Central Florida Games

DarterBlue2

This week, the two most competitive games which have the most implications for the coming playoffs are: 1. Winter Park vs Boone; and, 2. OC University vs Lake Mary. Both games should be competitive. Winter Park and Orange City can wrap up a birth via District Championship with wins. 

I believe the Winter Park game will be a defensive battle while the Orange City game will see somewhere in the region of 50 or more total points on the board. I am leaning towards going to the OC University vs Lake Mary game, but have not made up my mind as of yet. 

My take on Central Florida 8A teams are that in aggregate they are somewhat down this year in relation to the past five or six seasons. Of the teams I have seen, Osceola looks like it could make a run at the State Title. Aside from them, unless Wekiva gets more explosive on offense, or one of the other contenders (WP, Apopka, DP, Seminole, OC University) kicks it up a notch in the playoffs, I suspect that the south representative or for that matter Vero Beach or Riverview will end up with the championship. 

Viera played down at Vero Beach for preseason game. One of the best atmospheres I have been a part of for sure. For anyone that knows' how good is the Vero team compared to recent ones. They seem to have a history of having a great regular season record and then laying an egg first couple rounds of play-offs. From our game, it was hard to tell because Viera had 7 turnovers but was driving for the winning score in 4th qt. Vero Beach had talent all over the field and seemed to have plenty of depth also.    

3 minutes ago, Bamarod said:

Viera played down at Vero Beach for preseason game. One of the best atmospheres I have been a part of for sure. For anyone that knows' how good is the Vero team compared to recent ones. They seem to have a history of having a great regular season record and then laying an egg first couple rounds of play-offs. From our game, it was hard to tell because Viera had 7 turnovers but was driving for the winning score in 4th qt. Vero Beach had talent all over the field and seemed to have plenty of depth also.    

Having seen a number of Vero games on film, my feeling is that, this Vero team is at least as good as it's been in the past four years. They benefit from the fact that the other teams in Regions 1 and 2 do not seem to have a State Title caliber team. 

Vero, in my opinion, has a great opportunity to go deep in the playoffs this year. 

The knock against Vero since the 90's has been that they do not play anyone during the regular season, and flame out early in the playoffs as a result. It seems as though Coach Jankowski is trying to change that this season. If you look at Vero Beach's schedule, it is somewhat more difficult this season:

KOC: Viera (Class 7A 2015 state runner up, 2016 regional finalist)

week 1: @ Oscar Smith HS, Chesapeake, VA (won state titles in 08, 11, state runner up in 2016)

week 2: @ Wellington (Won 8A district 9 in 2016)

week 3: Miami Dr Krop (Postponed due to Hurricane Irma)

week 4: Ft Lauderdale (Cancelled due to Hurricane Irma)

week 5: Pahokee (Won Class 1A state title in 2016)

week 6: SLW Centennial (district game)

week 7: Olympic Heights 

week 8: @ Treasure Coast High School (district game) 

week 9: Tallahasee Lincoln (fill in game during previously scheduled bye week since Ft Lauderdale cannot play make up game this season, does not count towards playoff points standings, however)

week 10: @Ft Pierce Central (district game)

Monday Oct 30: Miami Dr Krop (make up date for Hurricane postponed game)

week 11: @Sebastian River (Rivalry game, 2016 regional semifinalist) 

Vero has a proud football tradition (won 1981 state title,) they put many kids into D1, D2, etc programs and have had many guys play at the NFL level as well. In recent years Vero has struggled to make the "next step" in terms of the 8A North bracket playoffs: 2015 they lost by a touchdown to Osceola (who played in the title game,) 2016 lost to Dr Phillips (who played in the title game) by 10 last year. 

As you stated Bamarod, the citrus bowl in Vero Beach is one of the best places to watch a high school game in Florida, and well worth the trip if the anyone is so inclined.