Chocawatchee

DisabledAccount

28 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

well they put up a fight against Niceville for a bit but program appears to be in decline atm

Rivals always seem to ha, especially if Fort Walton can put 45 points up which is really shocking considering Niceville holds Fort Walton to 20 points or less every season.

As for Choctaw, it's crazy. They were doing really well and had some awesome players the last couple of years with that run to state before Armwood stopped em. Now a days, dwindling enrollment/lack of talent must be hurting. 

5 minutes ago, Yourbasement said:

Rivals always seem to ha, especially if Fort Walton can put 45 points up which is really shocking considering Niceville holds Fort Walton to 20 points or less every season.

As for Choctaw, it's crazy. They were doing really well and had some awesome players the last couple of years with that run to state before Armwood stopped em. Now a days, dwindling enrollment/lack of talent must be hurting. 

I keep hearing with destin high potentially being built which will pull talent away from Niceville and FWB

do you think the panhandle long era of dominance and window to win state in high classifications might be closing?

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I keep hearing with destin high potentially being built which will pull talent away from Niceville and FWB

do you think the panhandle long era of dominance and window to win state in high classifications might be closing?

can you explain what you mean by panhandle long era of dominance?  The only panhandle team to win a state title since you've been born in a larger class is Pensacola in 2009 and that was 3A(there were only 6 classes then).  I wouldn't call that dominance.

If you are talking about Niceville, I think they will be fine.  Biggest concern for them will be long time head coach John Hicks is set to retire soon.

28 minutes ago, badbird said:

can you explain what you mean by panhandle long era of dominance?  The only panhandle team to win a state title since you've been born in a larger class is Pensacola in 2009 and that was 3A(there were only 6 classes then).  I wouldn't call that dominance.

If you are talking about Niceville, I think they will be fine.  Biggest concern for them will be long time head coach John Hicks is set to retire soon.

There used to be more dominant teams but atm I'm referring to niceville 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

With a new Destin high that might get built? Yea, it'll draw some of the students away (referendum will have to be voted on to see if funds can be acquired). Niceville will continue to stay dominant, but to state is a long road. 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

There used to be more dominant teams but atm I'm referring to niceville 

there hasn't been dominant teams in the panhandle other than Niceville in 3 decades.  Baker, Escambia (Emmitt Smith) and Pine Forest (Derrick Brooks) was dominant in the 80's.  Fort Walton Beach in the 90's (Danny Wuerffel).  They usually don't have the talent to beat the real good schools and now with so many kids transferring to make super teams it hurts their chances even more.  Niceville has benefited from a few transfers over the years that allows them to compete on a state level but I don't think they have won a title since the 80's.  

4 minutes ago, badbird said:

there hasn't been dominant teams in the panhandle other than Niceville in 3 decades.  Baker, Escambia (Emmitt Smith) and Pine Forest (Derrick Brooks) was dominant in the 80's.  Fort Walton Beach in the 90's (Danny Wuerffel).  They usually don't have the talent to beat the real good schools and now with so many kids transferring to make super teams it hurts their chances even more.  Niceville has benefited from a few transfers over the years that allows them to compete on a state level but I don't think they have won a title since the 80's.  

Washington had a few good years in 80s

I'm forgetting one

Defuniak Walton in the 80's but they are also smaller like Baker.  However my point is they are no longer dominant and haven't been for decades.  Pensacola Washington only made the playoffs twice in the 80's.  They did win a state title in 1994 but only made the playoffs one other time in the 90's.  Choctaw also won a state title in 1990 but rarely made the playoffs.

1 minute ago, badbird said:

Defuniak Walton in the 80's but they are also smaller like Baker.  However my point is they are no longer dominant and haven't been for decades.  Pensacola Washington only made the playoffs twice in the 80's.  They did win a state title in 1994 but only made the playoffs one other time in the 90's

While they did not win a state title, the Rutherford Rams did have some pretty strong teams in the late 1990s. I am pretty sure at least one got to the title game and another lost in the semis. 

You are right, it has been long since the Panhandle has had consistent, dominant teams. But recently, things seem to have mostly gotten worse. 

Is this based on population, coaching or other factors? 

I don't consider Rutherford panhandle which is why I didn't mention them but technically it is. Tallahassee is also in the panhandle but I don't consider them either lol.

I think it has to do with population.  Usually they are not as athletic as teams from down South.  You use to could out work people which is what the panhandle did back in the 80's but that is no longer the case.    

