Horrible news situation at Stoneman Douglas

BrowardHandicapper

My heart felt condolences go out to all the victims, their families and friends. This is very, very sad and traumatizing. 

Unfortunately, this type of event has become commonplace to the point where it is not that surprising anymore. A rational, sane approach to all of this would be societal self examination leading to concrete steps to significantly reduce the incidence of this type of event in the future. I am no anti second amendment individual. But I am forced to ask the question: what kind of civilian needs or should have a weapon that can fire off hundreds of rounds per minute? Seems to me that such a weapon should be restricted to the military. But what do I know. 

As things stand, we must learn to live with this type of situation happening on a fairly regular basis, as I doubt anything will be done to reduce its likelihood. 

34 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Gatorman thanks for sharing the article. I was about to do the same. Miami Herald couldn't have put this together any better than they did here. A true Florida football hero! 

In addition to this great coach, I would like to say thanks to each one of you who make a difference in the lives of our youth...teaching, coaching, counseling, or just being a fan.  You don't get enough thanks.  We might not be able to solve the firearms debate on our own, but each one of us can make a difference in the life of a kid who is struggling with drugs and/or mental health issues. 

I don't know the first detail about the young man responsible for this, but no doubt he has serious mental health problems.   As many of us know firsthand, there are a lot of very troubled kids out there not getting the parental support and/or medical treatment they need.   

This is really hard for me...I knew Coach Feiss and sometimes would talk to him at Publix.  I also believe I may have coached one of the victims who I believe is listed as missing....

I have never seen so many local and national news trucks in Coral Springs/Parkland area

I can tell everyone that this situation is a lot deeper then what you are seeing on the news.  There is a lot of investigating going on right now that will be confirmed in the coming days.  I will just let it come out in the news.

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

This is really hard for me...I knew Coach Feiss and sometimes would talk to him at Publix.  I also believe I may have coached one of the victims who I believe is listed as missing....

I have never seen so many local and national news trucks in Coral Springs/Parkland area

I can tell everyone that this situation is a lot deeper then what you are seeing on the news.  There is a lot of investigating going on right now that will be confirmed in the coming days.  I will just let it come out in the news.

Hang in there, Broward. Coach Feiss sounds like a great guy. If he is gone, I am sure his memory will live on in the students and athletes he served. I don't know why the shooter did what he did. Perhaps we never will. 

Unfortunately, acts of evil are a part of the human condition. 

38 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

Man as a former coach in Broward this hurts a lot .. you couldn’t stop this situation but I have a lot of questions about this situation... This is crazy!!!! That 19 year ol man is a lame man!

Call him sick, call him evil, it makes no difference. To come to a school with the intent to commit mass murder is very, very disturbing. I understand individuals have beefs with individuals. But I am sure half of the people he shot he didn't even know. 

53 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

Man as a former coach in Broward this hurts a lot .. you couldn’t stop this situation but I have a lot of questions about this situation... This is crazy!!!! That 19 year ol man is a lame man!

In today's society, a unarmed security guard is helpless trying to protect thousands unarmed civilians in a confined area.  Unfortunately, most mass shootings are in confined areas with lots of unarmed  people that the shooter is very well familiar with.  The odds are unfortunately in the shooters favor.  

When I pass by Stoneman Douglas , I usually see two police cars which I assume are there for the resource officers.  I have know idea whether or not the officers were present.....Keep in mind Stoneman Douglas, has about 3300 students and is a fairly large campus and land area.  

I'll call you Zoe Boy to fill you in on some stuff.

40 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

In today's society, a unarmed security guard is helpless trying to protect thousands unarmed civilians in a confined area.  Unfortunately, most mass shootings are in confined areas with lots of unarmed  people that the shooter is very well familiar with.  The odds are unfortunately in the shooters favor.  

When I pass by Stoneman Douglas , I usually see two police cars which I assume are there for the resource officers.  I have know idea whether or not the officers were present.....Keep in mind Stoneman Douglas, has about 3300 students and is a fairly large campus and land area.  

