Jump to content

Is Sumner on the verge of being a dominant program?


Recommended Posts

Looks like their first season was the 2020 plague year, where they went 7-1. On the field, they've had only winning seasons each year. (The 2022 season had several forfeit losses for games they won on the field.)  Last year was a strong year, at 11-2. They posted pretty huge numbers and margins of victory. The lone regular season loss was without their starting QB, and they avenged it in the playoffs. They were knocked out by Plant in what appears to have been a tight game. 

They just received a QB transfer, in Lake Gibson's starting Qb, who is a rising junior and pretty good prospect.

It is very unusual for a brand new program to win most all of its games right away. Something must be going on there. Anyone have further insight?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

Looks like their first season was the 2020 plague year, where they went 7-1. On the field, they've had only winning seasons each year. (The 2022 season had several forfeit losses for games they won on the field.)  Last year was a strong year, at 11-2. They posted pretty huge numbers and margins of victory. The lone regular season loss was without their starting QB, and they avenged it in the playoffs. They were knocked out by Plant in what appears to have been a tight game. 

They just received a QB transfer, in Lake Gibson's starting Qb, who is a rising junior and pretty good prospect.

It is very unusual for a brand new program to win most all of its games right away. Something must be going on there. Anyone have further insight?

Someone left LG and didn't go to Lakeland!?  I'm shocked! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/31/2024 at 11:42 PM, Nulli Secundus said:

Someone left LG and didn't go to Lakeland!?  I'm shocked! :D

So, hear me out on this.   A QB left Polk County to attend a school in the Tampa Bay/Hillsborough County area as a junior.   That means Venice can go after him next year.   :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Perspective said:

So, hear me out on this.   A QB left Polk County to attend a school in the Tampa Bay/Hillsborough County area as a junior.   That means Venice can go after him next year.   :P

Technically, I believe he must first be Tampa Gaither's starting QB before Peacock comes calling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

At the time I made this post, I had no idea that Lakeland would end up playing at Sumner this season. But, they are. They may or may not succeed, but it appears clear Sumner does aim to be the next elite program in the state. They've had a highly unusual amount of success for a program that opened four years ago. And, they appear to have the money to compete for top players in the (utterly insane) NIL era.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

At the time I made this post, I had no idea that Lakeland would end up playing at Sumner this season. But, they are. They may or may not succeed, but it appears clear Sumner does aim to be the next elite program in the state. They've had a highly unusual amount of success for a program that opened four years ago. And, they appear to have the money to compete for top players in the (utterly insane) NIL era.

Their rise seems to be mimicking a rise of a St John's county team who became competitive very quickly

Ironically they play them week 1 this year and that team is Bartram Trail 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SportsFan said:

Their rise seems to be mimicking a rise of a St John's county team who became competitive very quickly

Ironically they play them week 1 this year and that team is Bartram Trail 

In an era of school choice, the newer, more impressive schools are going to attract a lot of families.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2024 at 10:36 AM, SportsFan said:

Their rise seems to be mimicking a rise of a St John's county team who became competitive very quickly

Ironically they play them week 1 this year and that team is Bartram Trail 

Bartram Trail has been around since 2000. What year did they become competitive? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Bartram Trail has been around since 2000. What year did they become competitive? 

Depends what you view as competitive 

If you define competitive as competing for a state title then probably 2011 ish

But they were getting winning seasons very early into their program being in existence like 05 when they won 8 games 

The problem they had for years were they just couldn't beat the more established St Augustine which kept them from winning district titles 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Bartram Trail has been around since 2000. What year did they become competitive? 

Though as a whole Bartram Trail has been one of the most consistent and successful teams in North Florida in the past 2 decades 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

As reported by Josh on this site, Sumner's head football coach, Alonzo Ashwood, was dismissed. 

No reason for the dismissal was given, but it certainly wouldn't have been based on the team's on-the-field performance.   I've got a hunch the coach crossed one of those pesky rule lines, perhaps one too many times, and left the principal with little choice.   Again, just speculation on my part.   It'll be interesting to see what repercussions this has for the Stingrays.  

Here's a link to Josh's article:

http://floridahsfootball.com/2024/05/20/alonzo-ashwood-dismissed-at-sumner-after-four-seasons-per-report/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Perspective said:

As reported by Josh on this site, Sumner's head football coach, Alonzo Ashwood, was dismissed. 

No reason for the dismissal was given, but it certainly wouldn't have been based on the team's on-the-field performance.   I've got a hunch the coach crossed one of those pesky rule lines, perhaps one too many times, and left the principal with little choice.   Again, just speculation on my part.   It'll be interesting to see what repercussions this has for the Stingrays.  

