Quantcast
Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BrowardHandicapper

5a south/AHP/Hardee

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Okay..Fine game on.  Your call.  

 

1.  I'm not denying that topic but I am surprised by the details that you state...I know AHP has not been a super power for long and I know STA has great teams in the past but not the run they have had in recent years.

2. LOL ..What does that mean? So what if WH  are a 7A school.  Do you want to see what some 1, 2, and 3A schools would do to Hardee? There are plenty of 1,2,3, and 4A schools that can show Hardee how to take care of business with teams like Dunbar ..LOL

3. Yeah, Okay...appreciate the answer but as much as OldSchoolLion has convinced you.  "Coaching" is likely not the jist of the reason Hardee is struggling in the post-season.

4. Sure.. A true representative what a 5A in Florida High School football should look like.  Glad to see you have high standards for FL HS football.

5. There are plenty of 1,2,3 and 4A schools out there that could have won 5A States last year over BC. Not sure how much you get away from Highway 17 and Hardee but consider getting out more.  Take a trip to Fort Myers, Sarasota, Tampa, Orlando or ever Trez Powell if you get the opportunity.   A stacked team is not the only reason BC lost that game.  It surely had nothing to do with overall team speed, right?

"5A is a mid-sized school class. " That is somewhat correct.  Considering there are 8 classifications, "5" is slightly above the mid point of 4 and you have a mid/mid upper class.  How about we send Madison County and Pahokee out to Hardee to teach you a thing or two about classification size and talent.

 

 

Next.

I don't doubt that smaller schools can a do beat larger schools. Hell, Hardee even plays and wins over larger schools. That doesn't mean we should have to do it every week.  And yes we have even beat teams that have won a state title in years we got knocked out of the playoffs. Example: 2004 over Fort Meade.  

Yes I get out and see Lakeland and Braden River on occasion.  

Hardee vs Dunbar game last year. Half time score was 17-7 Hardee leading. Midway through the 3rd I said to my son next to me, Dunbar is going to win. They are bringing an outside blitz and our coaches are not picking up on it.

If you are referred to 4a Cocoa being able to put a pounding on Baker county, you are probably right. But then again Cocoa is like AHP, a stacked team hanging out in a smaller class. 

Hardee would do fine against Madison or Pahokee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I don't doubt that smaller schools can a do beat larger schools. Hell, Hardee even plays and wins over larger schools. That doesn't mean we should have to do it every week.  And yes we have even beat teams that have won a state title in years we got knocked out of the playoffs. Example: 2004 over Fort Meade.  

Yes I get out and see Lakeland and Braden River on occasion.  

Hardee vs Dunbar game last year. Half time score was 17-7 Hardee leading. Midway through the 3rd I said to my son next to me, Dunbar is going to win. They are bringing an outside blitz and our coaches are not picking up on it.

If you are referred to 4a Cocoa being able to put a pounding on Baker county, you are probably right. But then again Cocoa is like AHP, a stacked team hanging out in a smaller class. 

Hardee would do fine against Madison or Pahokee.

Seriously??? You just said "Hardee would do fine against Madison or Pahokee."?

Okay.  I'll let you win this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:
10 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Seriously??? You just said "Hardee would do fine against Madison or Pahokee."?

Okay.  I'll let you win this one

Oh how nice of you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Glad someone can admit that.  Stacked teams in SFL are not going away.  Sometimes if something is not working you have to try something else.  Ponte Vedra seemed to figured it out quickly.  Venice took advantage of a opportunity in 2017. ...

 

10 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

One of the biggest obstacles faced by small towns and rural areas in attracting talent from out of the area, is the lack of employment opportunities. I know of several individuals with middle and high school aged kids that would love to leave metro Orlando which has grown too big for them. However, to go to Madison County or Lake City or even Tavares, which is on the outskirts of metro Orlando, would severely impact their economic situations due to poor job prospects. 

