Merritt island mustangs

Hog hunter

Merritt island was the last brevard county team to beat cocoa back in 2011 by one point lol yep one point a win is a win as they say and every since then they have ducking and diving too scared to play them again lol come on mighty mustangs maybe one season you'll be not do scared and we can settle once and for all who is the best you schedule teams this s season with more losses then wins combined a couple of the teams did in fact beat u guys last season but why run and hide from cocoa???

We lost 51-7 to Ed White in 2014

2015 we go 12-2 and they missed playoffs that year 

If we played in 2015 we probably flip score but we didn't play mainly since we wanted better teams since the people running schedule knew they wouldn't be as good Even though i want to play Ed White so we can blow them out and shut up the people who still throw that loss in our face 

19 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well cocoa plays up a bunch and takes a lot of out of state teams so are you sure Merritt island ducking them vs the idea that cocoa rather play better teams? 

They've tried to schedule Merritt Island a few times before but ended up playing  other county teams who were willing to play and out of county teams. They play Rockledge every year because that is the big cross town rival. They've also played Palm Bay and Titusville in back to back seasons. And started a nice little rivalry with Viera.

32 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

I'll add the '70's to that Shark. Waldo Williams, Leon Bright, and Jimmy Black are a few that come to this aging mind. They won state championships in 1972, '78, and '79.

Yeah I knew they had been good for a long time.  They would probably make the short list of greatest programs in state history.

16 hours ago, Hog hunter said:

Merritt island was the last brevard county team to beat cocoa back in 2011 by one point lol yep one point a win is a win as they say and every since then they have ducking and diving too scared to play them again lol come on mighty mustangs maybe one season you'll be not do scared and we can settle once and for all who is the best you schedule teams this s season with more losses then wins combined a couple of the teams did in fact beat u guys last season but why run and hide from cocoa???

I would bet the rivalry between Cocoa and Merritt Island became so intense the schools decided it was best if they didn't schedule each other for a few years. The county sheriff were doubled up when the game was at MI, and the Cocoa police were doubled when the game was in Cocoa. Too many threats of drive by shootings so they just stopped playing, it was going beyond rivalry. It was getting out of control. 

Chuck Goldfarb was the man that change the Cocoa football program. He brought in Odom who coached for 2 years, made Cocoa into a winning team then hired John Wilkinson as HC and he brought in Bobby Holloway as DC. They change Cocoa from a 3rd round state playoff team to championship team. Bet Merritt Island wished they hadn't turned Wilkinson away when he applied at MI. Holloway retired from coaching 2012 I believe, and it took a few years for Cocoa to get that Defensive swag back. Looks like they are headed into another collision with Booker T Washington this year. They have a real shot at being undefeated, however they will have their hands full with Mainland and Trinity Jax. Other good games will be Clearwater for the kickoff, Pahokee, and Viera. Treasure Coast should be fairly entertaining also.