Clearwater Academy football program folds...

At first glance, this was a shocker. But, the truth is football programs are very expensive. They must generate revenue through fan attendance and booster clubs.  It appears CAI was not able to generate enough revenue to continue the program.

This doesn't figure to have a huge impact on area teams, as most of the team was from out of the country and housed in Clearwater by CAI. Most of their players will probably head to IMG or will return to their home countries. 

7 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

At first glance, this was a shocker. But, the truth is football programs are very expensive. They must generate revenue through fan attendance and booster clubs.  It appears CAI was not able to generate enough revenue to continue the program.

This doesn't figure to have a huge impact on area teams, as most of the team was from out of the country and housed in Clearwater by CAI. Most of their players will probably head to IMG or will return to their home countries. 

I have bitter sweet feelings about this. 

It’s sad. They put over 100 international kids into college to play football over the last few years. Kids that would have never had the opportunity to live out their dream without CAI. They did alot of good and never wanted to be like an IMG. They never lied about their model. They had rosters made up primarily of Canadian and European players learning the game of American High School football. 

12 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

It does appear many of the best players at CAI intend to continue playing in the USA, and likely in the state of Florida. Depending on where the kids end up, it could have a significant impact on the game. There are some big-time players returning on that roster, including an elite RB. 

Well, I know that I, for one, can go to bed tonight and rest peacefully knowing that no coaches, assistant coaches, handlers or other representatives of any Florida high school football program will reach out to any of these players or their families to 'discuss their options.'    B)

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Well, I know that I, for one, can go to bed tonight and rest peacefully knowing that no coaches, assistant coaches, handlers or other representatives of any Florida high school football program will reach out to any of these players or their families to 'discuss their options.'    B)

:lol::D

11 hours ago, Perspective said:

They'd definitely never do any of that. After all, the less information parents and students have, the better, right?

11 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

They'd definitely never do any of that. After all, the less information parents and students have, the better, right?

To the contrary.  I'm all about parents and kids having all the information that they can get.  And if they want to reach out for information, that's fine.   But until the FHSAA changes the rules, it remains illegal for schools/coaches to reach out to parents and kids to encourage them to consider their school.  And that happens.   And that's wrong.  

10 hours ago, Perspective said:

To the contrary.  I'm all about parents and kids having all the information that they can get.  And if they want to reach out for information, that's fine.   But until the FHSAA changes the rules, it remains illegal for schools/coaches to reach out to parents and kids to encourage them to consider their school.  And that happens.   And that's wrong.  

How are you going to discern who contacted who first?