Horrible news situation at Stoneman Douglas

BrowardHandicapper

some monsters seem to be born that way..others are created.  It's not a matter of rationalizing these atrocities.  It is a matter of better understanding what factors create the killer.  Not too long ago, it used to be common practice to give people lobotomies.  Then we figured out that there were other ways to help people once thought of as helpless.     

Take a pit bull puppy with a genetic predisposition toward hyperaggressive behavior, pull it from its mother very early, deny it basic needs (food/shelter/safety), make it live in isolation, systematically abuse it over years, encourage aggressive behavior, and what have you created...a killing machine.  

"If you have a happy childhood, but killer genes, you might just stand a good chance of living a normal, adult life. If a potential killer has the wrong genetics and a terrible childhood, then it's a dangerous time bomb waiting to happen.  In the Anatomy of Violence, criminologist Adrian Raine believes there are both biological and environmental traits that can turn a child into a cold-blooded killer. Some of the potential traits of a killer includes: being male, a low resting heart rate, brain damage, and a mother who smoked and drank throughout pregnancy, children who are separated from parents before the age of three, or if their parents don't engage with them at a young age. FBI Profiler Jim Clemente explained, Genetics loads the gun, their personality and psychology aim it, and their experiences pull the trigger.  Researching some of the most notorious serial killers ever known, they all show distinct patterns of childhood abuse and early trauma."

4 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Just wicked. It is kind of like calling Hitler mentally ill. 

They probably said hitler was mentally ill too... What bothers me is they keep calling this grown Jit a orphanage kid and trying to show compassion for him.. Not once they called him thug or terrorist... Losten folks like that has always been there and always will.. They’ve been doing these mass killings since before.. They did it to hijack this country we love in now. That’s what they do and that’s why their unbothered. Idk none of these kids but I’m so upset with this and everytime some coward those this ... man that coach will forever be Gucci in the coach club..

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but the athletic director and coach/security guard that gave their lives to save kids are true heroes. The next day, I was in a group text with my coaching buddies and we all just wondered what we'd do in a similar situation. Now teachers feel like they need to keep classrooms locked at all times. Such a sad situation. 

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

some monsters seem to be born that way..others are created.  It's not a matter of rationalizing these atrocities.  It is a matter of better understanding what factors create the killer.  Not too long ago, it used to be common practice to give people lobotomies.  Then we figured out that there were other ways to help people once thought of as helpless.     

Take a pit bull puppy with a genetic predisposition toward hyperaggressive behavior, pull it from its mother very early, deny it basic needs (food/shelter/safety), make it live in isolation, systematically abuse it over years, encourage aggressive behavior, and what have you created...a killing machine.  

"If you have a happy childhood, but killer genes, you might just stand a good chance of living a normal, adult life. If a potential killer has the wrong genetics and a terrible childhood, then it's a dangerous time bomb waiting to happen.  In the Anatomy of Violence, criminologist Adrian Raine believes there are both biological and environmental traits that can turn a child into a cold-blooded killer. Some of the potential traits of a killer includes: being male, a low resting heart rate, brain damage, and a mother who smoked and drank throughout pregnancy, children who are separated from parents before the age of three, or if their parents don't engage with them at a young age. FBI Profiler Jim Clemente explained, Genetics loads the gun, their personality and psychology aim it, and their experiences pull the trigger.  Researching some of the most notorious serial killers ever known, they all show distinct patterns of childhood abuse and early trauma."

Man let me keep it simple for you it’s called having hate in your heart n being a savage..

1 minute ago, DB4 said:

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but the athletic director and coach/security guard that gave their lives to save kids are true heroes. The next day, I was in a group text with my coaching buddies and we all just wondered what we'd do in a similar situation. Now teachers feel like they need to keep classrooms locked at all times. Such a sad situation. 

You have to..

1 hour ago, DB4 said:

Seems like I heard/read somewhere that at least one other kid knew of him bringing guns to school.

I could see where peer pressure might cause a kid to keep his mouth shut.  Maybe there is a discussion in there somewhere to have with the kids...the possible consequences of not speaking up.  Douglas does not seem like the type of school where kids would feel compelled to bring a gun there to defend themselves.  If kids even in good neighborhoods are becoming desensitized, ie bringing guns to school is "normal," that is really concerning.  

44 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Seems like I heard/read somewhere that at least one other kid knew of him bringing guns to school.

I could see where peer pressure might cause a kid to keep his mouth shut.  Maybe there is a discussion in there somewhere to have with the kids...the possible consequences of not speaking up.  Douglas does not seem like the type of school where kids would feel compelled to bring a gun there to defend themselves.  If kids even in good neighborhoods are becoming desensitized, ie bringing guns to school is "normal," that is really concerning.  

Yeah no school should be a school where kids would feel compelled to defend themselves.   That part of Coral Springs and Parkland area is a very affluent area.  Coral Springs High Schools over the last 5 years or so may have had a few individual shootings or code red gun threats,   but I don't believe they were at Douglas.   The other High Schools in Coral Springs have significantly different demographics and are more in the  lower middle class, middle class arena.

Here is some updated data on Coral Springs public High Schools:

STONEMAN DOUGLAS HIGH

•  

Ethnic Breakdown

School Totals

White   1784 - 55.6%
    Black/African American    386 - 12.0%
    Hispanic   671 - 20.9%
    Multi-Racial   99 - 3.08%
    Asian   214 - 6.67%
    Native American or Native Indian    51 - 1.58%
    Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander   3 - 0.09%