10 Interesting Facts about St Thomas Aquinas

OldSchoolLion

STA has had only one losing season in the past 50 years (4-6 in 1989).  Amazing!  

Over the past 50 years, Deerfield Beach has more wins against STA than any other team (12 wins). 

Over the past 50 years, Lakeland is the only team outside of Broward County to beat St Thomas Aquinas more than 3 times (1996, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006).  And Key West is the only team from outside of Broward County to beat STA twice during the regular season (1977 and 1979). 

Over the past 50 years, Chaminade is the only team from Broward County that has won more games than they have lost against STA (6 wins-4 losses).  Turns out they also gave STA its worst defeat, a 53-7 victory in 1968. The last time these two teams played was in 1981, with STA returning the favor in a 71-7 win over Chaminade.

Over the past 50 years, STA is 24-7 versus Palm Beach County teams. 5 teams from Palm Beach County have beaten STA during this time frame: Boca Raton, Dwyer, Glades Central, Lake Worth, Suncoast.  Glades Central and Dwyer are the only teams to beat STA twice.  All of those victories came in playoff games (GC 1979 and 1980, Dwyer 2011 and 2013).  

Over the past 50 years, STA is 14-4 versus Miami-Dade teams in playoff games.  

Over the past 50 years, 5 teams from Miami-Dade have beaten STA: Archbishop Curley, Booker T Washington, Edison, Homestead, South Dade.  Homestead is the only team to beat STA twice, both times in playoff games in 1982 and 1984.

Over the past 50 years, STA has played 6 public schools from Miami-Dade during the regular season (Sunset-1978, Edison-1979, Homestead-1983, Columbus-2012, Northwestern-2013, Booker T Washington-2001, 2002, 2015, 2016.  

The following past state champions from Miami-Dade have never played STA in a regular season or playoff game: Carol City, Central, Killian, Southridge.

Since 2008, STA has played more out-of-state teams than teams from Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties combined.  STA has played 13 OOS teams since 2008.  They have played 2 Palm Beach teams and 8 Miami-Dade teams during that same time frame(these stats include regular season and playoff games). 

Not sure why but I’ve always been a fan of STA. Just feel like they carry the state torch well in out of state games with their discipline and talent.

That said, this was one of the major WOW moments over the years for me... was nice to see them go down to a non-big-name school...The Cooper City upset

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/2011/11/cooper-city-gets-biggest-win-in-40-years-upsets-aquinas-21-16.html

13 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Not sure why but I’ve always been a fan of STA. Just feel like they carry the state torch well in out of state games with their discipline and talent.

That said, this was one of the major WOW moments over the years for me... was nice to see them go down to a non-big-name school...The Cooper City upset

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/2011/11/cooper-city-gets-biggest-win-in-40-years-upsets-aquinas-21-16.html

I wish a upset like that would happen every year to STA 

25 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

Man I'm a huge fan of STA alot of y'all are jealous of them

What happened to Vero Beach man,  even if i moved away from Lake City i wouldn't suddenly start repping someone else, I'm type of person who would take pride in showing up to a game even if Columbia isn't playing and i would be fully in tiger stuff

Hell even if i got a job at a different high school in FL i will always be Columbia first bc that is my home, hell i have too much pride

I would never agree to live in Gainesville just because i couldn't share the same zip code as my rival

Look at @"PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE)

He moved out of state but it is easy to tell his heart still lies with Dillard 

Alma mater should always come first in support 

35 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

Man I'm a huge fan of STA alot of y'all are jealous of them

And i used to actually pull for Aquinas

But i will never pull for the same team as that ***** Los

I would take pleasure in them never winning another state championship just so he can remain a failure for the rest of his life 

13 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And i used to actually pull for Aquinas

But i will never pull for the same team as that ***** Los

I would take pleasure in them never winning another state championship just so he can remain a failure for the rest of his life 

What STA does doesn't determine if Los is a failure or not.  Get over him already.  You and your fatal attraction for IMG and Los is comical.

20 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

The 21-0 loss at Piper in 1996 was a shocker, too.  They were 8-2 that year, but got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs...while Aquinas made it to the state finals.

19 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Great movie!

They are coming out with a sequel.  A young man from Lake City gets involved with a young lady from Gainesville who graduated from St Thomas Aquinas and whose brother goes to IMG.  After a steamy weekend, he decides he cannot see her any longer...but she has other plans.:)

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

They are coming out with a sequel.  A young man from Lake City gets involved with a young lady from Gainesville who graduated from St Thomas Aquinas and whose brother goes to IMG.  After a steamy weekend, he decides he cannot see her any longer...but she has other plans.:)

:D!

...another interesting fact.  ST Thomas Aquinas has only lost 5 playoff games at Brian Piccolo Stadium since it opened in 1975.  The last time they lost was in 2003, when Miami Edison beat them 32-14.  The other 4 teams to beat STA there in a playoff game were Key West(1977), Glades Central(1980), Dillard(1986), and Lakeland(1988).  So, STA has only lost one home playoff game in the past 30 years!  The last team to come close was Ely, who lost a 13-12 nailbiter in 2007.