I provided facts earlier in the post demonstrating how American Heritage (PL), Chaminade, and Cardinal Gibbons made what in my opinion were astonishing strides in performance in short periods of time.  Please share what techniques (drills, coaching, etc) they used so that others might get ideas as to how to enjoy similar success.  

You mentioned that Ponte Vedra(St Johns County) figured it out pretty quickly and Venice(Sarasota County) took advantage.  Not to mention Bartram Trail(St Johns County).  Please look at the following chart. 

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/united-states/quick-facts/florida/percent-of-people-of-all-ages-in-poverty#chart

St Johns and Sarasota Counties are two of the wealthiest counties in the state.  Only 1 county has more people living below the poverty line than Hardee.  There are relatively few thriving, ranked teams amongst the poorest of counties.  I think it more than coincidence that schools in some of the wealthiest counties in the state are "figuring things out" quicker than poor counties.

We need to be sensitive to the fact that some kids and parents may have more to worry about than football...namely, what's for dinner tonight.  And kids in some rural counties struggling with substance abuse at very high rates.   It's not simply a matter of "trying harder" to make up for the disparities between their programs and some of the highly ranked programs.  I think it's unfair of us to assume that some programs have fallen off simply due to lack of effort on the practice field.

It is probably a fact that "loaded" teams are here to stay.  It is a fact that Florida has one of the highest income inequalities amongst its residents of any state in the country.  And it is probably a fact that this gap will continue to widen.  

My opinion...in the past, rural counties, through sheer grit, determination, and some excellent coaching, were able to overcome the odds and compete with places like Miami-Dade and Broward.  There was a tipping point where factors such as disappearing jobs, demographic changes and poverty caused the teeter totter to tip against their favor.  For instance, certain rural counties in FL have been overwhelmed by incoming minority populations that have taxed local resources.  St Johns has a Hispanic population of 5%.  Hardee has a Hispanic population of 43%.    

I share information related to demographics not to offend anyone.  There are social changes taking place now in Florida that are unprecedented and I feel certain they are impacting hs football in powerful ways.  Some are not happy with our current playoff structure.  If loaded teams AND socially-related changes are here to stay, telling some to try harder is not going to change much.

If some coaches have the luxury of fielding a team full of new transfers and think that is ethical, fine.  Those folks should compete in their own league.  I didn't use to feel this way, but educating myself about the changes that are taking place in Florida outside our little world of hs football has made me change my tune.  If something doesn't change the way we match up teams in classes, playoffs, etc,  I predict we will have even greater mismatches on the playing field in the future.

 

 

   

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

 

I provided facts earlier in the post demonstrating how American Heritage (PL), Chaminade, and Cardinal Gibbons made what in my opinion were astonishing strides in performance in short periods of time.  Please share what techniques (drills, coaching, etc) they used so that others might get ideas as to how to enjoy similar success.  

You mentioned that Ponte Vedra(St Johns County) figured it out pretty quickly and Venice(Sarasota County) took advantage.  Not to mention Bartram Trail(St Johns County).  Please look at the following chart. 

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/united-states/quick-facts/florida/percent-of-people-of-all-ages-in-poverty#chart

St Johns and Sarasota Counties are two of the wealthiest counties in the state.  Only 1 county has more people living below the poverty line than Hardee.  There are relatively few thriving, ranked teams amongst the poorest of counties.  I think it more than coincidence that schools in some of the wealthiest counties in the state are "figuring things out" quicker than poor counties.

We need to be sensitive to the fact that some kids and parents may have more to worry about than football...namely, what's for dinner tonight.  And kids in some rural counties struggling with substance abuse at very high rates.   It's not simply a matter of "trying harder" to make up for the disparities between their programs and some of the highly ranked programs.  I think it's unfair of us to assume that some programs have fallen off simply due to lack of effort on the practice field.

It is probably a fact that "loaded" teams are here to stay.  It is a fact that Florida has one of the highest income inequalities amongst its residents of any state in the country.  And it is probably a fact that this gap will continue to widen.  

