Niceville vs North Miami Beach (Final 42-6 N'ville, w/ summary)

Rattlin Steele

I'm a Nicevillian.  Just wondering if anyone knew much about the NMB Chargers coming to town this Friday.  Odd matchup I'd say.  Long way for them to come.

Heck I don't even know much about my Eagles at this point.  Will be sitting in my season seats for the 1st time in 2 years due to to covid and unrelated health issues.  

Are they well-respected and relevant down there?  Star players?

I don't think we have too many highly-recruits this year.  

Dillard played NMB in the tri county championship at traz in 2020 (Covid year) they had a very solid season that year, beating a carol city team & a talented killian team to get to the championship game. 

dillard won 30-6 but they had some speed on the defense & offense & they’re aggressive on offense. Should be a good game between you to. 

1 hour ago, Rattlin Steele said:

I'm a Nicevillian.  Just wondering if anyone knew much about the NMB Chargers coming to town this Friday.  Odd matchup I'd say.  Long way for them to come.

Heck I don't even know much about my Eagles at this point.  Will be sitting in my season seats for the 1st time in 2 years due to to covid and unrelated health issues.  

If you can draw any opinion from the past 2 years, they are 8-10 while Niceville is 21-3.  Looking at their schedule, one of our top area teams Sanford Seminole traveled to Miami last year and gave them a 38-0 beatdown.  Based on our team's experience in playoff games vs Niceville, I would be putting my money on the home team.  They don't appear to be a big threat. 

Reports indicate that Lincoln outplayed Niceville in their Kickoff Classic (although Niceville's starting QB was held out).  Which suggests Niceville may be down from the past 3 years, and/or Lincoln is going to be a serious contender in 3S.  

Can almost guarantee that the incentive for NMB to travel 619 miles is $$$, although it could be a love of long bus rides.

20 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

Reports indicate that Lincoln outplayed Niceville in their Kickoff Classic (although Niceville's starting QB was held out).  Which suggests Niceville may be down from the past 3 years, and/or Lincoln is going to be a serious contender in 3S.  

Can almost guarantee that the incentive for NMB to travel 619 miles is $$$, although it could be a love of long bus rides.

Niceville hasn't been good for just the past three years, they have been for many years with down years losing 3-4 games and most only 1 or 2.  They are a long distance from us therefore haven't played them except in two back-to-back Regional Finals (2013 and 2014) so that goes back a decade.  They have a strong tradition and you are probably right that they lured Miami into that crazy drive for money.  So still picking Niceville.

4 hours ago, Rattlin Steele said:

Niceville "SHOULD NOT" have any problems.  As others have stated, looooong ride, on top of one of the more hostile stadiums to play in.  I don't know how many NMB fans are traveling to this game but from personal experience, the visiting team will need all the support it can get to overcome being damn near surrounded by the home team, LITTERALLY!

30 minutes ago, Rattlin Steele said:

Not sure where that originates.  NV was up 31-7 after the Varsity 1st half.  Down 14-11 in 2nd half using the 2's/JV players.

Incorrect -- you have it backwards.  If you don't believe me (and the people I spoke to in attendance), check the NWF Daily News website.

46 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Niceville hasn't been good for just the past three years, they have been for many years with down years losing 3-4 games and most only 1 or 2.  They are a long distance from us therefore haven't played them except in two back-to-back Regional Finals (2013 and 2014) so that goes back a decade.  They have a strong tradition and you are probably right that they lured Miami into that crazy drive for money.  So still picking Niceville.

Not to quibble, just the last 3 years have been exceptional for Niceville (34-3 on the field), but they have lost a lot of talent from those teams.  Agree that they have been very good for many years.  In fact, I was in attendance at the 30-28 Niceville/Osceola Regional final in 2013, and I still consider it one of the most entertaining games I have attended in 30+ years.

1 minute ago, Dr. D said:

Not to quibble, just the last 3 years have been exceptional for Niceville (34-3 on the field), but they have lost a lot of talent from those teams.  Agree that they have been very good for many years.  In fact, I was in attendance at the 30-28 Niceville/Osceola Regional final in 2013, and I still consider it one of the most entertaining games I have attended in 30+ years.

