Jump to content

NIL coming to Florida? FHSAA requests public feedback


Nulli Secundus

Recommended Posts


6 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

You know we do things the hard way on FHSF! :D  Speak your mind @DarterBlue2!

To be honest, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I believe that it should be amateur at the high school level, on the other with open transfer season, there's an argument to be made for financial compensation.  The old pay for play concept. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, THAT S--T WAS FUNNY said:

Good luck to the high school coaches out there. Your gonna need it. Sheesh

There will be players whose NIL package is bigger than the head coach's coaching stipend. Superstars may make more than the coach's TOTAL salary. And some of that compensation may come from boosters of the high school. It seems preposterous to say the least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

There will be players whose NIL package is bigger than the head coach's coaching stipend. Superstars may make more than the coach's TOTAL salary. And some of that compensation may come from boosters of the high school. It seems preposterous to say the least.

Would certainly turn the old college model on its head, wouldn't it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Would certainly turn the old college model on its head, wouldn't it?

While it would generally be an awful development, one "problem" could be partly solved. If boosters are able to build "collectives" of some sort to offer enticements to players, new schools could emerge as elite. Schools with big, wealthy booster clubs might be able to attract major talent from across the state or even country. Maybe someone like Vero Beach or Niceville etc could put together impressive "NIL" deals that urban powerhouses with less financially generous booster clubs can't come up with. We could see kids moving from Dade/Broward up to Vero to get some big NIL package. Of course I'm just throwing out random ideas, and I don't know how plausible any of it really is. But, a smaller scale version of the college landscape seems possible if not likely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, THAT S--T WAS FUNNY said:

I can't believe were even talking about this. The fact that this is even a possibility is disturbing. This will push a lot of good coaches out of the profession, which will allow "street agents" to take over more than they already have. 

I agree 100%. You can't really get excited about supporting a "program" when all anyone has is whatever success their boosters/alumni etc can have in persuading teeenagers and their parents to move schools. It's pretty dumb. But, it's basically as dumb at the college level, with the only differences being players are over 18 and the money is much more. It's going to be grossly subpar pro football. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO, the only way the game manages to sustain itself and have fan support with big crowds is to go to an "Open Division" playoff model where all of the top dogs face each other each and every week of the playoffs. A recruited up Lakeland vs. a recruited up Venice...as a first round playoff game would be compelling. The winner faces, say, Miami Columbus...in a second round game. The winner of that plays the winner of Chaminade-STA in a 3rd round game. Etc. Several rounds of mega games with mega powers-most/all of which may be more compelling than ANY of the playoff games in the formats we've had of late- would be neat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

While it would generally be an awful development, one "problem" could be partly solved. If boosters are able to build "collectives" of some sort to offer enticements to players, new schools could emerge as elite. Schools with big, wealthy booster clubs might be able to attract major talent from across the state or even country. Maybe someone like Vero Beach or Niceville etc could put together impressive "NIL" deals that urban powerhouses with less financially generous booster clubs can't come up with. We could see kids moving from Dade/Broward up to Vero to get some big NIL package. Of course I'm just throwing out random ideas, and I don't know how plausible any of it really is. But, a smaller scale version of the college landscape seems possible if not likely. 

Some intriguing things could come out of this that would forever change the nature of high school sports. But, in a sense, it's the logical end game for where we are heading. Celebration in the Orlando metro statistical area may yet bag a football title! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Some intriguing things could come out of this that would forever change the nature of high school sports. But, in a sense, it's the logical end game for where we are heading. Celebration in the Orlando metro statistical area may yet bag a football title! 

Windemere may have something to say about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2024 at 3:19 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

Some intriguing things could come out of this that would forever change the nature of high school sports. But, in a sense, it's the logical end game for where we are heading. Celebration in the Orlando metro statistical area may yet bag a football title! 

The only football title celebration Celebration will celebrate is their name.:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2024 at 9:54 PM, Longtime Observer said:

While it would generally be an awful development, one "problem" could be partly solved. If boosters are able to build "collectives" of some sort to offer enticements to players, new schools could emerge as elite. Schools with big, wealthy booster clubs might be able to attract major talent from across the state or even country. Maybe someone like Vero Beach or Niceville etc could put together impressive "NIL" deals that urban powerhouses with less financially generous booster clubs can't come up with. We could see kids moving from Dade/Broward up to Vero to get some big NIL package. Of course I'm just throwing out random ideas, and I don't know how plausible any of it really is. But, a smaller scale version of the college landscape seems possible if not likely. 

lol before I even read this post just going off the topic I was thinking to myself “Hey maybe something we could be good at up here” (Vero). If something like that would happen I do know our boosters have deep pockets. Hopefully though this doesn’t happen, the sport has already been messed with enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...