Quiz-State Champion Who Beat the Odds

OldSchoolLion

When a team gives up 300+ passing yards in a state title game, they normally lose.  A few teams have beaten the odds, though, and won a state title despite giving up that many passing yards.

In fact, since 2000, one team has done it twice.  The teams they beat still haven't gotten over it, I'm sure!

Who is the team?

7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

When a team gives up 300+ passing yards in a state title game, they normally lose.  A few teams have beaten the odds, though, and won a state title despite giving up that many passing yards.

In fact, since 2000, one team has done it twice.  The teams they beat still haven't gotten over it, I'm sure!

Who is the team?

If memory serves me right Apopka gave up 300+ passing yards to Cypress Bay in 2012. In that game there were well over 1100 yards of combined total offense by both teams with Apopka over 600 yards.

I know they also gave up a bunch of passing yards to Columbus in 2014, but held them to negative rushing yards. Not sure if it was as much as 300, though. 

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If memory serves me right Apopka gave up 300+ passing yards to Cypress Bay in 2012. In that game there were well over 1100 yards of combined total offense by both teams with Apopka over 600 yards.

I know they also gave up a bunch of passing yards to Columbus in 2014, but held them to negative rushing yards. Not sure if it was as much as 300, though. 

That's probably who it is I got it backwards Palm Bay is the team known for the lowest points scored or something like that 

20 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

Is it

Lincoln

Palm Bay 

Tallahassee Lincoln has done it once.  Dan Shula of St Thomas Aquinas, grandson of famous Dolphins coach Don Shula, lit up Lincoln for over 300 passing yards in the 2001 4A title game, but Lincoln had enough offense of their own to win 28-20. 

..not Palm Bay

23 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Apopka gave up a bunch of passing yards in both games...but not 300.  Their game against Cypress Bay broke the state series record for most yards by 2 teams in a game.  Jaranta Lewis, the qb for Cypress Bay, went on to play for Northern Michigan U.  Tucker Beirne, a record-setting qb at Columbus, went to the U of Miami, where he got into trouble with the law.

1 hour ago, 561_Fan said:

Ocala Trinity Catholic? Pahokee's Robert Love threw for 500+ (or close to it) in a regulation loss. Even though Pahokee went on the beat them 2 more times. I thing University School threw for over 300 on them in a loss as well.

That was going to be my guess. Robert love had like 500 yards passing that day, and Cooke from U school had at least 400. I think that game went to 3 OT

59 minutes ago, 561_Fan said:

Ocala Trinity Catholic? Pahokee's Robert Love threw for 500+ (or close to it) in a regulation loss. Even though Pahokee went on the beat them 2 more times. I thing University School threw for over 300 on them in a loss as well.

Robert Love of Pahokee was 23/37 and set an individual state final record with 502 passing yards against Ocala Trinity Catholic in the 2005 2B title game, but Trinity pulled out a 37-30 win despite giving up nearly 4 times as many yards on offense.  Love threw 4 TD passes of 50 yards or longer, including 3 in a furious third quarter comeback that started with Pahokee down 30-7.  Martavious Odoms caught 9 passes for 188 yards and Tamarcus Porter caught 8 passes for 169 yards.  Only a handful of receivers in history have ever had more than 150 receiving yards in a title game.   Robert Love went to Florida A&M, but ran into problems.

Douglas Cook of University School set a state final record with 43 completions in 61 attempts for 430 passing yards(second highest yardage in state final history behind Love) against Ocala Trinity Catholic in the 2010 2B final, but Trinity pulled out a 56-55 3OT winNick Kutscher set a state final record with 14 receptions for 134 yards and Daniel Braverman had 10 receptions for 94 yards.  University only gained 38 yards on the ground in 30 attempts.  Douglas went on to play at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania.

So, the answer is Ocala Trinity Catholic.  Great job 561!

In other games...

Godby beat Immokalee 21-20 in the 5A 2012 final despite a 301-yard passing performance by Tshumbi Johnson, who went on to play at the U of Cincinnati and Valdosta St.

American Heritage Delray beat North FL Christian 31-28 in the 1A 2007 final despite a 307-yard passing performance by Clink Trickett, who went on to play at FSU and West Virginia U and now coaches at FAU.