I didn't make the trip but listened the game live on the Niceville radio broadcast.  The announcers were quite complimentary towards our players and I thought that showed alot of class.  My recollection is we lost that game by a missed extra point (31-30), when we had actually tied it up but due to an offside penalty violation by our opponents we had to re-kick and missed the second try.   Heartbreaking.   Happily we got revenge the following year at our place 42-14.

13 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

Incorrect -- you have it backwards.  If you don't believe me (and the people I spoke to in attendance), check the NWF Daily News website.

Here we have a prime example of how much the FHSAA has lost control.  I've checked 3 different news sources and seen 3 different scores.  Gonna be a long season :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I didn't make the trip but listened the game live on the Niceville radio broadcast.  The announcers were quite complimentary towards our players and I thought that showed alot of class.  My recollection is we lost that game by a missed extra point (31-30), when we had actually tied it up but due to an offside penalty violation by our opponents we had to re-kick and missed the second try.   Heartbreaking.   Happily we got revenge the following year at our place 42-14.

I was incorrect in my initial accounting of the final score, and the fact that the 2013 game was actually a state semifinal game.  Osceola took the lead with under a minute to go and went up 30-28 but missed the extra point.  Eli Stove (later to attend Auburn) took the kickoff back almost 75 yards to set up the game-winning field goal inside 10 seconds to go, making the final score 31-30.  It was a tremendous high school football game, and as they say, neither team deserved to lose.  Niceville went on to lose to Dwyer in the 7A championship game.  And yes, Osceola hammered Niceville the next year in the state semifinals, only to lose to STA in the 2014 7A championship game.

37 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

I was incorrect in my initial accounting of the final score, and the fact that the 2013 game was actually a state semifinal game.  Osceola took the lead with under a minute to go and went up 30-28 but missed the extra point.  Eli Stove (later to attend Auburn) took the kickoff back almost 75 yards to set up the game-winning field goal inside 10 seconds to go, making the final score 31-30.  It was a tremendous high school football game, and as they say, neither team deserved to lose.  Niceville went on to lose to Dwyer in the 7A championship game.  And yes, Osceola hammered Niceville the next year in the state semifinals, only to lose to STA in the 2014 7A championship game.

You are correct and thanks for refreshing my memory on how it went down.  I just remember having to re-kick was costly and we couldn't refuse the penalty.  It was a tremendous game.  

16 hours ago, Dr. D said:

I confess I showed up only for the 2nd half having been told that would be the varsity half, which was wrong.  I was brought up to date by my season ticket "neighbor" who I'd firmly trust.  

I just now confirmed with another friend who happens to be on the official radio crew and he corroborates what I first said, so don't know where the discrepancy lies.  Wouldn't mind seeing links.  Can't find anything on NWFDailyNews unless it's behind paywall.

The article is behind the paywall, but I have pasted excerpts from the article (sorry for the length).  Bottom lines: 1st half, Niceville JV 31-7; 2nd half, Lincoln varsity 14-11 (or take it up with Seth Stringer).  Niceville will be fine, but maybe not quite to the level of the past 3 years.  Lincoln may surprise some folks this year.

Seth Stringer
Northwest Florida Daily News

NICEVILLE — For Jimmie Tyson, Eagle Stadium has no peer.  So it was fitting that in the aftermath of a 14-11 win over Niceville spanning the second half, the Lincoln head football coach let his Trojans savor this well-earned road victory 160 miles from home.  "Not only is it a long road trip, but there's no atmosphere in Florida like Niceville," Tyson said. "We've always loved to play in it because it's like a playoff game. It feels like a third-round playoff game, not the preseason."  After Niceville JV and backups flexed on the road warriors 31-7 in the first half, Lincoln's starters proceeded to quiet the standing-room only crowd of around 6,000. Jashawn Washington followed up Logan Marise's 23-yard field goal (his second following a first-half 41-yarder) by taking the opening play 53 yards to the house.  Niceville's offense, playing without injured quarterback Harrison Orr, wouldn't sniff the end zone the rest of the way.  In the fourth quarter, George Jones intercepted backup quarterback Kane Lafortune to set up Demetric Stephens' 3-yard game-winner.  Down 14-3 in the waning minutes, Niceville made it a one-score game when Navarre transfer Christian Caballero pounced on a high punt snap that sailed into the zone and Micah Turner converted the two-point on a run up the gut. 

