spring game scores?

h8r

Went to the Friday jamboree at Palm Beach Gardens. Miami Norland, Coconut Creek, Delray Atlantic and Fort Pierce Westwood played. 

Norland edged Creek 6-0 in 2 quarters on a TD pass with around 10 seconds to go in the opening segment.

Up next was Creek v Westwood. Creek got out to a quick 13-0 lead, but Westwood settled in and cut it to 13-7 and had a good shot to tie or win at the end. 

Norland v Atlantic was next and in an entertaining 2 quarters, Norland came away with (IIRC) a 27 13 win that featured a lot of big plays. 

Atlantic and Westwood finished the evening, pretty much dominating things and leading 20-6 when we left with around 4 minutes to go. 

Random thoughts - I thought Norland was the best team by a decent margin. Creek played them tough, but couldn't get anything going at all on offense against Norland OR Westwood. Atlantic's offense was productive, especially the passing game. Westwood shot themselves in the foot multiple times with penalties (an OPI wiped out a TD pass and a defensive holding wiped out an interception) and turnovers (threw two pick sixes). Still, Westwood has some size up front and some decent skill people. Jabari Monds had a nice 4 quarters of action.

Side note - Why in the world did they start this at 4:00 on a day where it was 93 with a heat index of 106? They could've started at 6:00 and still got everything finished by 10:30.  I thought about going back in the morning for the Treasure Coast, Palm Beach Gardens, Miramar, Hialeah and Homestead segment, but it started at 8:00 and I was zapped from sitting in the heat. Being an old man sucks sometimes.  

Lecanto 37, Williston 35

Delonzo Washington, RB, Lecanto: The Panthers' running back had a big night against Williston in a 37-35 win, with Washington rushing for 140 yards on 15 carries, scoring four touchdowns. On defense, he also picked off a pass. 

Keswick 23, Lakeland Santa Fe 20

Dathan Glover, ATH, Lakeland Santa Fe: In a 23-20 loss to Keswick Christian, Glover showed off his explosiveness. Glover finished with three touchdowns, with one of them being a interception return for a score. 

Winter Park 21, Dr Phillips 14

Grant Conner, QB, Winter Park: The Wildcats' quarterback looked solid in the team's 21-14 win over Dr. Phillips last week. Conner completed 14-of-23 passing for 188 yards and two touchdowns. Also had a rushing score. 

PHU 35, Tarpon Springs 20

Makih Johnson, WR, Tarpon Springs: In just one half of play, Johnson went off in Tarpon Springs' 35-20 loss to Palm Harbor University. The Spongers' wide receiver hauled in six catches for 174 yards and two touchdowns in one half of play. 

OC University 21, Titusville 9

Malachi Walters, QB, University: The Titans had one of the more impressive showings last week through three quarters leading Titusville 21-9. Walters through three quarters of play threw for over 150 yards and two touchdowns. 

10 hours ago, JDHoss said:

I didn't get to make the game. How did White look at QB?

Vero’s offense struggled the entire game, the lone score came on a scoop and score via a fumble. White showed the characteristics of a presumed first year starter. His ability is there no doubt, he’ll just need to settle into the starting role. 

West Boca was much more effective- leaning on their 4* running back Javian Mallory, can see them having another good year. They would have probably won the game had it gone a little longer. 

Apopka 16 Jones 14. Jones scored on an 80 yard bomb a minute into the game. There were no other scores in the first half but on its final drive of the second quarter, Apopka's offense which had been dormant the entire first half finally moved the ball and got inside the Jones 15, but time ran out. This was a harbinger of things to come as on the first drive of the second half, Apopka moved the ball downfield relatively easily and scored to tie the game, in a drive that took about 2:47. 

Apopka then immediately forced a fumble on the ensuing Jones possession and got the ball on the Jones 15. On third and 15 from the 20, Davison found his running back completely unmarked in the end zone and Apopka took a quick 13-7 lead about 4 minutes into the third quarter as the extra point attempt sailed wide right. 

