Class 3A Week 8

SPCjessica2004

Week 7 of the regular season started to see some separation of teams from top to bottom; however, week 8 should answer any outstanding questions.

Here's my top 5 in 3A entering week 8:

1) Chaminade-Madonna: Huge game this week on tap against Booker T.
2) Oxbridge Academy: Continuing to roll, this time shutting out a good Port St. Lucie Centennial.
3) Clearwater Central Catholic: Marauders get most impressive win in 3A of the week as they knocked off a very solid 5A Rockledge team.
4) Lakeland Christian: Vikings continue to remain undefeated, this time upending Land O' Lakes 38-7.
5) Melbourne Central Catholic: Hustlers dropped a game against Bishop Moore on a 3rd game on 7 days scenario.

Other teams of note: King's Academy, Orlando First Academy, Calvary Christian (Clearwater), Tampa Catholic, Taylor County, Ft. White, American Heritage (Delray).

My game of the week:

Chaminade-Madonna at Booker T. Washington

The Lions should be as healthy as they have been going into this one coming off a bye week. Booker T. on paper, has struggled; however, they've played one of the toughest schedules in the state to this point. Chaminade is another powerful opponent, but maybe not to the level of Miami Central or Coral Gables. I felt going into the season this would be a defining time for the Lions to see where they stand. Right now, Chaminade is 3-2.  I think athletically the teams are very even with a small nod to Chaminade, but Booker T is stronger/deeper in the trenches and have superior numbers. This is going to be a great game to attend and I commend Chaminade for scheduling up regardless of their record.

Clearwater Central Catholic at Calvary Christian (Clearwater)

This game is already being hyped as one of the most definitive games in the state this week as it's a match-up of Max-Preps, All-Americans. CCC and MLB De'Andre Fitz-Henley vs Calvary and WR/S Amari Burney. The storylines are ripe for further explanation as the week progresses. Calvary did not play last week and instead used the week to rest and game-plan the Marauders. The school has been heavily promoting this game and there is an attendance expectation of around 2-2.5k fans. The game is also expected to be televised or streamed professionally. While Calvary has had a strong season, CCC has just done more against much better competition while remaining undefeated. Last week, the Marauders hit the road and knocked off Rockledge 21-13 who was ranked #4 in 5A according to the Pinkos poll.

Melbourne Central Catholic at Ft. Hill (Maryland)

The Hustlers has been banged up, battered and bruised against some very strong competition. MCC finished a grueling 3 games in 7 days with wins over Archbishop McCarthy, Liberty and a loss to Bishop Moore. The Hustlers are still sitting in a good spot, but the importance of the game against a small-school national powerhouse takes on added significance when taking into consideration the importance of home field in the playoffs.

Ft. Hill is undefeated and currently owns a 30 game winning streak; however, I imagine they haven't played a team as athletic as the Hustlers- still, MCC is a long way from home in this one. If MCC can win this one, they'll be heavy favorites in their last 3 games.

Berkeley Prep vs Mitchell (Pasco County)

The Berkeley Prep Buccaneers received a boost to their playoff chances when Sarasota Cardinal Mooney had to forfeit 2 games they dropped from 3-1 to 1-3 and then the Cougars lost to Southeast to fall to 1-4. Berkeley Prep helped their cause by knocking off Admiral Farragut 14-7. A Berkeley Prep win would give them a plethora of points for playoff consideration as Mitchell is undefeated and has played a competitive schedule thus far.

I'll be updating this thread over the course of the week.

The Class 3A AP Poll was released yesterday 10/10; however, I do not believe it was released to the public until a few hours ago. Here's class 3A:

Class 3A AP Poll Week 7

#1 Oxbridge Academy 89 (10)
#2 Chaminade-Madonna 73 (1)
#2 Clearwater Central Catholic 73
#4 Lakeland Christian 59
#5 Melbourne Central Catholic 54

Others receiving votes:The First Academy 6, King's Academy 6

Immediate Feedback:

Oxbridge remains at #1 which is the trendy pick for class 3A #1 as it's a safe bet due to their performance on the football field. I don't believe they've played nearly as difficult schedule as Chaminade-Madonna; however, they're winning the games in convincing fashion. Not many (if any) challenges remain for the Thunderwolves in the regular season. I don't see them being challenged against until the 2nd round of the playoffs against MCC (most likely).