16 hours ago, Dr. D said:

16 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Thanks for the memories guys.  Yes we won one of the suspenseful playoff games that year.  Had a bunch more over the years on the other end.  It fluctuates with us.  If we get a few high caliber athlete in a given year we can compete at the higher level but for me it's usually a thrill to get past round 2.  Our only ship was 1988 and we were loaded and we've sniffed it a couple other times but didn't have the overall talent to break through.

I'd say we're a relatively humble fanbase and know where we lie.  Complimentary to the better teams, but yes it hurts to lose the nail-biters to Lakeland, Edgewater, Manatee, when we get the chance.

Niceville FB is your typical small-town atmosphere.  We're basically a land-locked community, and island if you will enclosed by the Eglin AFB complex and it's large forested test range and the ChoctawHatchee bay.  Roads/bridges out lead to Fort Walton Beach (FWB HS, ChoctawHatchee HS), Crestview, and Destin (no HS).  I think nowadays we get some students from Destin (fishing/beach/tourist town) since they have to go a distance regardless.  Friday nights are still a pretty big deal and we do have excellent fan support.  Stadium near capacity.  Band always near 300.  We do get a lot of compliments on the stadium, but it's not all that big really, just the layout gives it that feel.  20-20 on homeside is all season ticket holders and they're hard to come by.  Family's had ours since late 80's and took 3 years on waiting list to get them.  Youth FB is still big.  Jr HS feeders contend in the county, and we've been blessed to have coaches who've built and maintained a quality program for many years.  We've rarely missed the playoffs over the last few decades.  We can't count on getting by on athleticism alone, so as you expect, there is much emphasis on fundamentals, great conditioning, smart-play and execution, and (hopefully) top play-calling.   When we do get a few FBS level recruits that come our way, it's a bonus and we usually do well with it. 

I will admit, that we (and the other surrounding communities) benefit from the military installation here.  It's what bring new folks in, many who retire in the area often when their kids are of HS age and I'd fairly say most of our FBS level recruits got here that way.

10 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

The article is behind the paywall, but I have pasted excerpts from the article (sorry for the length).  Bottom lines: 1st half, Niceville JV 31-7; 2nd half, Lincoln varsity 14-11 (or take it up with Seth Stringer).  Niceville will be fine, but maybe not quite to the level of the past 3 years.  Lincoln may surprise some folks this year.

Seth Stringer
Northwest Florida Daily News

NICEVILLE — For Jimmie Tyson, Eagle Stadium has no peer.  So it was fitting that in the aftermath of a 14-11 win over Niceville spanning the second half, the Lincoln head football coach let his Trojans savor this well-earned road victory 160 miles from home.  "Not only is it a long road trip, but there's no atmosphere in Florida like Niceville," Tyson said. "We've always loved to play in it because it's like a playoff game. It feels like a third-round playoff game, not the preseason."  After Niceville JV and backups flexed on the road warriors 31-7 in the first half, Lincoln's starters proceeded to quiet the standing-room only crowd of around 6,000. Jashawn Washington followed up Logan Marise's 23-yard field goal (his second following a first-half 41-yarder) by taking the opening play 53 yards to the house.  Niceville's offense, playing without injured quarterback Harrison Orr, wouldn't sniff the end zone the rest of the way.  In the fourth quarter, George Jones intercepted backup quarterback Kane Lafortune to set up Demetric Stephens' 3-yard game-winner.  Down 14-3 in the waning minutes, Niceville made it a one-score game when Navarre transfer Christian Caballero pounced on a high punt snap that sailed into the zone and Micah Turner converted the two-point on a run up the gut. 

