Quiz-Nationally Ranked FL Teams of the Past

OldSchoolLion

Back in the 1980's and early 1990's, north and central Florida hs football teams dominated the scene, even on a national  level.  At least 10 FL teams ended the hs football season nationally ranked during that time period...6 from north FL, 2 from central FL, and 2 from south FL?

Which teams were they?

11 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Back in the 1980's and early 1990's, north and central Florida hs football teams dominated the scene, even on a national  level.  At least 10 FL teams ended the hs football season nationally ranked during that time period...6 from north FL, 2 from central FL, and 2 from south FL?

Which teams were they?

Palm Bay was one in fact i think they did it twice 

2 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I know USA today had Jacksonville Bolles ranked #1 going into the title game with Bartow in 1996.  I think Bolles was also nationally ranked in the year before when we played them in the title game.  I also remember Lakeland being ranked. 

I believe Bolles was nationally ranked one of the early 90s

51 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I know USA today had Jacksonville Bolles ranked #1 going into the title game with Bartow in 1996.  I think Bolles was also nationally ranked in the year before when we played them in the title game.  I also remember Lakeland being ranked. 

Bolles was ranked in 1995, so that is one of the north FL teams.  Lakeland was later.

So, in south FL, Aquinas and Miami Southridge got national recognition in the early 90's.

In central FL, Bradenton was a hotbed of talent back then.  1989 and 1992 5A champion Bradenton Manatee (remember Tommie Frazier?) and 1993 and 1994 state champion Bradenton Southeast (remember Peter Warrick?), were recognized in the polls.

In north Fl, the Pensacola area was stacked with powerful teams...Escambia (Emmit Smith), Woodham (Ronald Stallworth), Pine Forest and Fort Walton Beach all spent time in the polls.  Pensacola Woodham was ranked in the final polls three years in a row in the early 1980's.  And Pine Forest finished #1 in 1988.   Like STA, Bolles got on the radar in the early 90's.  And Gainesville Buchholz was in the polls in 1990 when they won the 4A title and went 14-0.

Imagine that...Buchholz was an undefeated state champion and nationally ranked less than 30 years.  Unlike certain other programs in that area, who have to boast about titles from 50 years ago.:P  Thank God for Buchholz and Madison County for upholding the honor of that area of the state.

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

So, in south FL, Aquinas and Miami Southridge got national recognition in the early 90's.

In central FL, Bradenton was a hotbed of talent back then.  1989 and 1992 5A champion Bradenton Manatee (remember Tommie Frazier?) and 1993 and 1994 state champion Bradenton Southeast (remember Peter Warrick?), were recognized in the polls.

In north Fl, the Pensacola area was stacked with powerful teams...Escambia (Emmit Smith), Woodham (Ronald Stallworth), Pine Forest and Fort Walton Beach all spent time in the polls.  Pensacola Woodham was ranked in the final polls three years in a row in the early 1980's.  And Pine Forest finished #1 in 1988.   Like STA, Bolles got on the radar in the early 90's.  And Gainesville Buchholz was in the polls in 1990 when they won the 4A title and went 14-0.

Imagine that...Buchholz was an undefeated state champion and nationally ranked less than 30 years.  Unlike certain other programs in that area, who have to boast about titles from 50 years ago.:P  Thank God for Buchholz and Madison County for upholding the honor of that area of the state.

Who's won head to head in past 8 of 9 meetings though? LMAO 

Buchholz does have that championship but they won't be that deep again for a long time, Gainesville area talent too split apart for any team to win state in a large classification

Gainesville loaded up on the best players in the county in 2012 and the best it got them was getting teeth kicked in by Miami Central in Orlando and no large school team in the county has even been to a semifinal game since