Chaminade-Madonna who was an overwhelmingly huge favorite to win 3A unimpeded this year remains at #2, but this week they have company in the form of an undefeated Clearwater Central Catholic team. The teams have earned the same amount of votes (73). CCC has actually passed Chaminade in a few computer polls such as the Lax Index, we'll have to see what the Pinkos Power Poll says when it posts later today.  CCC has a few impressive wins, while Chaminade has started getting on track after a few routs.  Chaminade vs Booker T is huge this week.  Many people are also beginning to tell me that the week 11 game vs 4A University School could also be a classic game.  I already wrote another forum post about CCC vs Calvary, but after this week the Marauders head home for the rest of the season and will catch Admiral Farragut on the 3rd game off a 3 games in 8 days situation and a Cardinal Mooney team whose playoff chances went up in flames after forfeiting 2 wins due to an illegal player.

Since CCC and Chaminade are tied at 2, there is no 3 this week. At #4 is Lakeland Christian. The Vikings are undefeated and won't be tested until week 9 and 10 when they play Lake Highland Prep and Avon Park, both of whom are having strong seasons thus far. If you haven't had a chance to see Tate Wheatley at LCS, you need to pull up his highlight tape from the season- he's remarkable!

Melbourne Central Catholic rounds out the top 5 after suffering a mild setback to Orlando power Bishop Moore. MCC hits the road this week to play Fort Hill, MD. MCC has played the 2nd toughest schedule in 3A IMHO- I'm curious if the schedule is starting to catch up to the Hustlers; regardless, after this week MCC will be heavy favorites in their last 3 games.

I was just informed by a Chaminade fan that the Booker T vs Chaminade game will be tomorrow (Thursday) 10/12 at 4pm from Chaminade.

I'm curious how people see this game. It's a huge south Florida game between two very talented teams. Booker T. has 3 losses, but all 3 losses have come to national powers or teams ranked in the top 100 in Florida. Chaminade is another powerhouse.

2 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

The Class 3A AP Poll was released yesterday 10/10; however, I do not believe it was released to the public until a few hours ago. Here's class 3A:

Class 3A AP Poll Week 7

#1 Oxbridge Academy 89 (10)
#2 Chaminade-Madonna 73 (1)
#2 Clearwater Central Catholic 73
#4 Lakeland Christian 59
#5 Melbourne Central Catholic 54

Others receiving votes:The First Academy 6, King's Academy 6

Immediate Feedback:

Oxbridge remains at #1 which is the trendy pick for class 3A #1 as it's a safe bet due to their performance on the football field. I don't believe they've played nearly as difficult schedule as Chaminade-Madonna; however, they're winning the games in convincing fashion. Not many (if any) challenges remain for the Thunderwolves in the regular season. I don't see them being challenged against until the 2nd round of the playoffs against MCC (most likely).

Chaminade-Madonna who was an overwhelmingly huge favorite to win 3A unimpeded this year remains at #2, but this week they have company in the form of an undefeated Clearwater Central Catholic team. The teams have earned the same amount of votes (73). CCC has actually passed Chaminade in a few computer polls such as the Lax Index, we'll have to see what the Pinkos Power Poll says when it posts later today.  CCC has a few impressive wins, while Chaminade has started getting on track after a few routs.  Chaminade vs Booker T is huge this week.  Many people are also beginning to tell me that the week 11 game vs 4A University School could also be a classic game.  I already wrote another forum post about CCC vs Calvary, but after this week the Marauders head home for the rest of the season and will catch Admiral Farragut on the 3rd game off a 3 games in 8 days situation and a Cardinal Mooney team whose playoff chances went up in flames after forfeiting 2 wins due to an illegal player.

Since CCC and Chaminade are tied at 2, there is no 3 this week. At #4 is Lakeland Christian. The Vikings are undefeated and won't be tested until week 9 and 10 when they play Lake Highland Prep and Avon Park, both of whom are having strong seasons thus far. If you haven't had a chance to see Tate Wheatley at LCS, you need to pull up his highlight tape from the season- he's remarkable!

Melbourne Central Catholic rounds out the top 5 after suffering a mild setback to Orlando power Bishop Moore. MCC hits the road this week to play Fort Hill, MD. MCC has played the 2nd toughest schedule in 3A IMHO- I'm curious if the schedule is starting to catch up to the Hustlers; regardless, after this week MCC will be heavy favorites in their last 3 games.