Thereafter, and until the final four minutes of the game, Apopka took control as the Jones team seemed to tire. However, for the rest of the third quarter till past the halfway mark in the fourth, neither team scored. Midway through the fourth, Apopka went on a long drive that stalled at the Jones's four yard line and went backward via penalties thereafter. However, the APK kicker redeemed himself scoring a field goal off the drive to give Apopka a 16-7 lead. Jones trimmed that lead down to 16-14 with just under 2 minutes to go in the game on a nice play that must have went about 50 yards. After the Jones score, with just over a minute left in the game, Apopka fumbled the ball away at their own 43. Jones marched the ball downfield and got a first and goal at the Apopka 8 with around 36 seconds left in the game. But their drive stalled at the 8 yard line and on third and goal Jones decided to kick a field goal for the win with 12 seconds on the clock. The kick was blocked by Apopka which took a knee to end the game. 

Comments on Jones. They looked pretty good on both offense and defense. Their kicking game needs improvement as two field goal attempts including a crucial one were blocked. Interestingly, the kicker made both extra points scored by jones easily. Overall, I expect Jones to be as good as last year and possibly better especially if they pick up further transfers over the summer.

Comments on Apopka. This is a good but very young team. Several of its starters will be sophomores from its undefeated freshman team from 2023. Early in the game, the offense sputtered while the defense was strong the entire game. However, the offense came into its own in the second half as TD the QB made better passes and better overall reads after a slow start. 

This Apopka team should improve as the season wears on. By how much will determine its fate in the playoffs. I am cautiously optimistic that the season will end well. But if it does not, I totally understand why.

50 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Apopka 16 Jones 14. Jones scored on an 80 yard bomb a minute into the game. There were no other scores in the first half but on its final drive of the second quarter, Apopka's offense which had been dormant the entire first half finally moved the ball and got inside the Jones 15, but time ran out. This was a harbinger of things to come as on the first drive of the second half, Apopka moved the ball downfield relatively easily and scored to tie the game, in a drive that took about 2:47. 

Apopka then immediately forced a fumble on the ensuing Jones possession and got the ball on the Jones 15. On third and 15 from the 20, Davison found his running back completely unmarked in the end zone and Apopka took a quick 13-7 lead about 4 minutes into the third quarter as the extra point attempt sailed wide right. 

Thereafter, and until the final four minutes of the game, Apopka took control as the Jones team seemed to tire. However, for the rest of the third quarter till past the halfway mark in the fourth, neither team scored. Midway through the fourth, Apopka went on a long drive that stalled at the Jones's four yard line and went backward via penalties thereafter. However, the APK kicker redeemed himself scoring a field goal off the drive to give Apopka a 16-7 lead. Jones trimmed that lead down to 16-14 with just under 2 minutes to go in the game on a nice play that must have went about 50 yards. After the Jones score, with just over a minute left in the game, Apopka fumbled the ball away at their own 43. Jones marched the ball downfield and got a first and goal at the Apopka 8 with around 36 seconds left in the game. But their drive stalled at the 8 yard line and on third and goal Jones decided to kick a field goal for the win with 12 seconds on the clock. The kick was blocked by Apopka which took a knee to end the game. 

Comments on Jones. They looked pretty good on both offense and defense. Their kicking game needs improvement as two field goal attempts including a crucial one were blocked. Interestingly, the kicker made both extra points scored by jones easily. Overall, I expect Jones to be as good as last year and possibly better especially if they pick up further transfers over the summer.

Comments on Apopka. This is a good but very young team. Several of its starters will be sophomores from its undefeated freshman team from 2023. Early in the game, the offense sputtered while the defense was strong the entire game. However, the offense came into its own in the second half as TD the QB made better passes and better overall reads after a slow start. 

This Apopka team should improve as the season wears on. By how much will determine its fate in the playoffs. I am cautiously optimistic that the season will end well. But if it does not, I totally understand why.

Congrats on the win darter.