West Florida - Heartland, Suncoast, SWF - LET'S DO THIS!

Hwy17

This is in reference to Coach Lee of Auburndale and Vinnie Portell, sports editor of the Venice Gondolier tweet on twitter today

It was mentioned today about forming independent conferences of teams in the Polk/Heartland and also the suncoast area.  Here's what I think:

Total number of public high schools in each county:

Polk - 16

Lee - 15

Manatee - 7

Collier - 7

Sarasota - 5

Highlands - 3

Charlotte - 3

Hendry - 2

Hardee, DeSoto, Glades (Moorehaven), & Okeechobee - 1

Total - 62 public schools

I'll call this the West Florida Alliance.   Break them down into 6 conferences as follows (names given have some historical significance)

Orange Blossom Conference - 10 teams:  Lemon Bay, Clewiston, Moorehaven, Lake Placid, Avon Park, Frostproof, Fort Meade, Tenoroc, Mulberry, Discovery Academy.

Heartland Conference - 10 teams: Lebelle, DeSoto, Hardee, Sebring, Okeechobee, Lake Wales, Lake Region, Booker, Bayshore, Southeast

Peace River Conference - 10 teams:  Charlotte, Port Charlotte, North Port, Palmetto, Lakewood Ranch, Braden River, Parrish Community, Auburndale, Winter Haven, Lake Gibson

Ridge Conference - 10 teams:  Manatee, Venice, Sarasota, Riverview, Lakeland, Kathleen, Jenkins, Bartow, Haines City, Ridge Community

-  Playing round robin, this gives 10 games.  For a 10th game, play one opponent from one of the other conferences

Southwest Conference - 11 teams: Immokalee, Naples, Fort Myers, North Fort Myers, Dunbar, South Fort Myers, Riverdale, East Lee, Lehigh, Cypress Lake, Gateway

Coral Coast - 11 teams: Cape Coral, Mariner, Island Coast, Ida Baker, Estero, Bonita Springs, Barron Collier, Golden Gate, Lely, Palmetto Ridge, Gulf Coast

- Playing round robin, this gives 10 games!

I believe these conferences would be competitive from top to bottom and have teams that are similar in size as well as past performance.  At season's end, organize bowl games for teams that won 6 or more games.  These conferences are regional but within easy travel distance and also preserves many long standing rivalries.  

Also, for fun, I think this would make for a good conference for area private schools:

West Coast League - 10 teams: Naples First Baptist, Bishop Verot, Cardinal Mooney, Berkley Prep, Tampa Catholic, Jesuit, Lakeland Christian, Clearwater Central Catholic, Cleawater International, American Collegiate.

Also, start the season 3 week of September to run through the second week of December with the bowl games.

I know this is a lot to swallow, and involves a lot of moving parts.  Feedback please!!!

4 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I love it and I’m not even from that part of town great Analysis

Even if you don't win your conference, you have the opportunity to play a bowl game if you win 6.  I could see each conference putting 3 teams in a bowl.  Also, we don't have to have conference champ play conference champ.  Create a committee to assign bowl games.  Similar to college football.

9 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Even if you don't win your conference, you have the opportunity to play a bowl game if you win 6.  I could see each conference putting 3 teams in a bowl.  Also, we don't have to have conference champ play conference champ.  Create a committee to assign bowl games.  Similar to college football.

Meaningless games, only state titles matter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Here’s a scenario that will cook your noodle. There’s an 11th grader at a D rated public school. Lives in a bad neighborhood with a single mom and a bunch of siblings. Dirt poor, and struggle just to eat and keep the lights on. He can’t get a part time job to help out because he has to watch his little siblings while his mom works.    The school he plays for has poor attendance at the football games, and is always bad. He is a super star for them and tons of new bandwagon fans start to attend the games because they are good and he is the reason. School is making tons of new money.    Season is over. Back to reality for him. School year is over. Summer hits. Some “runner” on behalf of the rich local private school “offers” his mom, him, and all his siblings a way out of poverty. New place to live, food on the table, and an opportunity to get a quality education and maximize exposure for all the top colleges to see. A once in a lifetime opportunity to get his family out of poverty. What say you? Does he say no and continue to barely survive, or does he take the deal? 
    • To make it short and sweet. I am against breaking the rules. If there is a rule that seems outdated or unfair then it should be amended/changed/repealed with majority rule 
    • I am a huge proponent of innocent until proven guilty, and due process with credible evidence. I support a credible investigation, and not some witch hunt by disgruntled folks both near and far from the program. Let’s hope they can get to the bottom of this quickly 
    • Thanks for admitting that you do not know why they transferred or the several others that mysteriously transferred to that school (not a known powerhouse).  Thanks for also agreeing you specifically have to ask all the kids that left for seemingly inexplicable reasons why.  That happened as a matter of fact which raises suspicion thus the launch of an investigation by the FHSAA who hopefully will ask YOUR question as well as many more to get to the bottom of it.  Any fair-minded person should readily support this investigation.  If you don't support and admitted you don't know the facts, you are basically guilty of what some are accusing you of.  I would hope you would like to know the TRUTH as opposed to simply attacking the messengers.  
    • Nolebull, so here's the scenario:   A coach or a booster from a high school in Florida approaches a kid who plays football at a different school and offers that kid and/or that kid's parents a boatload of benefits (money, an apartment, or anything else that would, under existing rules, qualify as an "impermissible benefit").  Let's break this down:  it's OK for the kid and his family to accept the impermissible benefits as long as they believe that they're making the 'best decision' for their family.  And it's OK for the coach or booster to provide such impermissible benefits because that somehow improves the kid's chances of succeeding as an athlete and/or student.  Wait, it's not just "OK" for the coach or booster to do that, they should be encouraged to do that because that's the only way they'll be able to keep up with all the other coaches and boosters that are breaking the rules by providing impermissible benefits to other kids.  Have I got that right?  Do you want to do away with all the rules involving recruiting, benefits, transferring, etc. or just keep the rules in place, but not enforce them?   #Lordoftheflies
  • Popular Contributors