Transfers

Jimmyb1980

13 minutes ago, Jimmyb1980 said:

So starting early this year...Treasure Coast starting RB Wilcox transferring to Centennial...on Twitter no less! Is this what high school football has become...soon we are gonna have one or two dominant programs in an area cause all the good players will transfer to same one or two schools 

Free agency leads to the best players concentrating themselves where they think their services will be "best rewarded," whatever that means. 

In free, totally unfettered markets, you always tend to end up with monopoly situations. 

Just now, DarterBlue2 said:

Free agency leads to the best players concentrating themselves where they think their services will be "best rewarded," whatever that means. 

In free, totally unfettered markets, you always tend to end up with monopoly situations. 

Well players will want to play as well so you will have good players leave a all star team to go somewhere they can start so it will become players deciding do they want to win or to be a star so i don't see it being that bad 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well players will want to play as well so you will have good players leave a all star team to go somewhere they can start so it will become players deciding do they want to win or to be a star so i don't see it being that bad 

If you look at South Florida, for example, you have a few powerhouse teams, for example 6A, 16. If all the players involved went to their zoned schools, you would still have a powerhouse or two, but also a lot of the other schools would be a bit better and the powerhouse teams a bit worse. 

In large, urban areas there are not the usual geographic obstacles to transfers. The same would apply to Jax, Orlando and Tampa. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If you look at South Florida, for example, you have a few powerhouse teams, for example 6A, 16. If all the players involved went to their zoned schools, you would still have a powerhouse or two, but also a lot of the other schools would be a bit better and the powerhouse teams a bit worse. 

In large, urban areas there are not the usual geographic obstacles to transfers. The same would apply to Jax, Orlando and Tampa. 

Yes but what would be done to control privates

One of main reason they did open enrollment to my understanding was to limit the advantage private schools naturally get by getting everyone on those same rules

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

One of main reason they did open enrollment to my understanding was to limit the advantage private schools naturally get by getting everyone on those same rules

It is stupid policy to let sports determine open enrollment. There may be some valid reasons for it, but it should not be driven by sports. If there was concern for the advantages of private schools, then there are other ways of limiting/reducing it: 1. Separate classification for privates. 2. Sit out a year on transfer. 3. Open classification to include privates that aspire to build powerhouse sports teams. etc, etc. 

14 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

really?  The Fhsaa has never cared about where a student lives.  That was always up to each county.  Certain counties had open enrollment and others did not.  Now they all have it unless a school is at capacity.  It had absolutely nothing to do with public schools vs privates schools.  

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It is stupid policy to let sports determine open enrollment. There may be some valid reasons for it, but it should not be driven by sports. If there was concern for the advantages of private schools, then there are other ways of limiting/reducing it: 1. Separate classification for privates. 2. Sit out a year on transfer. 3. Open classification to include privates that aspire to build powerhouse sports teams. etc, etc. 

There isn't enough teams to separate privates if you only take 4a-8a

It's less than 32 teams 

To get over 32 you would have to put 3a privates with privates with over 1500 students 

17 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Was that the legislation signed in by Rick Scott back in 2016 that basically allows one student to transfer to the next school without any obstacles? 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It basically grants instant eligibility to transfers

that is true if they make a full and complete move.  If I live in Apopka's zone I can't transfer to West Orange in the middle of the year and play basketball unless I make a full and complete move meaning my whole family moves there.   Now if West orange is under capacity and I fill out the proper paperwork I can request to go there but most counties have a window of when paperwork has to be completed and it is for the next school year.