Quiz-2017 State Title Series

OldSchoolLion

What unique event took place this year in Orlando?

In one of the matchups, we saw something that has only been witnessed 3 times before in the history of the FHSAA.  The last time it happened was this past decade.  It is possible there is more than one answer to this question, but I am looking for one in particular.  This is not some obscure statistic.  

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

What unique event took place this year in Orlando?

In one of the matchups, we saw something that has only been witnessed 3 times before in the history of the FHSAA.  The last time it happened was this past decade.  It is possible there is more than one answer to this question, but I am looking for one in particular.  This is not some obscure statistic.  

2 SFL teams facing off head to head in state finals

(Oxbridge Academy vs Chaminade Madonna)

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

If you think that is correct, please name the other three times that took place.  I don't think you will be able to:)

Deerfield Beach vs Palm Beach Gardens, 2005 6A State Championship. PBG blew them out scoring 49 points after they struggled offensively the prior week in their semifinal against Winter Park, winning 10-7 on a field goal as time expired. 

31 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Deerfield Beach vs Palm Beach Gardens, 2005 6A State Championship. PBG blew them out scoring 49 points after they struggled offensively the prior week in their semifinal against Winter Park, winning 10-7 on a field goal as time expired. 

Please keep in mind what I initially stated...that this event took place 3 times prior to this year.  So, I'll need two more south FL matchups if that is indeed the correct response.  

13 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Please keep in mind what I initially stated...that this event took place 3 times prior to this year.  So, I'll need two more south FL matchups if that is indeed the correct response.  

If we change what Columbia Fan said to, teams within 50 miles of each other played for the state title, we could add: 2004 Armwood vs Lake Gibson and the 1980s matchup between Lakeland and Largo to the list. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If we change what Columbia Fan said to, teams within 50 miles of each other played for the state title, we could add: 2004 Armwood vs Lake Gibson and the 1980s matchup between Lakeland and Largo to the list. 

Our sticklers for detail could argue that Largo High-Lakeland and Chaminade-Oxbridge are slightly more than 50 miles, at least according to googlemaps.  What do the following matchups have in common?

2017 3A Chaminade vs Oxbridge

2005 6A  Deerfield vs PB Gardens

2004 4A Armwood vs Lake Gibson

1982 3A Titusville vs Osceola

..and if we wanted to go WAY back, we could offer say 1968 A Jesuit vs Kathleen

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Our sticklers for detail could argue that Largo High-Lakeland and Chaminade-Oxbridge are slightly more than 50 miles, at least according to googlemaps.  What do the following matchups have in common?

2017 3A Chaminade vs Oxbridge (South)

2005 6A  Deerfield vs PB Gardens (South) 

2004 4A Armwood vs Lake Gibson (Central)

1982 3A Titusville vs Osceola (Central) 

..and if we wanted to go WAY back, we could offer say 1968 A Jesuit vs Kathleen (Central) 

Both are from same region of the state

6 minutes ago, Bocefous70 said:

Matchups of neighboring counties

there we go! All of these matchups involved teams from neighboring counties.

Good job to all who participated.  It's interesting that soemthing that only happened once in 35 years has not happened 3 times in the past 15 years.  Will we see more such matchups in the future, or even in-county state finals?

2017 3A Chaminade vs Oxbridge

2005 6A  Deerfield vs PB Gardens

2004 4A Armwood vs Lake Gibson

1982 3A Titusville vs Osceola

..and if we wanted to go WAY back, we could offer say 1968 A Jesuit vs Kathleen

42 minutes ago, badbird said:

more classes more chances.  Also lack of quality panhandle schools has probably contributed to it happening more.

The population of the entire Panhandle (including Tallahassee) is about the same as Hillsborough County.

Below are state finalists from each county from the mid-upper classes  over the past 15 years.  Maybe we expect too much out of them because it is such a large land mass.

Hillsborough-Armwood, Jefferson, Plant, Tampa Catholic

Panhandle-Godby, Lincoln, Niceville, Pensacola, Pine Forest,  Wakulla

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The population of the entire Panhandle (including Tallahassee) is about the same as Hillsborough County.

Considering that, I believe the Panhandle has actually had 1 more team win a title.  Maybe we expect too much out of them because it is such a large land mass.

Hillsborough-Armwood, Jefferson, Plant, Tampa Catholic

Panhandle-Godby, Niceville, Pensacola, Pine Forest,  Wakulla

what years did you do for state titles.  Panhandle has way more than that

11 minutes ago, badbird said:

Also check how many teams from panhandle made it in 80's 90's compared to now.  once again # of times not teams.

I hope I am understanding your point correctly...Panhandle used to be more productive. I agree.

As much as I admire those old teams from the Panhandle, I think their performance from back then potentially set up unrealistic expectations for the future. In the big class 4A/5A, between 1975-1989 they were 12-0 versus central Florida teams in the state semis.  Around 1990, things started to change, and am sure a lot had to do with population growth.  The run was over. Am not saying they had it easy, but it was nothing like today.    

If we say the Panhandle lacks depth, I think an argument could be made that Tampa does too, relatively speaking.  The big difference between the two is that Tampa has a couple of perennial powerhouses, which the Panhandle doesn't.  

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I hope I am understanding your point correctly...Panhandle used to be more productive. I agree.

As much as I admire those old teams from the Panhandle, I think their performance from back then potentially set up unrealistic expectations for the future. In the big class 4A/5A, between 1975-1989 they were 12-0 versus central Florida teams in the state semis.  Around 1990, things started to change, and am sure a lot had to do with population growth.  The run was over. Am not saying they had it easy, but it was nothing like today.    

If we say the Panhandle lacks depth, I think an argument could be made that Tampa does too, relatively speaking.  The big difference between the two is that Tampa has a couple of perennial powerhouses, which the Panhandle doesn't.  

Tampa does lack depth

After armwood, plant and Tampa Bay Tech they have a huge drop

Jefferson decent but they aren't nearly as good as they were at one point 

That's why i say Tampa (along with Jacksonville) are some of the biggest underachievers in the state