Is Sumner on the verge of being a dominant program?

Looks like their first season was the 2020 plague year, where they went 7-1. On the field, they've had only winning seasons each year. (The 2022 season had several forfeit losses for games they won on the field.)  Last year was a strong year, at 11-2. They posted pretty huge numbers and margins of victory. The lone regular season loss was without their starting QB, and they avenged it in the playoffs. They were knocked out by Plant in what appears to have been a tight game. 

They just received a QB transfer, in Lake Gibson's starting Qb, who is a rising junior and pretty good prospect.

It is very unusual for a brand new program to win most all of its games right away. Something must be going on there. Anyone have further insight?

2 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

Looks like their first season was the 2020 plague year, where they went 7-1. On the field, they've had only winning seasons each year. (The 2022 season had several forfeit losses for games they won on the field.)  Last year was a strong year, at 11-2. They posted pretty huge numbers and margins of victory. The lone regular season loss was without their starting QB, and they avenged it in the playoffs. They were knocked out by Plant in what appears to have been a tight game. 

They just received a QB transfer, in Lake Gibson's starting Qb, who is a rising junior and pretty good prospect.

It is very unusual for a brand new program to win most all of its games right away. Something must be going on there. Anyone have further insight?

Someone left LG and didn't go to Lakeland!?  I'm shocked! :D

On 1/31/2024 at 11:42 PM, Nulli Secundus said:

Someone left LG and didn't go to Lakeland!?  I'm shocked! :D

So, hear me out on this.   A QB left Polk County to attend a school in the Tampa Bay/Hillsborough County area as a junior.   That means Venice can go after him next year.   :P

7 hours ago, Perspective said:

So, hear me out on this.   A QB left Polk County to attend a school in the Tampa Bay/Hillsborough County area as a junior.   That means Venice can go after him next year.   :P

Technically, I believe he must first be Tampa Gaither's starting QB before Peacock comes calling.

• 1 month later...

At the time I made this post, I had no idea that Lakeland would end up playing at Sumner this season. But, they are. They may or may not succeed, but it appears clear Sumner does aim to be the next elite program in the state. They've had a highly unusual amount of success for a program that opened four years ago. And, they appear to have the money to compete for top players in the (utterly insane) NIL era.

14 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

At the time I made this post, I had no idea that Lakeland would end up playing at Sumner this season. But, they are. They may or may not succeed, but it appears clear Sumner does aim to be the next elite program in the state. They've had a highly unusual amount of success for a program that opened four years ago. And, they appear to have the money to compete for top players in the (utterly insane) NIL era.

Their rise seems to be mimicking a rise of a St John's county team who became competitive very quickly

Ironically they play them week 1 this year and that team is Bartram Trail 

10 hours ago, SportsFan said:

Their rise seems to be mimicking a rise of a St John's county team who became competitive very quickly

In an era of school choice, the newer, more impressive schools are going to attract a lot of families.

On 3/8/2024 at 10:36 AM, SportsFan said:

Bartram Trail has been around since 2000. What year did they become competitive? 

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Bartram Trail has been around since 2000. What year did they become competitive? 

Depends what you view as competitive 

If you define competitive as competing for a state title then probably 2011 ish

But they were getting winning seasons very early into their program being in existence like 05 when they won 8 games 

The problem they had for years were they just couldn't beat the more established St Augustine which kept them from winning district titles 

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Though as a whole Bartram Trail has been one of the most consistent and successful teams in North Florida in the past 2 decades