My opinion...in the past, rural counties, through sheer grit, determination, and some excellent coaching, were able to overcome the odds and compete with places like Miami-Dade and Broward.  There was a tipping point where factors such as disappearing jobs, demographic changes and poverty caused the teeter totter to tip against their favor.  For instance, certain rural counties in FL have been overwhelmed by incoming minority populations that have taxed local resources.  St Johns has a Hispanic population of 5%.  Hardee has a Hispanic population of 43%.    

I share information related to demographics not to offend anyone.  There are social changes taking place now in Florida that are unprecedented and I feel certain they are impacting hs football in powerful ways.  Some are not happy with our current playoff structure.  If loaded teams AND socially-related changes are here to stay, telling some to try harder is not going to change much.

If some coaches have the luxury of fielding a team full of new transfers and think that is ethical, fine.  Those folks should compete in their own league.  I didn't use to feel this way, but educating myself about the changes that are taking place in Florida outside our little world of hs football has made me change my tune.  If something doesn't change in the way we match up teams,  I predict we will have even greater mismatches on the playing field in the future.

 

 

   

 

 

 

One of biggest issues in Lake City currently is 

 

1) the lack of things to do for the 14-24 type age group and as a result many move away to cities they perceive is better or they stay living here and will drive out of town just to have fun (Gainesville or Jacksonville)

 

2) the lack of high profile jobs opening up, currently the jobs opening up are not going to attract higher income people and is going to as a result limit the growth the city is making

 

Lake city has made some stupid ass decisions going back to early 1900s when they pushed UF out of town and they keep sabotaging any attempt to grow and now it's too late to fix it 

 

Gainesville should be thanking us every day because had we been smart they wouldn't be relevant today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..concerning comparisons of schools from smaller classes compared versus larger classifications.  Back in 1970, things were much different demographically.  It's potentially not apples -to-apples today when comparing populations  Here is an example.  

Hardee County is 43% Hispanic(37% Mexican). Madison County is 5% Hispanic.  

...according to school data

Hardee County has approximately 715 boys at the school.  Approximately 415 are of Hispanic descent.  So, there are approximately 300 non-Hispanic boys at the school.  Madison County has approximately 290 boys, and approximately 10 are of Hispanic descent.  So, there are approximately 280 non-Hispanic boys at the school.

I don't think I am going out on a limb(please correct me if I am wrong) in saying that there is likely a subset of the Hispanic populations, especially those in rural communities, that do not play football.  No doubt there are plenty that do.  

My point is simply that there is potential for much smaller schools to have a larger pool of football players from which to pull simply because of demographic differences.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, where do I begin?  The last thing I want to do is discuss small town politics that the rest of you would find very strange which currently face Hardee county.  Yes Hardee has a larger hispanic population and high poverty level. But there is also much wealth in the hands of a very few people.  Also the Hispanic population here is mostly Mexican and Central American as opposed to Cuban or Puerto Rican as in areas like Miami or Orlando.  Many of these families are migrant farm labor who come here in the late summer or early fall then leave in the spring. Its one reason HHS usually has the highest drop out rate in the state. Subtract the migrants and we are a class smaller than the class we play football in.  

But back to football: This discussion became an attack on my alma mater because I dare criticize how AHP became an overnight powerhouse when before they were just another "good" program.  In my opinion they are an equivalent to an 8A program in 5A.  

By the way BrowardHandicapper, Hardee has wins over Immokalee and Dunbar before and no where did I ever insinuate that AHP or any other SF program was holding us back. I just don't think it is right that a program get a lot of players transferring in without having to move up a class. Defeats the purpose of classification.  Also, and I have a lot of respect for Madison and Pahokee who we have never played before, but check Hardee's track record against other schools of that size and you will see we do just fine. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Below is a breakdown of 3-season, composite records of Broward County teams.  Only 1 of 29 public schools has been able to string together 3 straight winning seasons(more wins than losses).  7 out of 10 private schools have done so.  Some of the teams with composite “winning” records have experienced fairly drastic swings in performance.  Note information in parentheses.  For perspective, 6 of 36 Miami-Dade public schools have had 3 straight winning seasons.

