College Recruiting?

gatorman-uf

This article hits on something, does production on the football field mean colleges should come and recruit. Or is about the measurables? Height, Speed, Weight, Neck Size, Arm Strength? Does winning on the field count for anything? I watched the King's Academy game last week, he seemed all right while playing on an injured leg, but I didn't walk out of there thinking I saw a D-1 QB. I haven't seen many D-1 QBs (HS QB Anquan Boldin (Pahokee), John Brantley (OTC), Cord Sanberg (Manatee), Joey Gatewood (Bartram Trail), Nathan Peterman (Bartram Trail). The school had enough cameras floating around, so I am sure somebody is putting together film, so I doubt it's the coaching staff not doing his job. 

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20181129/lack-of-scholarship-offers-frustrates-kings-academy-football-team

My frustration is that we build kids up that a scholarship and state championship are the only things that matter instead of the skills and character that you build along the way.

@gatorman-uf, I watched the same game. IMO, there was not a single Division 1 football player on the field that night. I've seen a bunch of King's over the past few years. I really respect their HC--they are very well-coached on offense, and I think he does a really good job with what he has. But there is a reason those players don't have high-level offers: they are good high school players that play against below average South Florida competition. 

So addressing your initial question, no, I do not believe production on the football field means colleges should come and recruit. I think colleges understand the type of kid that is there. They understand the type of football that is being played in their conference. End of the day, a kid has to fit a profile, and the majority of kids at King's just don't fit it.

That said, I feel for these kids, and for that matter, all of the kids who get the short end of the stick in the recruiting game. All the holier than thou stuff you see from college coaches on Twitter is the furthest thing from the truth. Generally speaking, coaches need and recruit "dudes," and they could care less about what comes with it. 

This video touches on the topic.  The expectations today are completely unrealistic..on all fronts...coaches, players, parents, etc.  At least now these kids who did not get offers can face reality.  I am probably not THAT good and need to focus on stuff other than football.  And if I really want to play football that badly in college, I'll need to walk on and maybe can earn a scholarship down the road if I prove my worth.

We have kids in high school today making decisions based on this warped sense of reality Saban alludes to in the video.  And some of those decisions are likely bad ones, ie transferring excessively, which can be disruptive from an academic learning/continuity standpoint.