NIL coming to Florida? FHSAA requests public feedback

Nulli Secundus

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

I just don't see you can reconcile NIL, on the one hand, and recruiting, on the other hand, in high school sports.    

Colleges are allowed to recruit. It's a major part of whether a team/coach is successful.  And once a school has signaled its intent to recruit a particular player, the collective affiliated with that particular college or university can then step in and try to negotiate a NIL deal with the player being recruited.   Somewhat oversimplified, but I think that's accurate.

High schools are not allowed to recruit.   If anyone associated with a school (coach, parent, booster, etc.) offers/promises to do anything for a prospective transfer student to lure that student to their school, that's recruiting.  And, as the rules are currently written, that's illegal.  Similarly, if anyone (most likely a parent or booster) does anything for a particular player that isn't done for all other students, that's considered to be an impermissible benefit.  And that's also illegal. 

So, how do you re-write the rules to allow NIL without removing the "no recruiting" and "no impermissible benefits" sections of the rules?   Almost by definition, anyone that forms a collective or who personally signs someone to an NIL deal would be considered "a representative of the school’s athletic interests."   If you re-write all these rules to allow NIL, what will you be left with?   

MORE CHAOS!!

4 hours ago, SportsFan said:

The problem is when the FHSAA can't really police recruiting it becomes Irrelevant

There are schools who have been told are recruiting and are even on the FHSAA radar because they know it but until a parent or player turns on the school they are getting away with it 

That brings me to this, if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around does it make a sound? So if someone's recruiting and nobody can actually prove it to the FHSAA what's going to happen to them at all? NIL will just open up another can of worms and make it even more impossible to try and restrict it and that will be the problem we as a state are stuck with because politicians who know nothing about athletics are going to do whatever they want without giving a crap what chaos they create 

Serious question (for everyone):  I know the FHSAA had to back down on the school choice issue, but has the governor, the legislature or anyone else in Tallahassee explicitly or implicitly threatened the FHSAA for cracking down on recruiting?   In other words, why can't the FHSAA be more proactive when it comes to investigating schools that recruit?   If memory serves me correct, the FHSAA was very active a decade or so ago with respect to making sure kids went to the schools for which they were zoned (and making sure there were no apartment deals or other impermissible benefits).   Why can't they do the same thing now with recruiting?   Is someone putting pressure on them to turn a blind eye to recruiting?   Who?   And if you believe that to be the case, please be as factually detailed with your response as possible.  Thanks. 

21 hours ago, Perspective said:

Serious question (for everyone):  I know the FHSAA had to back down on the school choice issue, but has the governor, the legislature or anyone else in Tallahassee explicitly or implicitly threatened the FHSAA for cracking down on recruiting?   In other words, why can't the FHSAA be more proactive when it comes to investigating schools that recruit?   If memory serves me correct, the FHSAA was very active a decade or so ago with respect to making sure kids went to the schools for which they were zoned (and making sure there were no apartment deals or other impermissible benefits).   Why can't they do the same thing now with recruiting?   Is someone putting pressure on them to turn a blind eye to recruiting?   Who?   And if you believe that to be the case, please be as factually detailed with your response as possible.  Thanks. 

There's no sense in chasing pots of gold at the end of rainbow without proof or people willing to report "alleged" misconduct.  Investigations cost money and those Max Preps checks only go so far, lol.

On 3/6/2024 at 2:42 PM, Perspective said:

The governor has said in the past that they would pull the FHSAA funding if they ever tried to separate privates and publics or if they tried to interfere with state law (such as the school choice) 

Now that the FHSAA board of directors included 8 people appointed directly by desantis (which alone is a voting majority on the board) it's clear the governor's office and their political party has unanimous control over high school athletics in the state of Florida 

4 hours ago, SportsFan said:

The governor has said in the past that they would pull the FHSAA funding if they ever tried to separate privates and publics or if they tried to interfere with state law (such as the school choice) 

Now that the FHSAA board of directors included 8 people appointed directly by desantis (which alone is a voting majority on the board) it's clear the governor's office and their political party has unanimous control over high school athletics in the state of Florida 

Understood.   But how does this impact or affect the FHSAA's position on recruiting?   Do the powers-to-be want schools to be able to recruit? 

46 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Understood.   But how does this impact or affect the FHSAA's position on recruiting?   Do the powers-to-be want schools to be able to recruit? 

The powers that be don't want anything that restricts an athlete or their ability to chose to attend any school regardless of the reason would be how I would phrase it

I would also say by the state leadership personally assigning a voting majority to the FHSAA board of directors it's clear going forward everything the FHSAA does will be in the best interests of the people in Tallahassee not the athletes attending schools or the athletic directors or coaches who put in hours upon hours of their lives to help those kids be successful

In general I feel politicians should stay out of high school athletics especially when they don't actually know what the current climate of athletics in this state is and the meeting when they reversed metro suburban showed how out of touch they were