It appears that certain teams outside south Florida are not the only ones impacted by the dynamics in Broward County.  Assuming this is a simply a matter of kids in Broward County wanting to go to private school, I don’t see any forces changing the trend.  The drastic change in performance of several of the teams suggest the possibility of something more than a “normal” rebuilding process.

Winning Records

*Teams with 3 straight winning seasons

Public:

Boyd Anderson 20-11

Cypress Bay 15-14

*Deerfield Beach 31-8

Dillard 18-15

Douglas 17-13

Flanagan 22-15 (1-10 in 2017, 9-3 in 2016)

Hallandale 17-16

McArthur 18-13 (1-9 in 2017, 11-1 in 2016)

Miramar 22-8

Piper 20-13 (1-9 in 2017, 9-2 in 2016)

Plantation 19-13 (9-2 in 2017, 2-8 in 2016)

West Broward 20-13

Western 22-12

 

Private:

*American Heritage 37-2

*Archbishop McCarthy 28-6

*Calvary Christian 21-10

Cardinal Gibbons 24-10

*Chaminade-Madonna 28-10

*North Broward Prep 23-10

Pine Crest 2012

*St Thomas Aquinas 38-6

*University 24-9

Westminster Academy 12-17 (1-9 in 2017, 5-4 in 2016)

 

Others

Coconut Creek 8-19

Cooper City 12-19

Coral Glades 9-20

Coral Springs 11-19

Ely 7-24

Everglades 9-24

Fort Lauderdale 11-18

Hollywood Hills 7-21

Monarch 11-17

Northeast 4-26

Nova 15-19

Pompano Beach 11-19

South Broward 12-18

South Plantation 7-25

Stranahan 12-22

Taravella 8-22

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

 

I provided facts earlier in the post demonstrating how American Heritage (PL), Chaminade, and Cardinal Gibbons made what in my opinion were astonishing strides in performance in short periods of time.  Please share what techniques (drills, coaching, etc) they used so that others might get ideas as to how to enjoy similar success.  

You mentioned that Ponte Vedra(St Johns County) figured it out pretty quickly and Venice(Sarasota County) took advantage.  Not to mention Bartram Trail(St Johns County).  Please look at the following chart. 

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/united-states/quick-facts/florida/percent-of-people-of-all-ages-in-poverty#chart

St Johns and Sarasota Counties are two of the wealthiest counties in the state.  Only 1 county has more people living below the poverty line than Hardee.  There are relatively few thriving, ranked teams amongst the poorest of counties.  I think it more than coincidence that schools in some of the wealthiest counties in the state are "figuring things out" quicker than poor counties.

We need to be sensitive to the fact that some kids and parents may have more to worry about than football...namely, what's for dinner tonight.  And kids in some rural counties struggling with substance abuse at very high rates.   It's not simply a matter of "trying harder" to make up for the disparities between their programs and some of the highly ranked programs.  I think it's unfair of us to assume that some programs have fallen off simply due to lack of effort on the practice field.

It is probably a fact that "loaded" teams are here to stay.  It is a fact that Florida has one of the highest income inequalities amongst its residents of any state in the country.  And it is probably a fact that this gap will continue to widen.  

My opinion...in the past, rural counties, through sheer grit, determination, and some excellent coaching, were able to overcome the odds and compete with places like Miami-Dade and Broward.  There was a tipping point where factors such as disappearing jobs, demographic changes and poverty caused the teeter totter to tip against their favor.  For instance, certain rural counties in FL have been overwhelmed by incoming minority populations that have taxed local resources.  St Johns has a Hispanic population of 5%.  Hardee has a Hispanic population of 43%.    