1 minute ago, badbird said:

I don't consider Rutherford panhandle which is why I didn't mention them but technically it is. 

I think it has to do with population.  Usually they are not as athletic as teams from down South.  You use to could out work people which is what the panhandle did back in the 80's but that is no longer the case.    

Advent of the widespread (not to pun) spread offensive schemes?

7 minutes ago, badbird said:

100% darterblue.  The game definitely has changed to be a more athletic game as opposed to a more physical game which hurts the type of kids they usually have. 

And yet, I saw a Lake Brantley team (which more closely aligns athletically with the Panhandle) make the state title game in 2006. And, while they lost, if they had done it in a more normal year (not one with a National caliber Northwestern team), would have had a  decent shot (say if it had been 2001 to 2005 or any of the years since 2010 when the big three: Central, Carol City, Northwestern left the top classification). And, there are some teams in other states (Texas and California in particular), that seem to overcome this issue even at the public school level. 

28 minutes ago, badbird said:

I don't consider Rutherford panhandle which is why I didn't mention them but technically it is. Tallahassee is also in the panhandle but I don't consider them either lol.

Geographically everything west of the Apalachicola river is considered the Panhandle.  The major issue in the Panhandle is that the majority of schools are 1A and 4A outside of the Pensacola area and with smaller schools it is difficult to have enough good players year to year so it is kind of a roller coaster ride. The Panama City schools seems to be coaching issues,  but over the next couple keep an eye on Rutherford,  Tillman is a good coach and is building something,

30 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

Geographically everything west of the Apalachicola river is considered the Panhandle.  The major issue in the Panhandle is that the majority of schools are 1A and 4A outside of the Pensacola area and with smaller schools it is difficult to have enough good players year to year so it is kind of a roller coaster ride. The Panama City schools seems to be coaching issues,  but over the next couple keep an eye on Rutherford,  Tillman is a good coach and is building something,

I'm aware of that sharkbait.  I grew up in Okaloosa county.  In my eyes Panama City is just not the same to me as Port St Joe, Crestview, walton, Freeport, Niceville etc.  

50 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

And yet, I saw a Lake Brantley team (which more closely aligns athletically with the Panhandle) make the state title game in 2006. And, while they lost, if they had done it in a more normal year (not one with a National caliber Northwestern team), would have had a  decent shot (say if it had been 2001 to 2005 or any of the years since 2010 when the big three: Central, Carol City, Northwestern left the top classification). And, there are some teams in other states (Texas and California in particular), that seem to overcome this issue even at the public school level. 

I think you can add Boone to that category as well.  The panhandle has had several teams make it and one win it this Century but like sharkbait said most schools are smaller.  

Pine Forest won the state title in 2000 against St Thomas in triple overtime, and Pensacola won in 2009. Derrick Brooks went to Washington. Really and truly, Tate, Navarre, Crestview, and Niceville should all be 7A. They petitioned due to travel. I'm curious how they would do in the 7A region and north. 

32 minutes ago, WhoopWhoop!! said:

Pine Forest won the state title in 2000 against St Thomas in triple overtime, and Pensacola won in 2009. Derrick Brooks went to Washington. Really and truly, Tate, Navarre, Crestview, and Niceville should all be 7A. They petitioned due to travel. I'm curious how they would do in the 7A region and north. 

Which left Lincoln in a three team district.  They are going to make the playoffs this year at 3-7.  I love three team districts.  Smh

8 hours ago, badbird said:

I think you can add Boone to that category as well.  The panhandle has had several teams make it and one win it this Century but like sharkbait said most schools are smaller.  

I excluded Boone, because while they got through Central Florida three years in a row (two semis and a final), when they made the title game, unlike Lake Brantley, they did not demonstrate that they belonged on the same field. 

I think it was a combination of being overawed by the situation and not having an unusual offense like LB's triple option which gave MNW trouble. 

BTW, I have tremendous respect for Coach Ziegler and the staff he had at Boone back then. I thought they were able to maximize what they got out of the talent they had. 

28 minutes ago, Mustangs78 said:

Dang, sounds like no love for the Panhandle these days.  They played as good as it gets back in the 70's and 80's; Escambia, Pine Forest, Milton, Chotaw, Lincoln, Godbey, Leon, etc.  Panhandle will have their day.  Just not in the near future,

Idk about that

Outside of Godby and maybe escambia every team you just listed is not as strong as 80s or 90s or even early 00s teams