Here's a link to Josh's article:

http://floridahsfootball.com/2024/05/20/alonzo-ashwood-dismissed-at-sumner-after-four-seasons-per-report/

This is probably going to impact several different schools. Sumner will probably lose several key players to transfer. This means some schools are going to be getting unforeseen boosts as well. You'd assume that the schools in that immediate area might benefit. But, in this day and age, some players could end up far away. Tampa Robinson lost their head coach to USC, and their top recruit transferred...to Chaminade in Broward County.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2024 at 3:21 PM, SportsFan said:

Depends what you view as competitive 

If you define competitive as competing for a state title then probably 2011 ish

But they were getting winning seasons very early into their program being in existence like 05 when they won 8 games 

The problem they had for years were they just couldn't beat the more established St Augustine which kept them from winning district titles 

Osceola beat Bartram Trail in the State Semifinals in 2007. They had a pretty good team, QB signed with Clemson I believe but ended up playing baseball. Kyle Parker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the last day or so, three major recruits from Sumner's team announced they are transferring to Armwood. Armwood might have been the favorites to win 6A BEFORE the transfers. Now, the Hawks figure to contend to be among the top eight or so teams in the state regardless of classification. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2024 at 9:38 PM, Longtime Observer said:

In the last day or so, three major recruits from Sumner's team announced they are transferring to Armwood. Armwood might have been the favorites to win 6A BEFORE the transfers. Now, the Hawks figure to contend to be among the top eight or so teams in the state regardless of classification. 

So order has been restored 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2024 at 9:38 PM, Longtime Observer said:

In the last day or so, three major recruits from Sumner's team announced they are transferring to Armwood. Armwood might have been the favorites to win 6A BEFORE the transfers. Now, the Hawks figure to contend to be among the top eight or so teams in the state regardless of classification. 

Which players?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

WR Tyler Williams, an OLB and I'm drawing a blank on the other. But, there's more to come. Armwood has a really strong team now.

Funny (in the ironic sense):  now that Plant is showing signs of returning to its glory years, it ends up in the same district as Armwood under the new district classifications.   That should make things interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


  • Posts

    • Most of what would be sent is nearly impossible to prosecute. I mean, if a fan direct messages a kid and says "hey, you should come play for Venice. We really need you!", who/what do you expect to be done? It's a fan sending a simple message. Same thing if it's a 16 year-old boy who plays on the team sending the message. Those kinds of messages may or may not be persuasive. But, I don't see how you could justify some sort of penalty. Especially given the fact that some rival schools may use a little photoshop and make up images of such messages. Ultimately, I think it is highly debatable as to whether the above is even wrong morally. As I've said, the picture many have in their minds of "recruiting" often doesn't match reality. Fans may picture a creepy old man hiding in some bushes who pops out and offers a kid a stack of cash if he transfers. That's not reality, at least not in the 2020s.
    • The biggest factor for Tarpon Springs was the folding of the Clearwater Academy football program. The head coach for CAI was picked up as OC at TS. His QB, who started at TS, followed him back there as did some other good players. This influx made the program much more attractive. And, there really aren't a lot of great alternatives in the immediate area for football. There's no program with such a great resume and such great resources that they can win recruiting battles for players.  Many of the CAI players shopped around at a wider range of programs. But, most of the CAI kids needed housing and/or a program near CAI. I believe it's possible some/all of the CAI transfers may still attend and receive housing at CAI. They'd be allowed to play at TS even while not attending the school since CAI doesn't offer football anymore.
    • Well, I think the result SHOULD influence rankings. BUT, in states where the NFL is king (California being a prime example), people think the KOC is akin to an NFL exhibition. It's a ridiculous assumption in many cases. But, many seem determined not to change their minds. 
    • Tbh I’m with you. As an avid Dillard high alum, former player & fan. So many years I wished that we had the transfer portal & the championships that came with it of a Miami central , Miami northwestern , Sta. To see Dillard high when a state title in football in my lifetime would be one of the proudest moments in my life.    but at the same time I’m also old school where if you wanted to be the BEST you beat the best. I come from an era “90’s” where there were no super teams (To my Knowledge). There was pride and tradition to play for your HOME school & bring success to said school. now everyone wants microwave success aka super teams. No loyalty to the school what so ever everyone just load up at 1 school and make winning the championship as easy as possible. 
    • KOC, first game to start the season, or scrimmage….Both teams will leave it all in the field. Both teams will be 0-0 after this game but don’t think for a second it won’t influence the national polls!!!!
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...