WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR SOCIETY

De Cleater

we have a home school student that wants to play a sport at our school (I guess our sports are good enough for the family since our A/B school isnt).

the student athlete was a student of ours until March of this year.

When he/she withdrew, they went to home school through virtual school.

since last March the student has only enrolled into 2 virtual classes.

The most he/she has finished is 5% in one of the classes.

In March when the student left our school he/she had a 2.4 GPA.

So the question is, Is he/she eligible to play sports this year?  The answer is yes.  Because the state says to give the student a F in those 2 classes and calculate the GPA.  Student went from a 2.4 to a 2.2. 

Does anybody else see a problem with that?

For the record, I think kids that do virtual school should be allowed to play High School sports as long as they meet the same criteria as a student enrolled at the school. No bending the rules like in this thread.

It's a reflection of the parent since the parent took on the responsibility as overseer of the students education. Home schooling is also a big responsibility for the student. A lot of parents trust their child to be studding while they are at work, and instead in some cases the student will be surfing or playing games all day long. It's an easy way to fail if both the parent and student don't take it serious. To stop parents from doing the work for the student, the student must go to a center and be tested for progress, and at the end of each course the student will take a final. My daughter excelled at virtual school because she was away from the drama that some students seem to live for, my daughter included. We set up her work area at my wife's antique store so that we could keep her focused. She also helped run my wife's shop when she wasn't studding. So it works for some, but not others.

The reason my daughter was attending private school was because of the drama of Jr High. and she was having to many issue's with boys so we put her in a private school. When the private school closed 2 years later she chose to try Virtual school as an option to public school. She should graduate this December with a GED after doing this for 2 years, or she could go another year and get her high school diploma. She chose the GED so she could enter college a year sooner. So it really is up to the student and the parent because they both have to be responsible, and if the parent fails then there is a good chance the student fails also.