Former HS Star Killed Near Palm Bay High

OldSchoolLion

The former Palm Bay High student killed in a shooting at the Sunoco gas station across the street from the school today was a promising football player that had attracted interest from several major schools before he graduated.

Twonnie Pollard, 21, played linebacker and running back for the Pirates from 2013 to his graduation in 2016. A standout player, he was scouted his senior year by several Division I schools and entertained offers from at least seven programs.

He signed with the Iowa Western Community College Reivers in Feburary 2016.

Pollard was known as a explosive ball-carrier, but gained the most attention on defense for his speed and ferocious hits. He was named All-Space Coast Defense and All-District Defense for the 2014-15 season.

...some additional information.  

The shooting was reported at 2:21 a.m. Friday in the parking lot of the Sunoco gas station at 4000 S. Babcock Street.  Ibrahim Dural was working the register at the 24-hour station, located across from Palm Bay Magnet High School, when 15-20 shots rang out.  He said there were three or four customers inside at the time of the shooting.  The gunfire erupted minutes after the customers walked outside, Dural said.  The station also was the scene of two 2017 shootings — in February and March.   Police said Pollard and the suspect likely knew each other.  They are investigating a series of altercations that took place before Friday's shooting.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Oh, they tried we just looked bad. Looks like a big drop off this year. We have a 4 QBs battling for a starting position and our OLine lost quite a bit. Defense was suspect against a scrambling QB all night. We need a lot of work if we want to survive this schedule we have coming up. If you asked me right now, I'm thinking 7-4 season on the way.
    • My new team, South Lake  H. C. Brad Lord took a very heavy underclassmen squad into Foundation Academy,  which personally as a H.C, im 0-2, beat them convincingly 49-14. We only had 36 offensive plays. Q. B. Trey Kelly Rising Sophomore went 7-9, 1 dropped and 1 blocked, 212 yds and 2 Td's, The running backs rushed for 202yds 3 TD's  in only 27 carries. Where my old school Poinciana lost to Horizon 20-30. Poinciana only had 33 players on the official roster ( all time low, I had over 60). Cameron  Brown Had a great game throwing for 2 TD's and ! rushing TD, (great effort) IMHO Horizon , while being a great program, was down from last year, Also include that 32 didnt play in the first half. (he drove the ball right down the field in his first possession in the 3rd 1/4 and they scored ( not to take away from the efforts of their other running backs, they will be a force to be reckoned with. Horizon is not as good as they were last year (up front only). I am sure the coaches will make corrections and become way better in the fall. At the end of the day, PHS, still needs discipline on defense (too many stupid penalties) and a direction to work for.  Yes, I am being super critical, after spending 10 years trying to fix that program, what they (administration) did hurts. Not the new HC. fault, In fact I try to help him any way I can. PHS looks like a team led by a first year head coach who hasnt found his way yet. I truly hope they do. the HC is a great guy, just young and needs a lot of help understanding the ins and outs of HS football.    Im not hating,  (for the PHS head coach). I just want to see this different direction we are looking for!
    • You may be right Observer but it didn't look that way to me.  And I am not a Verot fan.  FM Green Wave only but support all the Lee County athletes despite the school they attend 
    • Yep, this is a pretty surprising result. I assume the Explorers tried like BV and SR tried, although I assume "the narrative" will be that Columbus was the only team that didn't try  
  • Popular Contributors