Do you think its an Oxbridge/Chaminade final? Or can CCC or MCC get the upset in the semi-finals? Personally I would love to see an Oxbridge/Chaminade final.

BTW is very athletic and doesn't have a gasoline shortage on either side of the ball. Simply put, the program is chalk full of full on gamers. If they get some points early, then watch out. If Richardson has time, he will light the field up with accruracy. I've seen some of Ice's work first hand in the past, and his team can catch on fire at any time, and once lit, they burn it up.

I've not seen Chaminade enough to make a decent projection. I know they have the paper dragons to compete, but we've seen them go down in flames to good teams.

I'll give BTW the edge.

Sfla Spy,

I'll get back to you on that. Projecting the state semi's is a tough heap right now- a lot would depend on injury and who has home field.  Chaminade has played the toughest schedule so far, but I don't think it's actually preparing them for the playoffs because the teams they're beating are really, really, REALLY struggling this year- but the teams that are beating them are national super powers. In addition, every time they play one of those super powers they lose a few key players for weeks on end. I'm aware they beat a very solid Miamar team, but I think that maybe an exception. Solid early season win, regardless though!

It's hard to know how Chaminade will do against a very good high school football team that maybe isn't a national superpower but would be ranked, say, top 40 in Florida that's well coached and healthy.  Let's see how Chaminade does against Booker T, Doral Academy and Uschool.  I honestly thought Uschool was nothing more than Chaminade's JV team, but then a fan sent me 2 Uschool games and I admit, I was wrong. They're slightly less talented than Chaminade, but there is no selfishness going on with the Shark program right now, I don't think the same can be said for Chaminade. Still, top to bottom Chaminade is the most athletic/talented team in 3A.

Oxbridge surprisingly has the roughest road to the finals and could play MCC in round 1. MCC hasn't been healthy since the Tampa Catholic game. TC took a few Hustler players out. I don't think people realize how good this Tampa Catholic football team is. From a pure athletic stand point in 3A, they're not that less athletic than Chaminade and I think their coaching in on point.  That was a huge win for MCC in OT. I think the QB is back this week for the Maryland team and then the Hustlers will have 3 weeks to get healthy, which I think they will. I don't believe MCC will catch Oxbridge in the points unless they beat Ft. Hill (which is looking more doubtful every day).

If Oxbridge wins that one, they maybe traveling to an undefeated Orlando First Academy team that has a very established coaching staff with some star athletes that run a Wing-T offense. After that, they would most likely have to travel to Taylor (Perry) or Ft. White- I'd guess Taylor at this point.

3 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

BTW is very athletic and doesn't have a gasoline shortage on either side of the ball. Simply put, the program is chalk full of full on gamers. If they get some points early, then watch out. If Richardson has time, he will light the field up with accruracy. I've seen some of Ice's work first hand in the past, and his team can catch on fire at any time, and once lit, they burn it up.

I've not seen Chaminade enough to make a decent projection. I know they have the paper dragons to compete, but we've seen them go down in flames to good teams.

I'll give BTW the edge.

Thanks for the feedback Cat_Scratch! I agree with fwiw!

1 hour ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Sfla Spy,

I'll get back to you on that. Projecting the state semi's is a tough heap right now- a lot would depend on injury and who has home field.  Chaminade has played the toughest schedule so far, but I don't think it's actually preparing them for the playoffs because the teams they're beating are really, really, REALLY struggling this year- but the teams that are beating them are national super powers. In addition, every time they play one of those super powers they lose a few key players for weeks on end. I'm aware they beat a very solid Miamar team, but I think that maybe an exception. Solid early season win, regardless though!

It's hard to know how Chaminade will do against a very good high school football team that maybe isn't a national superpower but would be ranked, say, top 40 in Florida that's well coached and healthy.  Let's see how Chaminade does against Booker T, Doral Academy and Uschool.  I honestly thought Uschool was nothing more than Chaminade's JV team, but then a fan sent me 2 Uschool games and I admit, I was wrong. They're slightly less talented than Chaminade, but there is no selfishness going on with the Shark program right now, I don't think the same can be said for Chaminade. Still, top to bottom Chaminade is the most athletic/talented team in 3A.

Oxbridge surprisingly has the roughest road to the finals and could play MCC in round 1. MCC hasn't been healthy since the Tampa Catholic game. TC took a few Hustler players out. I don't think people realize how good this Tampa Catholic football team is. From a pure athletic stand point in 3A, they're not that less athletic than Chaminade and I think their coaching in on point.  That was a huge win for MCC in OT. I think the QB is back this week for the Maryland team and then the Hustlers will have 3 weeks to get healthy, which I think they will. I don't believe MCC will catch Oxbridge in the points unless they beat Ft. Hill (which is looking more doubtful every day).

