TCJax vs. Chaminade 3A

TCMan

It's not a rematch.  TCJax beat American Heritage Delray by a score of 30-3 for the championship last year. TCJax lost a bunch of players last year, but has managed to get back to Orlando for a shot at a fourth straight championship. It looks like it will be a tough one against this Chaminade team that is loaded with athletes.   

JaxTCA 24,  Chaminade 21

Chaminade has a great offensive combination of Henri Columbi, Shaun Shivers, Xavier Williams and Keyondre White. They're pretty deep; however, Chaminade has a really, really strong offensive line.  Chaminade has proven they can score points against very good defenses; however, until a 3A team beats JaxTCA- they're going to be favored.  Chaminade comes the closest any south team has come, but JaxTCA comes up with one or two more plays in the 4th to win.

Considering they held MCC, a team that averaged over 40ppg to just 14 and Oxbridge to 13, I have to assume it's very solid.   I know they have 2 very good defensive ends, and I'm a big fan of both line backers Hunter Buckham and Cody Watson. Their safety is one of the best you'll find.   Overall, I would give the nod to JaxTCA, but Chaminade isn't to far behind.

TCA is fast on both sides of ball. They can get after it. Pass defense has always been there nemesis but always good at stopping the run. If rush can get there that usually helps the pass defense. But they can get caught up in over pursuit alot early but normally make the necessary changes and adapt. If TCA's running game can get started it would open things up for alot of options for them.

I have never seen Chaminade play in person. Should have gone to see them when they came up to Ocala to play North Marion. However, I have seen a few videos of them. From what I saw my thoughts are that TCA is going to take them apart. Against Flanagan and Deerfield Beach they played the best that they could and easily lost to both. IMG totally blew out CM 43-0. TCA gave IMG all they could handle and the game was in doubt until the end. And CM just barely defeated a pretty poor (4-6) Keys Gate team 28-21. If Shivers is the best RB that CM has then he will go nowhere against the TCA defense. He doesn't look particularly fast and is small. Although he has a fairly good completion percentage Colombi looks like an average QB to me. I think that this team relies on Shivers for most of their offense and that will be their downfall. You are not going to defeat TCA with one good RB and limited passing. Even though this TCA team may not be as good as their teams of the last 4 years, they will be good enough to defeat CM relatively easily. They may even shut them out.

Sorry Jessica. You are the expert but I know a little football myself. Just can't see the spectacular things that you see in Chaminade.  :)

TCA is fast on both sides of ball. They can get after it. Pass defense has always been there nemesis but always good at stopping the run. If rush can get there that usually helps the pass defense. But they can get caught up in over pursuit alot early but normally make the necessary changes and adapt. If TCA's running game can get started it would open things up for alot of options for them.

My take is that TCA will shut down the CM running game which will force Colombi to go to the air. From what I've seen Colombi likes to throw up a lot of long passes, sometimes into a crowd. He also goes out to the flat a lot. I'm sure that the TCA coaches know this. He has two pretty good WR's in Ali and Williams. Colombi also does some scrambling as evidenced by having over 500 yards rushing. I just don't think that he will have a lot to time to set up as the TCA DB's will be all over him and scrambling will be dangerous as TCA hits as hard or harder than any good team I have seen. I think that the only chance CM has to stay competitive in this game is to try to limit TCA's offense. IMG tried that and was only marginally successful. Actually IMG just out scored TCA. CM is going to need all of their resources clicking 101% and some south Florida luck to pull this one out. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.  

My take is that TCA will shut down the CM running game which will force Colombi to go to the air. From what I've seen Colombi likes to throw up a lot of long passes, sometimes into a crowd. He also goes out to the flat a lot. I'm sure that the TCA coaches know this. He has two pretty good WR's in Ali and Williams. Colombi also does some scrambling as evidenced by having over 500 yards rushing. I just don't think that he will have a lot to time to set up as the TCA DB's will be all over him and scrambling will be dangerous as TCA hits as hard or harder than any good team I have seen. I think that the only chance CM has to stay competitive in this game is to try to limit TCA's offense. IMG tried that and was only marginally successful. Actually IMG just out scored TCA. CM is going to need all of their resources clicking 101% and some south Florida luck to pull this one out. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

What is considered south Florida luck?

Congrats to Jacksonville Trinity Christian for their 4th straight Class 3A State Championship. Despite the week in and week out rankings- the Conqueror's haven't lost to a 3A team in years. Rasheed Martin was a lot of fun to watch as was DJ Matthews. 

Hats off to Chaminade-Madonna. Many didn't feel you guys wouldn't compete in this one, I figured that winning would be a long shot- but this would be a game in the 4th quarter. Coach Jones is a class act and I wish the Lions well.

Really looking forward to these teams playing again next year in the finals!

Congrats to Coach V and the Conquerors.  A "four-peat" is a rarity in the State of Florida and it's a credit to Coaches, players and everyone associated with the program.  I thought it was a sloppy game but the TCJax defense was the difference. After surrendering an 80 TD on play #1, they defense really shut down Chaminade.  Congrats to Chaminade for a great year coming out of the South.  As far as playing Chaminade next year in the finals?  Not sure about that one.  The Florida Times Union is reporting that TCJax has petitioned to move up to 5A next year, and are awaiting word from the FHSAA.  Not sure of this accuracy of their reporting, but Gene Frenette at the TU is the one who wrote the story. That will be interesting if true as TCJax pursues an unequaled 5th straight title. 

Congrats to Coach V and the Conquerors. A "four-peat" is a rarity in the State of Florida and it's a credit to Coaches, players and everyone associated with the program. I thought it was a sloppy game but the TCJax defense was the difference. After surrendering an 80 TD on play #1, they defense really shut down Chaminade. Congrats to Chaminade for a great year coming out of the South. As far as playing Chaminade next year in the finals? Not sure about that one. The Florida Times Union is reporting that TCJax has petitioned to move up to 5A next year, and are awaiting word from the FHSAA. Not sure of this accuracy of their reporting, but Gene Frenette at the TU is the one who wrote the story. That will be interesting if true as TCJax pursues an unequaled 5th straight title.

AHP vs TCA in the finals?????

I completely missed JaxTCA electing to move up to 5A. Like John Carroll, I can't imagine there would be an issue if they filed the appeal. I imagine 3A would open up and 5A would become that much more powerful- it's a win/win for the FHSAA and football fans.

Idk what the Jacksonville 5A district looks like but John Carroll moving up is a farce. That may be the worst district in the state