FHSAA advisory committee meeting

DisabledAccount

Instead, it was approved on a scale of 35 for a loss to a Category 1 team, 30 for a loss to a Category 2 team, 25 for a loss to a Category 3 team and 20 for a loss to a Category 4 team. In essence, an increase by five points across the board.

I can see rewarding teams for losing to really good teams but they just rewarded everyone for losing.  they should have added 5 points to losing to a category 1 team and added 5 points for beating a category 1 team.  

11 minutes ago, badbird said:

I can see rewarding teams for losing to really good teams but they just rewarded everyone for losing.  they should have added 5 points to losing to a category 1 team and added 5 points for beating a category 1 team.  

I agree but still it's a improvement 

Now a cat 1 loss counts same as a cat 4 win if i read correctly 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I agree but still it's a improvement 

Now a cat 1 loss counts same as a cat 4 win if i read correctly 

Why is it an improvement?  I don't know if it is.  I also don't know if it isn't.  Someone needs to run the numbers and see.  I think with you bumping them all up 5 you really did nothing but help teams with losses.  Is that really what we want?  We want to help teams with good losses.

Awarding bonus points for playing schools in larger classifications was amended from a one-point per class scale to a tiered system with a max of three points and no deductions for playing down. That goes into effect starting in 2019.

How does this work?  If I'm 1A and play anyone 4A or higher I get 3 extra points?  If I play someone in 3A I get 2?  someone in 2A I get 1?  7A teams could get 1 point for playing 8A teams and no more?

I'm not a big fan of this as I don't think a teams class has any impact on how good that team is but i'm ok with it.  So lower class need to play up vs average teams they can beat.  Or play up vs really really good teams.

I do like the 6 teams per Region in 1A-4A with seeds 1 and 2 getting a bye.  I don't like they choose no districts or not to make a team play a certain # of teams in the region.  I think you are trying to compare Apples to Bananas when looking at those teams when they don't play similar teams.

10 minutes ago, badbird said:

Why is it an improvement?  I don't know if it is.  I also don't know if it isn't.  Someone needs to run the numbers and see.  I think with you bumping them all up 5 you really did nothing but help teams with losses.  Is that really what we want?  We want to help teams with good losses.

I haven't looked at it but if every category got a 5 point bump for a loss I would think it wouldn't really do anything. Because everyone no matter if you lose to Cat 1 or 4 would be getting 5 more points than last year. 

3 minutes ago, smashmouth80 said:

I haven't looked at it but if every category got a 5 point bump for a loss I would think it wouldn't really do anything. Because everyone no matter if you lose to Cat 1 or 4 would be getting 5 more points than last year. 

it helps teams with more losses 

14 minutes ago, badbird said:

Did you read everything they did

They also bumping small classes (1-4a) from 4 per region to 6 and giving 1 and 2 seeds a bye 

That would have gotten BTW in playoffs and also gets rid of the unnessisary bye week and has 5 weeks for all classes 

Clear up language on postponed and interrupted games, so teams can’t manipulate the system. Every game must have a winner and loser declared. Postponed games are ones postponed before they begin. All postponed games must be played the next day unless both schools mutually agree on a later rescheduled date. Failure for a team to participate in the rescheduled date results in a forfeit, and all games on a team’s schedule must be played the Tuesday before Week 11 on the football calendar. Interrupted games are those happening after the game starts, but isn’t finished. Teams either mutually agree to end the game with the score as it exists, mutually agree to resume the game at the interrupted point the next day or a mutually agreed upon later date. All interrupted games completed by Tuesday of Week 11 on the football calendar. There’s also a two-hour cumulative delay deadline for each regular season football game, which starts when officials and/or administrators interrupt the game. Teams go to the interrupted contest procedures above after the two-hour cumulative delay period ends. Was approved in concept only. Sent back to staff for language revisions that were recommended.

I do like this.  Games now must be made up.  

7 minutes ago, badbird said:

How does this work?  If I'm 1A and play anyone 4A or higher I get 3 extra points?  If I play someone in 3A I get 2?  someone in 2A I get 1?  7A teams could get 1 point for playing 8A teams and no more?

I'm not a big fan of this as I don't think a teams class has any impact on how good that team is but i'm ok with it.  So lower class need to play up vs average teams they can beat.  Or play up vs really really good teams.

I do like the 6 teams per Region in 1A-4A with seeds 1 and 2 getting a bye.  I don't like they choose no districts or not to make a team play a certain # of teams in the region.  I think you are trying to compare Apples to Bananas when looking at those teams when they don't play similar teams.

I did feel they made a mistake not taking the set region games

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Did you read everything they did

They also bumping small classes (1-4a) from 4 per region to 6 and giving 1 and 2 seeds a bye 

That would have gotten BTW in playoffs and also gets rid of the unnessisary bye week and has 5 weeks for all classes 

we were only talking 5 points for losses not the whole thing go back and read my comments

8 minutes ago, badbird said:

It means a team like Madison will get 3 more bonus points on top of what they already get playing us which may lead to this series lasting more long term

2. Awarding bonus points for playing schools in larger classes, based on a 1-point per higher class scale. The 1A rural schools are placed in 2A or 3A for bonus points only, based on enrollment size. Out-of-state teams are placed by Florida’s school enrollment classification system for bonus points. Amended to a tiered bonus points system, capped at three points, which needs a proposed model.

so if we are basing it off enrollment size should a Niceville who petitioned to move down to 6A and should be 7A get a bonus point for playing a 7A team?

I would have extended the points making a Category 1 win worth a lot more and a Category 4 loss a lot less. I don't like them equaling, would prefer to see a win matter more, especially if they are going to add bonus points for various things. 

My Suggestion:
Category 1
Win: 65 points
Loss: 35 points

Category 2  
Win: 50 points
Loss: 30 points

Category 3
Win: 40 points
Loss: 20 points

Category 4
Win: 35 points
Loss: 5 points

-------------------
I like the roster extension.
I dislike they turned down leveling of classification sizes.

13 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I would have extended the points making a Category 1 win worth a lot more and a Category 4 loss a lot less. I don't like them equaling, would prefer to see a win matter more, especially if they are going to add bonus points for various things. 

My Suggestion:
Category 1
Win: 65 points
Loss: 35 points

Category 2  
Win: 50 points
Loss: 30 points

Category 3
Win: 40 points
Loss: 20 points

Category 4
Win: 35 points
Loss: 5 points

-------------------
I like the roster extension.
I dislike they turned down leveling of classification sizes.

so losing to American Heritage should be the same as beating an 0-10 team?  

You run into the dangerous situation of when losing trumps winning. 

Let's use Class 3A (I chose the last seed in each region)
American Heritage's points increase to 37.89 with the additional points for losing.
Newberry's points increase to 37.11
Melbourne Central Catholic's points increase to 38.22
Tampa Catholic's points increase to 39

A team stinks, like really bad, but their schedule is awesome.

They have 7 category 1 losses, who all happen to be playoff teams in previous years.
They additionally have 3 category 2 wins. This 3-7 team now has a playoff points of 38.6 points. Does this team really deserve to be in? I would say not, but the new system lets them in. 

Like I said, the biggest problem is that they need to make top flight wins worth more. The gaps should be more than 5 points.