Final Playoff Points Update of the Season

Joshua Wilson

17 hours ago, badbird said:

time to let the sprinklers run for 2 days in a row and claim the field as unplayable

Sprinklers may not be needed. Looks like much of the state will be covered by rain by about kickoff time tonight. Will be interesting to see what effect that has on everything.......

On 11/1/2018 at 12:12 PM, gwdrum75 said:

Lake Nona and Liberty also have St. Cloud in the mix, who plays Discovery. St. Cloud should win that game. It would move them up to a Category 3 win for both.

I have Lake Nona edging Liberty 38.3 - 38.0. With the following happening....

Lake Nona loses to Wekiva (38 points)
Liberty beats Lake Region (35 points)
Boone loses (Cat 3 win for Nona)
St. Cloud wins (Cat 3 win for Nona & Liberty)
South Lake Wins (Cat 3 win for Liberty)

Also, with Liberty winning, it will move that up to a Cat 1 loss for Lake Nona and increase their total by 5 pts.

And this is what is wrong with this system as a whole. Say what you will but the end result of who was in the playoffs in the old district/runner-up system was solely based on a field that you had an impact on, not on a field 2.5 hours away in games that you have no impact.

I dislike a system that rewards teams for losses (I hope they get lower losses down 5, and spread out the values of wins and losses).

If you played nothing but category 1 teams with playoff bonuses, you would average 38 points if you lost all 10.

38 points gets you into the playoffs in
8A: 3 of 4 regions
7A: 4 of 4 regions
6A: 4 of 4 regions
5A: 4 of 4 regions

So a team that loses 10 games legitimately has a chance to make the playoffs, tell me how this system is better again?

16 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

And this is what is wrong with this system as a whole. Say what you will but the end result of who was in the playoffs in the old district/runner-up system was solely based on a field that you had an impact on, not on a field 2.5 hours away in games that you have no impact.

I dislike a system that rewards teams for losses (I hope they get lower losses down 5, and spread out the values of wins and losses).

If you played nothing but category 1 teams with playoff bonuses, you would average 38 points if you lost all 10.

38 points gets you into the playoffs in
8A: 3 of 4 regions
7A: 4 of 4 regions
6A: 4 of 4 regions
5A: 4 of 4 regions

So a team that loses 10 games legitimately has a chance to make the playoffs, tell me how this system is better again?

I agree they also need to fix if a teams opponent only plays 9 games. Hardee lost points because Sebring didn’t make up a game so 7-2 is Category 2 not Cat 1. Is it’s Hardee’s fault? They beat Sebring so all of Sebring opponents should have been given some bonus points for Sebring not making up the game win or lose. 

Also a winning team may get 43 points w/Bonus points but the losing team gets 38 because the winner has a great record. Bartow for instance and bless their heart lost every game and if they played their cards right could have made the playoffs if they had played all Cat 1 teams!!!! The point system was suppose to stop the nonsense but what it did was pleas the lower classes not us 5A and above!!! 

Tbey MUST revamp the system, give teams that go undefeated extra bonus points for doing such things, fix the losing points, and start rewarding for wins and quit the PARTICIPATION AWARDS as in points!! 

Last if lower classes has districts but do t have to play them then the same should be for 5A and above!!!!! The game has to be fair across the board!!!

last FHSAA needs to separate public vs private like Texas does for the playoffs. They did that for a reason because private school stack their teams by giving free tuition / scholarships. Texas still has one of the best football around after doing this!!! 

2 minutes ago, WhatsUpDoc said:

I agree they also need to fix if a teams opponent only plays 9 games. Hardee lost points because Sebring didn’t make up a game so 7-2 is Category 2 not Cat 1. Is it’s Hardee’s fault? They beat Sebring so all of Sebring opponents should have been given some bonus points for Sebring not making up the game win or lose. 

Also a winning team may get 43 points w/Bonus points but the losing team gets 38 because the winner has a great record. Bartow for instance and bless their heart lost every game and if they played their cards right could have made the playoffs if they had played all Cat 1 teams!!!! The point system was suppose to stop the nonsense but what it did was pleas the lower classes not us 5A and above!!! 

Tbey MUST revamp the system, give teams that go undefeated extra bonus points for doing such things, fix the losing points, and start rewarding for wins and quit the PARTICIPATION AWARDS as in points!! 

Last if lower classes has districts but do t have to play them then the same should be for 5A and above!!!!! The game has to be fair across the board!!!

First off the original proposal had all classes removing districts but the large schools fought to keep it because they felt many would have trouble getting teams willing to play them so the districts aren't going away in 5-8a

Yes the points should be adjusted but i think once they adjust the issues in the points the system will be fine

At least now every game matters and not just a few select ones and we actually have a proper seeding and no more 1-9 playoff teams just because they were second best in a garbage 3 team district while 3rd place teams who would beat that 1-9 team by 100 points miss the playoffs 

Thank God 5A-8A choose to keep districts because at least 4 of the 8 teams in each region earned their way into the playoffs. 

