Arkansas HS Transfer Marries Girl So He Can Play

OldSchoolLion

what's next folks?

This past season, an Arkansas high school that had been 1win-48loss in its past 5 seasons had a dramatic turnaround due to a new transfer running back.  Originally, the player was ruled ineligible to play by the Arkansas Activities Association. So, like many transfers do, he found a loophole.  He married a female student — both are 17 years old — who already attended the school, and then he moved in with her and her family. 

“We’re in the participation business,” said Lance Taylor, executive director of the Arkansas Activities Association, according to Pederson. “So, we try to get kids eligible as long as they meet the rules that all students have to meet in our state.”  Pederson reports that Rule 16, Subsection A, Exception 6 states that if a “student is married and living with a spouse … who had an established domicile in the district one year prior to the marriage,” then he or she is instantly eligible.

The player missed the opening game, which the team lost 35-0.  After joining the team, they reeled off 7 straight wins in which he gained 100+ yards in each game.  The school superintendent provided the AAA with the marriage certificate with the two students’ names on it to finalize eligibility.

11 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

SMH. Success has a 1000 fathers and failure is an orphan, I guess. 

makes me wonder...if they have any kids while at the school, will the kid be eligible for lifetime, instant eligibility at the school :rolleyes:

Am buying a fishing license to fish for trout in West Virginia.  Have to buy a base license and 2 stamps per person..big expense for a weekend of fishing on public, government-owned land

Maybe we should have "transfer" licenses that parents can buy to allow one transfer, multiple transfers or unlimited transfers between schools, all priced accordingly.:D  Would be a great way to raise money for our struggling school systems and maybe slow down some of the nonsense.  For those who think it's a kid's "right" to do as he pleases concerning the public school system...well, we don't get to fish for free on public land so maybe parents using the public school system should pony up if they want to use it to blatantly shop their kids for scholarships. 

19 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

what's next folks?

This past season, an Arkansas high school that had been 1win-48loss in its past 5 seasons had a dramatic turnaround due to a new transfer running back.  Originally, the player was ruled ineligible to play by the Arkansas Activities Association. So, like many transfers do, he found a loophole.  He married a female student — both are 17 years old — who already attended the school, and then he moved in with her and her family. 

“We’re in the participation business,” said Lance Taylor, executive director of the Arkansas Activities Association, according to Pederson. “So, we try to get kids eligible as long as they meet the rules that all students have to meet in our state.”  Pederson reports that Rule 16, Subsection A, Exception 6 states that if a “student is married and living with a spouse … who had an established domicile in the district one year prior to the marriage,” then he or she is instantly eligible.

The player missed the opening game, which the team lost 35-0.  After joining the team, they reeled off 7 straight wins in which he gained 100+ yards in each game.  The school superintendent provided the AAA with the marriage certificate with the two students’ names on it to finalize eligibility.

Mountain Pine would have been pretty fair, and much better than usual, with or without the transfer, but one moderately fast kid (no he isn't really very fast or quick) who isn't afraid to tackle makes a difference at a HS with 150 enrollment. MPHS would have probably won 3-4 without Haywood in 2017, but his offensive and defensive play made possible three wins they would likely have lost without him.

2 minutes ago, s1nglewing said:

Mountain Pine would have been pretty fair, and much better than usual, with or without the transfer, but one moderately fast kid (no he isn't really very fast or quick) who isn't afraid to tackle makes a difference at a HS with 150 enrollment. MPHS would have probably won 3-4 without Haywood in 2017, but his offensive and defensive play made possible three wins they would likely have lost without him.

if only the girl's 14 year-old sister would have been willing to marry the all-state qb...even Arkansas has it's limits, I guess:D