I share information related to demographics not to offend anyone.  There are social changes taking place now in Florida that are unprecedented and I feel certain they are impacting hs football in powerful ways.  Some are not happy with our current playoff structure.  If loaded teams AND socially-related changes are here to stay, telling some to try harder is not going to change much.

If some coaches have the luxury of fielding a team full of new transfers and think that is ethical, fine.  Those folks should compete in their own league.  I didn't use to feel this way, but educating myself about the changes that are taking place in Florida outside our little world of hs football has made me change my tune.  If something doesn't change the way we match up teams in classes, playoffs, etc,  I predict we will have even greater mismatches on the playing field in the future.

 

 

   

 

 

 

In the link, I  see some some very poor counties that are successful (Glades) and some wealthier counties that struggle (Monroe).  I cannot conclude much from this.  To me their are great teams from rich areas and their are great teams from poor areas.  I'm not just talking FL but nationwide.  There are also piss-poor inner-city teams and very strong rural teams.  I think you can make a argument for it any way you wish with data...I just don't have the energy to start breaking football down by demographics and race.  Again, I'm not denying your theory.

I also question the accuracy of this chart.  Seeing Wakulla and Broward "wealthier" then Palm Beach County raised my eyebrows.

I'm not going to get into the demographics or races and am not questioning your theory on that...I'm just not going to comment or get into it on this site. 

As to the comment on transfers, ethics etc...you have a opinion and other people have an opinion.  You both may believe you are right and can argue it both ways.  All that matters though is what the FHSAA states in the present.  The rest is only opinions and respectfully speaking-  irrelevant to what the present state is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Wow, where do I begin?  The last thing I want to do is discuss small town politics that the rest of you would find very strange which currently face Hardee county.  Yes Hardee has a larger hispanic population and high poverty level. But there is also much wealth in the hands of a very few people.  Also the Hispanic population here is mostly Mexican and Central American as opposed to Cuban or Puerto Rican as in areas like Miami or Orlando.  Many of these families are migrant farm labor who come here in the late summer or early fall then leave in the spring. Its one reason HHS usually has the highest drop out rate in the state. Subtract the migrants and we are a class smaller than the class we play football in.  

But back to football: This discussion became an attack on my alma mater because I dare criticize how AHP became an overnight powerhouse when before they were just another "good" program.  In my opinion they are an equivalent to an 8A program in 5A.  

By the way BrowardHandicapper, Hardee has wins over Immokalee and Dunbar before and no where did I ever insinuate that AHP or any other SF program was holding us back. I just don't think it is right that a program get a lot of players transferring in without having to move up a class. Defeats the purpose of classification.  Also, and I have a lot of respect for Madison and Pahokee who we have never played before, but check Hardee's track record against other schools of that size and you will see we do just fine. 

 

In 2009 Hardee (9-2) did indeed beat Immokalee (4-6).  In 2013 Hardee (11-2)  did beat Dunbar (5-6) as well.  I'm not aware of any other wins over those programs since the early 2000s,  but I may be wrong.

There are few 1A schools that are of the level of Madison or Pahokee on a consistent basis in the South Region of FL so I don't know if you even would want to mention who it was.  But I am curious now..... What 1A program has Hardee have a good track record with in recent years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Is Clewiston Glades County?

Clewiston is Hendry county, along with LeBelle

 

7 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

In 2009 Hardee (9-2) did indeed beat Immokalee (4-6).  In 2013 Hardee (11-2)  did beat Dunbar (5-6) as well.  I'm not aware of any other wins over those programs since the early 2000s,  but I may be wrong.

There are few 1A schools that are of the level of Madison or Pahokee on a consistent basis in the South Region of FL so I don't know if you even would want to mention who it was.  But I am curious now..... What 1A program has Hardee have a good track record with in recent years?

Well we play Fort Meade ever year and have since the 1920s. Its a big rivalry and usually the first game of the year. Hardee has won the last two, before that Fort Meade won 7 out of 8, and before that Hardee won 6 straight including beating them in 2004 when they were 1A state champs and also they were making it to state nearly every year back then.  

