some officials.

Second, the point I'm driving home here is about how, despite the rulebooks saying the same things, how holding and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are called in high school is quite different from college or the pros. What this means is that you, and other officials like you, are disagreeing not with me or other fans...but with other officials at levels of the game superior to yours. And so that means you'd actually end up debating those more high qualified officials over how/when to enforce these penalties. So, I've been trying to get you to tell us what kinds of points you'd make to these more highly qualified officials to justify your different approach to enforcement. That you won't do it only serves to demonstrate the problems in how high school officials see themselves and their roles in the games. 

I repeat, you know nothing about high school officiating, and you never will. Thankfully, officials do not have to deal with people like you too often. 

10 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

Well, first, your opinion as to my qualifications or lack thereof is irrelevant to my freedom to criticize or question officiating. You don't have the authority to tell me I can't question or critic ize officiating. That you seem to think you do have this authority is revealing of problems with the mindset held by at least some officials.

That part right there is what drives coaches crazy on the sidelines. I will add that most officials seem to not have egos and are in it for the kids. I guess the same can be said for coaches as well.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:37 PM, Longtime Observer said:

I will repeat this again. You have no qualifications and are not qualified to critique and rate high school officials or officiating. You don't know anything about the subject, you think that you know, but you don't know, and you NEVER WILL.

20 hours ago, THAT S--T WAS FUNNY said:

That part right there is what drives coaches crazy on the sidelines. I will add that most officials seem to not have egos and are in it for the kids. I guess the same can be said for coaches as well.

You are as qualified as Longtime Observer to rate and critique high school officials or officiating. That means not-at-all.  

16 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Whatever or however I act in my life, in any situation, is none of your business. 

Well, how you may act in your role as an official for high school or youth sports IS the business of all stakeholders in the sport. Again, it seems clear you think you're above any sort of criticism. But, you are mistaken.

8 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

Well, how you may act in your role as an official for high school or youth sports IS the business of all stakeholders in the sport. Again, it seems clear you think you're above any sort of criticism. But, you are mistaken.

How I act in my life, in any situation, is none of your business either. 

40 minutes ago, THAT S--T WAS FUNNY said:

Jambun you are more than welcome for me calling you a TURD....Whenever you need another  "compliment" just let me know. I got a bunch for people like you.

That is good to read. Keep the compliments coming. Since you are not qualified to critique or rate officials or officiating, complimenting me seems to be something that you might have some knowledge of, maybe.   

15 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

That is good to read. Keep the compliments coming. Since you are not qualified to critique or rate officials or officiating, complimenting me seems to be something that you might have some knowledge of, maybe.   

Maybe I am more qualified than you think.  I might even be an official like you.  

High school football officiating plays a pivotal role in the integrity and safety of the game. It's a demanding and often underappreciated responsibility that deserves our recognition and support.

First and foremost, high school football officials are entrusted with upholding the rules of the game. Their knowledge of the rulebook and their ability to make quick, accurate decisions on the field are crucial in maintaining a fair and competitive environment for student-athletes. These officials are the guardians of the game's integrity, ensuring that every player has an equal opportunity to succeed.

Moreover, officiating in high school football is not just about enforcing rules; it's also about promoting sportsmanship and respect among players, coaches, and fans. Officials serve as role models, demonstrating the importance of fair play, discipline, and teamwork. Their presence on the field goes beyond signaling penalties; it sets the tone for how the game should be played and watched.

It's essential to remember that high school football officiating is often a thankless job. These individuals dedicate countless hours to studying the rulebook, attending training sessions, and officiating games, all while facing criticism and sometimes even hostility from passionate fans and coaches. Despite these challenges, they persevere because of their love for the sport and their commitment to the young athletes who take the field.

To improve high school football officiating, it's crucial for communities, schools, and athletic associations to provide ongoing training and support for officials. This includes mentorship programs, regular feedback, and fair compensation for their time and efforts. Recognizing the importance of their role and showing appreciation can go a long way in attracting and retaining qualified officials.

In conclusion, high school football officiating is an essential component of the sport, ensuring fairness, safety, and sportsmanship. Let's acknowledge the dedication of these individuals and work together to support their efforts in making high school football a positive and enriching experience for all involved.

6 hours ago, Hssports said:

Moreover, officiating in high school football is not just about enforcing rules; it's also about promoting sportsmanship and respect among players, coaches, and fans. Officials serve as role models, demonstrating the importance of fair play, discipline, and teamwork. Their presence on the field goes beyond signaling penalties; it sets the tone for how the game should be played and watched.

I think Kim Jam-Bun should read this little excerpt from Chat GPT here...

8 hours ago, Hssports said:

High school football officiating plays a pivotal role in the integrity and safety of the game. It's a demanding and often underappreciated responsibility that deserves our recognition and support.

First and foremost, high school football officials are entrusted with upholding the rules of the game. Their knowledge of the rulebook and their ability to make quick, accurate decisions on the field are crucial in maintaining a fair and competitive environment for student-athletes. These officials are the guardians of the game's integrity, ensuring that every player has an equal opportunity to succeed.

It's essential to remember that high school football officiating is often a thankless job. These individuals dedicate countless hours to studying the rulebook, attending training sessions, and officiating games, all while facing criticism and sometimes even hostility from passionate fans and coaches. Despite these challenges, they persevere because of their love for the sport and their commitment to the young athletes who take the field.

To improve high school football officiating, it's crucial for communities, schools, and athletic associations to provide ongoing training and support for officials. This includes mentorship programs, regular feedback, and fair compensation for their time and efforts. Recognizing the importance of their role and showing appreciation can go a long way in attracting and retaining qualified officials.

In conclusion, high school football officiating is an essential component of the sport, ensuring fairness, safety, and sportsmanship. Let's acknowledge the dedication of these individuals and work together to support their efforts in making high school football a positive and enriching experience for all involved.

This is a great post. Welcome to the message board, Hssports. You have made more great points in this one post than several other posters have made in years of posting to this message board. Thank you again.