If Oxbridge wins that one, they maybe traveling to an undefeated Orlando First Academy team that has a very established coaching staff with some star athletes that run a Wing-T offense. After that, they would most likely have to travel to Taylor (Perry) or Ft. White- I'd guess Taylor at this point.

Great insight as always Jessica

Thanks

16 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I was just informed by a Chaminade fan that the Booker T vs Chaminade game will be tomorrow (Thursday) 10/12 at 4pm from Chaminade.

I'm curious how people see this game. It's a huge south Florida game between two very talented teams. Booker T. has 3 losses, but all 3 losses have come to national powers or teams ranked in the top 100 in Florida. Chaminade is another powerhouse.

Does anyone know why this scheduling change happened?

With Chaminade-Madonna's win over Booker T, I received an E-mail from a few Chaminade faithful that I've had the pleasure of getting to know over the season via E-mail. The question caught me off guard, "Does Chaminade have any more road games this year?". 

Chaminade finishes the season at home against Doral Academy, Flanagan and University School. Because Chaminade plays in a weaker region, they'll finish as the #1 seed unless there are some upsets of epic proportions which means Chaminade would also host the first two rounds of the playoffs.

The question becomes, would Chaminade host the state semi's (Final 4) and thus have all home games until the state championship?  That depends on the point system.. here's my updated projection on how Chaminade's opponents will finish and how many points Chaminade is likely to get:

Chaminade (9 games)
Central:   (9-1)              33 points *   Cat 1 loss
Miramar:  (7-2)           45 points      Cat 3 win
Am Heritage: (10-0)  33 points *    Cat 1 loss
Piper (2-6):                    38 points * Cat 4 win
Ely (2-8):                         38 points *   Cat 4 win
Booker T: (4-5)            43 points*    Cat 3 win
Doral:  (8-2)                  53* points   Cat 1 win
Flanagan: (2-8)            38 points*   Cat 4 win
Uschool: (9-1)              53 points*     Cat 1 win
---------------------------------------------
Total:  374  /9
Avg Point:   41.5

I've had the chance to speak with some Miami friends who've helped my hubby and I project how the teams above are likely to do. Helping Chaminade is that Doral and Uschool are likely to finish as Category 1 teams. In other words, Doral Academy is good enough to beat bad to average teams that liter their schedule, but not good enough to beat good teams.  Uschool being undefeated is helping as well. The Miramar win has also come back to help the Lions. I'm projecting Miramar to finish 7-2 with losses to STA and Chaminade.

Hurting the Lions is how bad Piper, Ely and Flanagan are performing this year.  It's not helping that Booker T. is struggling. I'm projecting that without their star QB Booker will drop the Carol City game but win against Evans to finish 4-5.

The biggest challenge on Chaminades schedule is their week 11 game against University School. I'm giving the Lions, playing at home the nod though. I don't think Uschool can contain Shivers.

So, is there any team from Region 3 that could finish with more than a 41.5 average?  That depends on how the FHSAA determines who hosts 3A State Semi's. If it's the point system, are teams played in the playoffs counted toward the point total or is strictly off regular season points?  In the previous system, it alternated north and south- thus Chaminade would been guaranteed to host since last year south traveled north.

Once I get the answer the playoff question, I can give a slightly firmer response.

4 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

With Chaminade-Madonna's win over Booker T, I received an E-mail from a few Chaminade faithful that I've had the pleasure of getting to know over the season via E-mail. The question caught me off guard, "Does Chaminade have any more road games this year?". 

Chaminade finishes the season at home against Doral Academy, Flanagan and University School. Because Chaminade plays in a weaker region, they'll finish as the #1 seed unless there are some upsets of epic proportions which means Chaminade would also host the first two rounds of the playoffs.

The question becomes, would Chaminade host the state semi's (Final 4) and thus have all home games until the state championship?  That depends on the point system.. here's my updated projection on how Chaminade's opponents will finish and how many points Chaminade is likely to get:

Chaminade (9 games)

I've had the chance to speak with some Miami friends who've helped my hubby and I project how the teams above are likely to do. Helping Chaminade is that Doral and Uschool are likely to finish as Category 1 teams. In other words, Doral Academy is good enough to beat bad to average teams that liter their schedule, but not good enough to beat good teams.  Uschool being undefeated is helping as well. The Miramar win has also come back to help the Lions. I'm projecting Miramar to finish 7-2 with losses to STA and Chaminade.