Another program has a strong track record with is Frostproof.  Don't play them every year though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

In the link, I  see some some very poor counties that are successful (Glades) and some wealthier counties that struggle (Monroe).  I cannot conclude much from this.  To me their are great teams from rich areas and their are great teams from poor areas.  I'm not just talking FL but nationwide.  There are also piss-poor inner-city teams and very strong rural teams.  I think you can make a argument for it any way you wish with data...I just don't have the energy to start breaking football down by demographics and race.  Again, I'm not denying your theory.

I also question the accuracy of this chart.  Seeing Wakulla and Broward "wealthier" then Palm Beach County raised my eyebrows.

I'm not going to get into the demographics or races and am not questioning your theory on that...I'm just not going to comment or get into it on this site. 

As to the comment on transfers, ethics etc...you have a opinion and other people have an opinion.  You both may believe you are right and can argue it both ways.  All that matters though is what the FHSAA states in the present.  The rest is only opinions and respectfully speaking-  irrelevant to what the present state is.

The message is simple.  There may be factors beyond X's and O's that impact performance.  And If I am going to be critical of someone or something, I owe it to them to do my best to understand their circumstances.  If you think Hardee  or any other program is struggling, how about some constructive feedback?  

I tease Flotech about Vero, but I have also shared some specific feedback based on facts.  I think people appreciate being offered solutions, not just problems.  You imply others need to try harder or figure things out rather than shaming success of certain successful programs, ie American Heritage,. 

How about some constructive feedback, BH?  You've been asked repeatedly what enabled these programs to find such great success so quickly.  I would like facts, not just opinions.  The facts I shared above concerning performance of Broward teams paints a picture that begs explanation.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 11:37 PM, Hwy17 said:

I don't doubt that smaller schools can a do beat larger schools. Hell, Hardee even plays and wins over larger schools. That doesn't mean we should have to do it every week.  And yes we have even beat teams that have won a state title in years we got knocked out of the playoffs. Example: 2004 over Fort Meade.  

Yes I get out and see Lakeland and Braden River on occasion.  

Hardee vs Dunbar game last year. Half time score was 17-7 Hardee leading. Midway through the 3rd I said to my son next to me, Dunbar is going to win. They are bringing an outside blitz and our coaches are not picking up on it.

If you are referred to 4a Cocoa being able to put a pounding on Baker county, you are probably right. But then again Cocoa is like AHP, a stacked team hanging out in a smaller class. 

Hardee would do fine against Madison or Pahokee.

How is Cocoa a stacked team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

How is Cocoa a stacked team?

KeemD321: Why do we have classes? Why do schools have to file a population report? Many years ago it was agreed that the larger the school, the larger the talent pool and schools should be divided into classes  based on size. This is not a new concept.  Been around for years and is practiced in every state. But now we have a free for all with transfers. I saw on this very message board that Cocoa had 13 transfers from other schools like Titusville and Space Coast. Using the law of averages, 1 athlete is the same as 50 non-athletes.  Cocoa's population was 1048 = 4a. But you got 13 transfers? That's like adding 650 kids to the school. Which means Cocoa is really a 6A .

I know this don't make me popular with people but that's how I see it. Nothing personal against Cocoa. Otherwise why bother having classification and doing a population report?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

KeemD321: Why do we have classes? Why do schools have to file a population report? Many years ago it was agreed that the larger the school, the larger the talent pool and schools should be divided into classes  based on size. This is not a new concept.  Been around for years and is practiced in every state. But now we have a free for all with transfers. I saw on this very message board that Cocoa had 13 transfers from other schools like Titusville and Space Coast. Using the law of averages, 1 athlete is the same as 50 non-athletes.  Cocoa's population was 1048 = 4a. But you got 13 transfers? That's like adding 650 kids to the school. Which means Cocoa is really a 6A .