The points were adjusted poorly.  How many years do you give them to get the points right. This will now be there third chance.  Hopefully third time is a charm but I think the point system will always be flawed but hopefully not as bad as it currently is.

It is not proper seeding when the points don't work.  The 8th best team might be the second best team and we are getting teams in the playoffs that are working the system and not earning it.  We are also screwing teams that earned a playoff birth and keeping them out.  

So now we don't have a 1-9 team because they were in a 3 team district but we have bad teams getting in over good teams because they played the system and we could end up with an 0-10 team if someone wanted to go that route.

9 minutes ago, badbird said:

Thank God 5A-8A choose to keep districts because at least 4 of the 8 teams in each region earned their way into the playoffs. 

The points were adjusted poorly.  How many years do you give them to get the points right. This will now be there third chance.  Hopefully third time is a charm but I think the point system will always be flawed but hopefully not as bad as it currently is.

It is not proper seeding when the points don't work.  The 8th best team might be the second best team and we are getting teams in the playoffs that are working the system and not earning it.  We are also screwing teams that earned a playoff birth and keeping them out.  

So now we don't have a 1-9 team because they were in a 3 team district but we have bad teams getting in over good teams because they played the system and we could end up with an 0-10 team if someone wanted to go that route.

People keep saying a 0-10 team can get in but explain how that would work in a district setting 

No district in the state has all but 1 team as cat 1s so even if someone schedules all cat 1s (i don't think anybody in the state has managed to pull that off yet)  there doesn't seem to be a possibility of someone actually having all cat 1s on the schedule 

would not work in a district setting.  Would work 1A-4A.  more reason to have districts to keep that from happening.  It would be dumb to try and schedule all category 1 teams.  You might not have enough players left at the end of the year.  However it could happen.  With that said the point is we are getting in bad teams with worse records because they scheduled harder teams.  Look at Liberty vs Lake Nona.  Liberty beats lake Nona by 24.  Liberty goes 8-2 and Lake Nona goes 6-4.  lake Nona gets in because they scheduled Winter park and Wekiva and liberty scheduled Lake Region and Poinciana.  

5 minutes ago, badbird said:

Booker T Washington could have gone 1-9 this year and made the playoffs with the schedule they had.  

They probably could have and they would have probably still be talented enough to win their region 

Honestly BTW may benefit from moving up to 5a next cycle since they usually have trouble scheduling teams 

38 minutes ago, badbird said:

would not work in a district setting.  Would work 1A-4A.  more reason to have districts to keep that from happening.  It would be dumb to try and schedule all category 1 teams.  You might not have enough players left at the end of the year.  However it could happen.  With that said the point is we are getting in bad teams with worse records because they scheduled harder teams.  Look at Liberty vs Lake Nona.  Liberty beats lake Nona by 24.  Liberty goes 8-2 and Lake Nona goes 6-4.  lake Nona gets in because they scheduled Winter park and Wekiva and liberty scheduled Lake Region and Poinciana.  

Happened last year, ie East Lake, 3-1 in the district, beat St Pete by 27.  St Pete was 1-3 in the district and made the playoffs while East Lake did not.

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Happened last year, ie East Lake, 3-1 in the district, beat St Pete by 27.  St Pete was 1-3 in the district and made the playoffs while East Lake did not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't East Lake forfeit games last year or was i thinking of someone else with a similar name

On 11/3/2018 at 10:46 AM, gwdrum75 said:

7A - R2 ended up:

1. Lakeland
2. Viera
3. Plant
4. Harmony
5. Sickles
6. Kathleen
7. Wiregrass Ranch
8. Lake Nona

Matchups are:
1. Lakeland vs. 8. Lake Nona
4. Harmony vs. 5. Sickles

2. Viera vs. 7. Wiregrass Ranch
3. Plant vs. 6. Kathleen

I completely missed Gaither beating Tampa Bay Tech. They were an 11 seed after week 10. That win moved them up to a playoff spot and knocked Lake Nona out.

1 minute ago, badbird said:

you were way off lol.  Kathleen ended up 5 Gaither 6 Sickles 7 and wiregrass 8.  I wonder if TBT rested guys?

Yeah. Gaither went from 11 to 6 in one week. Crazy.

If it ends up Kathleen/Lakeland in round 2, i will be mildly nervous. I hate rematches, let alone district/rivalry rematches. Last year, Lakeland beat Winter Haven 55-7 in the regular season. Then had to rally in the last seconds to pull off a 17-13 win in the playoffs.