Who Are These Central FL Coaches?

OldSchoolLion

Current head coaches at the following central Florida high schools have all spent at least 12 seasons or more as head coach there.  What are their names? 

Lakeland-Bill Castle     6 state titles

Hillsborough-Earl Garcia     17 playoff wins and 1 final appearance

Palm Bay-Dan Burke     2 state titles

Timber Creek-Jim Buckridge     4 playoff wins

Apopka-Rick Darlington     3 state titles

Bishop Moore-Matt Hedrick     1 state title

East Lake-Bob Hudson     12 playoff wins

The Villages-Richard Pettus     1 playoff win

Plant-Robert Weiner     4 state titles

Lake Mary-Scott Perry     2 playoff wins

Wharton-David Mitchell     2 playoff wins

Winter Haven-Charlie Tate     8 playoff wins

St Petersburg-Joe Fabrizio     2 playoff wins

Winter Park-Tim Shiflett     8 playoff wins

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Current head coaches at the following central Florida high schools have all spent at least 12 seasons or more as head coach there.  What are their names? 

Lakeland

Hillsborough

Palm Bay

Timber Creek

Apopka

Bishop Moore

East Lake

The Villages

Plant

Lake Mary

Wharton

Winter Haven

St Petersburg

Winter Park

Lakeland- Bill Castle

Palm Bay- Dan Burke

Apopka- Rick Darlington

Those were easy to name, but nothing is ever easy with them on the sideline....

8 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Yes I do.....Mr Green at Lake City and Orange Park, Mr Scible as Willie Green's enabler....

Some folks probably do not realize that Orange Park had a few good teams over the years, and just Mainland's luck they ran into them those years.  Not many teams can claim 3 playoff victories over Mainland ....quite an accomplishment.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Some folks probably do not realize that Orange Park had a few good teams over the years, and just Mainland's luck they ran into them those years.  Not many teams can claim 3 playoff victories over Mainland ....quite an accomplishment.

Miami Central is one. Age has clouded my memory of another 3 time Mainland playoff conqueror. Enlighten me, please.

20 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Lakeland-Bill Castle     6 state titles

Hillsborough-Earl Garcia     17 playoff wins and 1 final appearance

Palm Bay-Dan Burke     2 state titles

Timber Creek-Jim Buckridge     4 playoff wins

Apopka-Rick Darlington     3 state titles

Bishop Moore-Matt Hedrick     1 state title

East Lake-Bob Hudson     12 playoff wins

The Villages-Richard Pettus     1 playoff win

Plant-Robert Weiner     4 state titles

Lake Mary-Scott Perry     2 playoff wins

Wharton ?????     2 playoff wins

Winter Haven-Charlie Tate     8 playoff wins

St Petersburg ?????     2 playoff wins

Winter Park-Tim Shiflett     8 playoff wins

Some coaches seem to like to build a program as much as winning a championship.  Charlie Tate at Winter Haven is one of them.  Before he got there, Winter Haven was a losing program.  Before that Charlie Tate was at Mosley High, another program he developed into a winner, as well as a brief stint at Bartow in the late 80's/early 90s, and Arcadia DeSoto in the 1980's.  

Interestingly, Charlie Tate's brother Richard has done the same at Ridge Community High. Richard was Ridge's first coach and after 2 years at George Jenkins, he went back to Ridge.  Before Ridge, Richard Tate turned Lakeland Kathleen into a winning program.  

3 hours ago, badbird said:

Mainland might have beat Lakeland in 06 if QB didn't go down

That was '04 and Lakeland was young. Score was 7-7 end of the 3rd with a WR (Tony Wilson, U of Ga ) never having played a down at QB inserted in the 1st quarter. Jon Garner, who was injured, was a 4yr starter ( '01-'04) at QB. He lead team, as a Jr., to school's only championship in '03. Rainey beat us over there on 3 big runs in '06, but Mainland still had a chance....a "sniff" in the closing minutes.

5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...some nasty teams, so no shame in losing

Osceola 97, 98, 99

Lakeland 96, 04, 06

Damn OldSchool, I was afraid you'd get me. I remember Lakeland, but mistakenly thought we beat them, although I wasn't there. Also thought Osceola was twice. I did attend all the playoff losses from '99 -'17. My union seniority finally rewarded me with Friday night's off and the rest is (clouded) history :) 

5 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Damn OldSchool, I was afraid you'd get me. I remember Lakeland, but mistakenly thought we beat them, although I wasn't there. Also thought Osceola was twice. I did attend all the playoff losses from '99 -'17. My union seniority finally rewarded me with Friday night's off and the rest is (clouded) history :) 

Interestingly, each of those Lakeland victories took place on a year they beat Aquinas in the final.  1996 was the first year the two met. Bet you saw that one since it was in Daytona. 

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Interestingly, each of those Lakeland victories took place on a year they beat Aquinas in the final.  1996 was the first year the two met. Bet you saw that one since it was in Daytona. 

No, I worked nights at the Daytona Beach News-Journal for most of my 30+ years. I sporadically caught games over the '80s, '90s, by burning holidays and PTO's. It wasn't until the start of the 2000 season that my Mainland streak began ( with Thursday-Friday off ).  Missed only a Bartrum Trail Monday make up games since 2000, ALL OTHERS - Home, Away, Playoffs....Buc Forever. 

9 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

That was '04 and Lakeland was young. Score was 7-7 end of the 3rd with a WR (Tony Wilson, U of Ga ) never having played a down at QB inserted in the 1st quarter. Jon Garner, who was injured, was a 4yr starter ( '01-'04) at QB. He lead team, as a Jr., to school's only championship in '03. Rainey beat us over there on 3 big runs in '06, but Mainland still had a chance....a "sniff" in the closing minutes.

I went to both of those games.  Mixed up the years.