I know this don't make me popular with people but that's how I see it. Nothing personal against Cocoa. Otherwise why bother having classification and doing a population report?  

Metros always get transfers anyway so I understand why a school like Cocoa would need transfers

 

The old system never and i mean NEVER punished metros who would most of the time end up with all the talent ending up at a few select high schools

 

People need to realize the only difference between the current transfer rules and previous rules is now rural schools can do what metros have done for years without consequences 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

KeemD321: Why do we have classes? Why do schools have to file a population report? Many years ago it was agreed that the larger the school, the larger the talent pool and schools should be divided into classes  based on size. This is not a new concept.  Been around for years and is practiced in every state. But now we have a free for all with transfers. I saw on this very message board that Cocoa had 13 transfers from other schools like Titusville and Space Coast. Using the law of averages, 1 athlete is the same as 50 non-athletes.  Cocoa's population was 1048 = 4a. But you got 13 transfers? That's like adding 650 kids to the school. Which means Cocoa is really a 6A .

I know this don't make me popular with people but that's how I see it. Nothing personal against Cocoa. Otherwise why bother having classification and doing a population report?  

I understand what you're saying but that was  2 seasons ago. The players from Space Coast very well could have been in Cocoa's school zone which space coast pulls from. Also a lot of the players that transferred into cocoa originally started at cocoa their freshmen years.Cocoa also had plenty of players transfer out as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Metros always get transfers anyway so I understand why a school like Cocoa would need transfers

 

The old system never and i mean NEVER punished metros who would most of the time end up with all the talent ending up at a few select high schools

 

People need to realize the only difference between the current transfer rules and previous rules is now rural schools can do what metros have done for years without consequences 

So what rural schools are benefiting from the new rule? How many transfers are leaving metro areas like Duval to go over to Nassau? Or Lee county over to Hendry? What I see is one or two schools in bigger counties getting the majority of the transfers and the rest losing there best players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

So what rural schools are benefiting from the new rule? How many transfers are leaving metro areas like Duval to go over to Nassau? Or Lee county over to Hendry? What I see is one or two schools in bigger counties getting the majority of the transfers and the rest losing there best players. 

And you act like this wasn't already happening 

 

Duval

Hillsborough 

Miami Dade 

Broward 

Palm Beach 

Orange 

Brevard

Leon

 

Hell even alachua

 

All these counties have had this happen where all the talent would pile up at a few schools, this was out of control before with the old rules but now it is under rules where a small county could pull talent from outside the county to build up rosters to compete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hwy17 said:

So what rural schools are benefiting from the new rule? How many transfers are leaving metro areas like Duval to go over to Nassau? Or Lee county over to Hendry? What I see is one or two schools in bigger counties getting the majority of the transfers and the rest losing there best players. 

Can you explain why and how  Immokalee's best player in RB Abraham Alce with multiple Power Five offers transferred from AHP to Immokalee for his Senior year?

 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/3490471/Abraham-Alce

 

 

It sounds like they are trying to build a All-Star team out there.  How can he go to a random public school like that?

I thought this was supposed to work the other way around.  Oh, wait a minute this is a small example of how a rural public school benefited from the new rule chage - Or is it not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Can you explain why and why Immokalee's best player in RB Abraham Alce with multiple Power Five offers transferred from AHP to Immokalee for his Senior year?

 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/3490471/Abraham-Alce

 

 

It sounds like they are trying to build a All-Star team out there.  How can he go to a random public school like that?

I thought this was supposed to work the other way around.  Oh, wait a minute this is a small example of how a rural public school benefited from the new rule chage - Or is it not? 

I was just about to mention that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Metros always get transfers anyway so I understand why a school like Cocoa would need transfers

 

The old system never and i mean NEVER punished metros who would most of the time end up with all the talent ending up at a few select high schools

 

People need to realize the only difference between the current transfer rules and previous rules is now rural schools can do what metros have done for years without consequences 

Oh schools never got punish for transfers before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...