Hurting the Lions is how bad Piper, Ely and Flanagan are performing this year.  It's not helping that Booker T. is struggling. I'm projecting that without their star QB Booker will drop the Carol City game but win against Evans to finish 4-5.

The biggest challenge on Chaminades schedule is their week 11 game against University School. I'm giving the Lions, playing at home the nod though. I don't think Uschool can contain Shivers.

So, is there any team from Region 3 that could finish with more than a 41.5 average?  That depends on how the FHSAA determines who hosts 3A State Semi's. If it's the point system, are teams played in the playoffs counted toward the point total or is strictly off regular season points?  In the previous system, it alternated north and south- thus Chaminade would been guaranteed to host since last year south traveled north.

Once I get the answer the playoff question, I can give a slightly firmer response.

4.7.2.3.2 State Semifinals (a) Dates and Times. See the football webpage at FHSAA.ORG. (b) Bracketing. The Region 1 champion will play the Region 2 champion, and the Region 3 champion will play the Region 4 champion in the state semifinal games in each classification. (c) Host Schools. One of the two competing schools shall be designated as the host school for each state semifinal game, and shall determine the site of the game for which it serves as host. The host schools shall be designated as follows: teams with the highest regular season wildcard point average will be designated “home” team.

23 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Chaminade (9 games)

I thought Chaminade can't host playoff games because they do not have lights. 

1 minute ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

They can play on a neutral field though. In other words, if Chaminade can provide a local stadium such as a high school that is out of playoff contention or a community stadium willing to host the game, they can use that facility.

That's too bad. You work hard all year and overcome some early season obstacles to get home field and then you can't host the game. 

1 hour ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Chaminade (9 games)

I would tend to agree with this.  University School is a solid team,  but not quite at the level of a BTW or Miramar to me.  

Did anyone ever find out why BTW changed this game to @ Chaminade and to Thursday?

This is rather relevant IMO for this game....

Did not see the game last night but Statistically I saw BTW beat Chaminade-Madonna but that also included key turnovers.  BTW apparently diced CM up through the air but could not capitalize.  CM took advantage of turnovers appeared to feed off big and broken plays.  Not much clock control, drives established for CM - lots of bang-bang plays.

I believe if BTW Richardson plays this entire game, BTW surely puts more points up in this one.  BTW had like 425+ total yards on the night with him out most  of the game.

Based on some numbers though it also appears that CM probably actually held up (or even controlled)  the trenches and from what I saw on some highlights the BTW OL was fading fast in that second half....

Here are some highlights from FOOTBALLVILLE NATION:

I know region 3A-1 isn't a cared for as much as  the rest of 3A but a lot happened this past Friday with 3 of 4 teams in the playoff contentions loosing last night taylor lost to Williston, Newberry lost to Dixie and Florida high lost to Wakulla. Some big games coming this week with Fort white 5-2 going to Dixie 8-0 and Taylor 4-3 going Newberry 3-4. If fort white does win over Dixie we have 2 wins over teams that have beaten Taylor county and if Newberry beats Taylor county this coming week fort white will then play Newberry the following week.

4 minutes ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

I know region 3A-1 isn't a cared for as much as  the rest of 3A but a lot happened this past Friday with 3 of 4 teams in the playoff contentions loosing last night taylor lost to Williston, Newberry lost to Dixie and Florida high lost to Wakulla. Some big games coming this week with Fort white 5-2 going to Dixie 8-0 and Taylor 4-3 going Newberry 3-4. If fort white does win over Dixie we have 2 wins over teams that have beaten Taylor county and if Newberry beats Taylor county this coming week fort white will then play Newberry the following week.

Dixie looking good so that should be a interesting matchup

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Dixie looking good so that should be a interesting matchup

Will be the biggest game of the year for us. Dixie isn't like Williston or Union who rely on one guy to win they have 3 weapons on offense and believe they have 19 seniors on the team which helps out a lot I believe we have like 8 and are very young loosing 16 seniors from last years team. Advantage to Dixie being home and seeing how where 2-2 on the road this year but 3-0 at home scoring 102 and giving up 10 pts in those three but like you said should be very good game.