Oxbridge Academy releases AD and HC

BrowardHandicapper

Did someone have grudge against these guys?  

Well, let's just say that the former AHD (now former Oxbridge)  HC Doug Socha won a 3A State Championship over Madison County in 2011.  It was Socha's first year with the AHD program.  Oxbridge Academy at the time was an Independent fast rising program. Between 2011 and 2012 many faculty and staff  left AHD and headed west as career moves  to the brand new private school - Oxbridge Academy.  It was a great opportunity for many.  Doug Socha was one of those individuals.  Some may feel a "grudge" started here. During the 2012 season, AHD players started landing on the Oxbridge roster (keep in mind Oxbridge is a private Indepenent school at the time), 2013, 2014 comes along and Oxbridge was basically The Independent powerhouse. 2015 comes along and Oxbridge is placed in 3A -  in the same District as AHD.  By this time like other privates , kids are transferring between both of the established teams.  In the first meeting between the schools (last year 2015) Oxbridge got the best of AHD  24-7.  Some felt with that win it could slightly shift the balance of talent in Palm Beach towards Oxbridge Academy. AHD did go on beat Oxbridge in the 3A Playoffs 16-11 in a hard fought game.

So in a nutshell you have a long-time established small private school in AHD that may feel defensive with the newer, more modern and apparently up-and-coming Oxbridge Academy in town.  Perhaps it is a combination of athletic power defensiveness, payback to all of the teachers, trainers, coaches and others that made a career move to Oxbridge Academy.   I also used to notice bias sometimes in the local papers... Oxbridge Academy would be left out or clearly shafted in the top ten rankings as well.  Whatever, perhaps it was just an opinion thing....Any way you cut it AHD, the Palm Beach Post and a specific editor had it out for Oxbridge Academy because they felt there was a wrongdoing (perhaps there was) .   There was definitely motivation from haters in this matter.

By long time, "estbalished" school you mean since 2000, right? American Heritage is no different they took players from other private schools and recruited schools

Oxbridge just was beating American Heritage at their own game. Granted, I don't like Oxbridge for other reasons. But I am glad American Heritage started losing. I just wish it was other schools that were winning.

Some other stories that go into more detail about Oxbridge problems...

http://westpalmbeat.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/05/27/oxbridge-ceo-out-after-koch-investigation/

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/news/tales-of-sexism-high-turnover-prompt-probe-at-koch/nrD53/

A lot of this sounds like rich people problems. But Koch it seems had a thorough investigation. As for Socha, he will become a coach someplace in South Florida and turnaround that program. 

By long time, "estbalished" school you mean since 2000, right? American Heritage is no different they took players from other private schools and recruited schools

Oxbridge just was beating American Heritage at their own game. Granted, I don't like Oxbridge for other reasons. But I am glad American Heritage started losing. I just wish it was other schools that were winning.

Some other stories that go into more detail about Oxbridge problems...

http://westpalmbeat.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/05/27/oxbridge-ceo-out-after-koch-investigation/

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/news/tales-of-sexism-high-turnover-prompt-probe-at-koch/nrD53/

A lot of this sounds like rich people problems. But Koch it seems had a thorough investigation. As for Socha, he will become a coach someplace in South Florida and turnaround that program. 

When I say "established" school I am saying they are consistently in post-season play and/or have had fairly consistent winning seasons...You are correct.  This had a bit to do with Oxbridge beating AHD at their own recruiting games- perhaps as to why Oxbridge hired some of the AHD staff LOL...

You better believe Koch had a thorough investigation - he surely had no choice.  He likely was being strong-armed.

Good reads....I am by no means saying there was not any wrongdoing possibly at hand.  I am just saying the Palm Beach Post used leverage and  likely passed information on to Koch which strong-armed him to make such drastic moves ...If these moves were not made, would something negative news have been publicized about Oxbridge academy?

I am not convinced that Koch just woke up and said "I have to release the CEO, AD and HC of Football today"   This is not only about chatter of inappropriate "sexism" ....Likely ulterior motives at hand.  Is it possible the Palm Beach Post received  information that was then presented to Koch as leverage to make a move - or else? 

Neighbors kid attends Oxbridge.  He sez theres a strong sense to get focus back on books instead of the whole growing sports program, and suspects the boss used the adult drama issue to get everything back to academics.  Don't know what the other he said-she said stuff had to do with canning the AD and HC. 

Neighbors kid attends Oxbridge.  He sez theres a strong sense to get focus back on books instead of the whole growing sports program, and suspects the boss used the adult drama issue to get everything back to academics.  Don't know what the other he said-she said stuff had to do with canning the AD and HC. 

The whole matter may very well be internal.  I do know that there was an exodus of staff from AHD to Oxbridge a few years back and I do know that AHD has lost players to Oxbridge the last few years.  Given the fact the CEO, AD and HC of football were all let go simultaneously could lead one to believe there may have been a sense of panic mode versus a new start to improving academics at Oxbridge Academy.

There is a good line in one of the articles that Koch says he didn't really want there to be football. I am sure he has numerous other things that take his attention away. But when you start looking at the pay of the CEO and the high turnover rate of teachers at Oxbridge "If a Fortune 500 company had this problem, we would be looking at leadership" is another line that struck me.

I think the neighbors' kid is probably right. Too big too much too soon. If they had done the same thing in soccer or basketball or baseball nobody would bat an eye, but in football with all the costs of their awesome stadium (it is an awesome stadium if you drive by), they probably realized they had been too loose with the purse strings and needn't to shut that down.

• 1 month later...

Former Oxbridge Academy AD files a defamation suit against the school:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-former-ad-sponsky-sues-oxbridge-0713-20160712-story.html

If we are going to bring this up, it should also be noted the school has cut the sailing and rowing teams. 

Notable that sailing was cut because Mr. Koch is known, partially, for his love of sailing.