Thanks, and I don't understand the report.  Stringer likely wasn't even there in person.  Varsity played the 1st half, I'm positive.  My radio guy would know.   I was there for 2nd half and I KNOW that wasn't varsity on NHS side anyway (maybe Lincolns?).  Maybe the coaches crossed-wires on the format??  I know as I made my way in I passed a number of Lincoln guys who played the 1st half (still sweaty) who were out of their pads and they didn't look like JV to me.  Confused.

I know the Lafortune QB is at least 3rd string (and should be, heady but immature arm).  And wow, we got Cabellero from Navarre this year?! Didn't know that.  

17 minutes ago, Rattlin Steele said:

Thanks for the memories guys.  Yes we won one of the suspenseful playoff games that year.  Had a bunch more over the years on the other end.  It fluctuates with us.  If we get a few high caliber athlete in a given year we can compete at the higher level but for me it's usually a thrill to get past round 2.  Our only ship was 1988 and we were loaded and we've sniffed it a couple other times but didn't have the overall talent to break through.

I'd say we're a relatively humble fanbase and know where we lie.  Complimentary to the better teams, but yes it hurts to lose the nail-biters to Lakeland, Edgewater, Manatee, when we get the chance.

Niceville FB is your typical small-town atmosphere.  We're basically a land-locked community, and island if you will enclosed by the Eglin AFB complex and it's large forested test range and the ChoctawHatchee bay.  Roads/bridges out lead to Fort Walton Beach (FWB HS, ChoctawHatchee HS), Crestview, and Destin (no HS).  I think nowadays we get some students from Destin (fishing/beach/tourist town) since they have to go a distance regardless.  Friday nights are still a pretty big deal and we do have excellent fan support.  Stadium near capacity.  Band always near 300.  We do get a lot of compliments on the stadium, but it's not all that big really, just the layout gives it that feel.  20-20 on homeside is all season ticket holders and they're hard to come by.  Family's had ours since late 80's and took 3 years on waiting list to get them.  Youth FB is still big.  Jr HS feeders contend in the county, and we've been blessed to have coaches who've built and maintained a quality program for many years.  We've rarely missed the playoffs over the last few decades.  We can't count on getting by on athleticism alone, so as you expect, there is much emphasis on fundamentals, great conditioning, smart-play and execution, and (hopefully) top play-calling.   When we do get a few FBS level recruits that come our way, it's a bonus and we usually do well with it. 

I will admit, that we (and the other surrounding communities) benefit from the military installation here.  It's what bring new folks in, many who retire in the area often when their kids are of HS age and I'd fairly say most of our FBS level recruits got here that way.

Will do a toast to the Niceville program and tradition.  From my faraway perch it is a class act and in a tight community a team folks can rally around.  Good luck in the upcoming season.  

On 8/23/2022 at 11:10 PM, Nulli Secundus said:

Niceville "SHOULD NOT" have any problems.  As others have stated, looooong ride, on top of one of the more hostile stadiums to play in.  I don't know how many NMB fans are traveling to this game but from personal experience, the visiting team will need all the support it can get to overcome being damn near surrounded by the home team, LITTERALLY!

One of the best stadium setups I've ever seen. Like the crowd is on the field

14 hours ago, Rattlin Steele said:

I thought Destin approved the high school not too long ago?

This is the second year for Destin High School (the "Sharks"), and their first year fielding a football team.  The school has about 475 students.  The head coach is E. G. Green, who played at Florida St., and had a stint in the NFL.  They are playing as an independent this year until they get full membership in the FHSAA.  Their first game ever is against perennial small-school power Baker - talk about starting out with a bang!

9 hours ago, Dr. D said:

This is the second year for Destin High School (the "Sharks"), and their first year fielding a football team.  The school has about 475 students.  The head coach is E. G. Green, who played at Florida St., and had a stint in the NFL.  They are playing as an independent this year until they get full membership in the FHSAA.  Their first game ever is against perennial small-school power Baker - talk about starting out with a bang!

They definitely won't have to worry about funding lol