UCF Beats Auburn

Cat_Scratch

I can't believe that no one started a thread about the game.

I was impressed with how well UCF did this year, and to be the only FBS to finish undefeated against some quality teams says a lot about University of Central Florida. 

Also glad to see that the Bulls had a great season. Both of their losses were very close.  

I just hope that Frost and staff leaving UCF isn't going to kill the program.

If you look at where the kids are from on UCF's roster, it is really impressive.  They are pulling kids from all over the state, from a lot of different schools with good programs, which will open doors for future recruits from those schools.  They have got kids from some of the good Georgia programs across the line too, ie Colquitt County, Valdosta.  I don't think UF has been able to get any kids from that area of late.      

http://ucfknights.com/roster.aspx?path=football

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

If you look at where the kids are from on UCF's roster, it is really impressive.  They are pulling kids from all over the state, from a lot of different schools with good programs, which will open doors for future recruits from those schools.  They have got kids from some of the good Georgia programs across the line too, ie Colquitt County, Valdosta.  I don't think UF has been able to get any kids from that area of late.      

http://ucfknights.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Uf generally snubs good players from this north Florida or south Georgia region (except Gainesville schools for some reason)

20 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Unfortunately unless ucf joins a power 5 conference they will never be given a chance at playoffs 

I disagree but it would be hard.  you can't go 0-12 2 years ago be average last year and then start a season not ranked high and with a weak schedule go 12-0 and expect to be in the playoffs.  If Frost was back they would enter next year between 12-18.  If they scheduled some difficult power 5 teams next year they would have had a chance.  Unfortunately their non conference games next year are UNC, Pitt and FAU.  That will not cut it if you want to win or play for a national title and not be in a power 5.  

It can be done and here is an example.  Houston in 2015 went 13-1 and beat FSU in a bowl and finished ranked 8th in the country.  The next year they started out ranked 15th at the beginning of the year.  In the first week they beat Oklahoma and jumped up to 6.  They also had a top 5 ranked Louisville on the schedule later in the year.  If they would have went undefeated with 2 top 10 wins they would have got in the playoffs.  Also that year the power 5 only had one undefeated team and a 2 loss team got in the playoffs.  For a non power 5 to get in they have to start out ranked, have a tough out of conference schedule and they need some help from the power 5 teams not going undefeated. 

17 minutes ago, badbird said:

I disagree but it would be hard.  you can't go 0-12 2 years ago be average last year and then start a season not ranked high and with a weak schedule go 12-0 and expect to be in the playoffs.  If Frost was back they would enter next year between 12-18.  If they scheduled some difficult power 5 teams next year they would have had a chance.  Unfortunately their non conference games next year are UNC, Pitt and FAU.  That will not cut it if you want to win or play for a national title and not be in a power 5.  

It can be done and here is an example.  Houston in 2015 went 13-1 and beat FSU in a bowl and finished ranked 8th in the country.  The next year they started out ranked 15th at the beginning of the year.  In the first week they beat Oklahoma and jumped up to 6.  They also had a top 5 ranked Louisville on the schedule later in the year.  If they would have went undefeated with 2 top 10 wins they would have got in the playoffs.  Also that year the power 5 only had one undefeated team and a 2 loss team got in the playoffs.  For a non power 5 to get in they have to start out ranked, have a tough out of conference schedule and they need some help from the power 5 teams not going undefeated. 

But sounds like it has to be a multi season effort 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But sounds like it has to be a multi season effort 

almost or they would have to have a brutal non conference schedule.  Voting is subjective so it would need to be influenced by past performance or something that makes you say wow they are really really good.  Unfortunately for UCF that came in a bowl game after the playoffs were selected.  No one got excited about wins over FIU, Maryland and Austin Peay in non conference play plus the conference ais not seen as one of the top conferences.  You can't be non Power 5 and have that non conference schedule and expect to be seen as a top team.  look at Wisconsin this year they are a power 5 team and got very little respect until after a ton of teams lost twice.  Week 11 they were 9-0 and ranked 8 behind 4 teams with a loss.

Thing is, if UCF played UF and FSU and won, people would say that both teams were way down. And the truth is that both teams are down, but both teams still are very competetive and still play top teams close for a few quarters. Depth does matter and condition and coaching make up for size.

Most of the UCF fans and alum I know feel they deserve a higher rank because they did go undefeated. They beat a few very good teams, including Memphis who only lost to UCF and lost to Iowa 21-20. The same Iowa that beat OU.

I can see the bitch on their final ranking, but I can't see a national champship banner hanging in their stadium.