I'll call you Zoe Boy to fill you in on some stuff.

I've been hearing some stuff... Hope not true.

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

When I pass by Stoneman Douglas , I usually see two police cars which I assume are there for the resource officers.  I have know idea whether or not the officers were present

Sheriff Israel noted in his update that there was one armed resource officer on campus at dismissal time yesterday that never came in contact with the suspect. 

...sorry for the long post, but a few stories to share and maybe there is a nugget in there somewhere.

Just this morning was dealing with a distraught father who was struggling to deal with a troubled son.   He obviously did not know how to handle the situation effectively.  He probably lost perspective because he was so close to the situation...no doubt feeling shame and blaming himself..."What have I done wrong." 

A common theme we see in these horrific cases is that the perpetrator is "different" and isolates.  I have a family member who is a military vet who sustained a serious head injury.  He moved to a tiny farming community in the Midwest and instead of embracing him, the locals shunned him because he was "different."   It caused him to become extremely isolated.  Over the years mental illness progressed.  At one point, he was being treated in a psychiatric hospital and despite the family's pleas and efforts by some wonderful people at the hospital to keep him there, he was deemed "OK" and pushed out. 

Long story short, one day he fired a gun at a kid who was on his property and he ended up in jail.  When I spoke to the local sheriff, he was blown away to learn that the local "town loony" was actually a war veteran who had accomplished some pretty incideible things earlier in his life.  The sheriff felt badly, because he knew how the locals, including law enforcement,  had treated him over the years.  My relative, who had no criminal history, was so traumatized by the experience of being arrested and put in jail, he disappeared afterward and literally disappeared off the face of the earth.

All of us have problem known someone like this before.  Unfortunately, our tendency is to steer clear of them, which causes further isolation...a very bad thing for someone dealing with mental health issues.  A fellow I used to know was a rather famous, mad scientist type..very reclusive.  The public assumed he wanted nothing to do with people.  After he passed away, it came to light that he had developed a very deep relationship with a couple I knew, and would spend hours on the phone with them talking about everything under the sun, and would come to their home for holiday dinners.  A lot of folks were shocked to learn this, not recognizing he had a sociable side to him that few knew.  In a way, I guess these folks were his connection to this world. 

Next time you see that loner kid in the hallway, try to connect with him/her.  It could make a huge difference.  I have learned not to underestimate small acts of kindness..even a simple "hello."    Mental and/or physical isolation can cause people to do very uncharacteristic things.  If you have never experienced mental illness in your personal life, trust me, you just understand how bad it can be. 

18 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Call him sick, call him evil, it makes no difference. To come to a school with the intent to commit mass murder is very, very disturbing. I understand individuals have beefs with individuals. But I am sure half of the people he shot he didn't even know. 

Nah he not sick.. They always calling these type of terrorist Mentally Ill.... F that they never was mentally ill... I want to go in on this bastard but I’m good... 

Without getting into any personal details, I can tell tell you that I am close to individuals, friends and family members that have attended, currently attend and would/(would have) potentially be attending Stoneman Douglas High School.  I am somewhat content with facts coming out and evolving with this case, but there are still a few key factors that I hope will be revealed in the coming days. I can say that some of this may have to do to with age and privacy.  There is another key matter in this case that I hope will soon be revealed that theoretically may blow some of your minds, and for some it will really make you think about governing powers....

12 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Without getting into any personal details, I can tell tell you that I am close to individuals, friends and family members that have attended, currently attend and would/(would have) potentially be attending Stoneman Douglas High School.  I am somewhat content with facts coming out and evolving with this case, but there are still a few key factors that I hope will be revealed in the coming days. I can say that some of this may have to do to with age and privacy.  There is another key matter in this case that I hope will soon be revealed that theoretically may blow some of your minds, and for some it will really make you think about governing powers....

Man, you are just stoking my curiosity. But for real, though, regardless of what comes out, I can't see any way to rationalize what this young man did. He has permanently affected the lives of the surviving in a very negative way. And he has taken the lives of many innocent people.