QB Report for Top Teams

OldSchoolLion

Please fill us in with names/progress reports on projected starters.  Have listed players I can think of on the recruiting radar.  Quite a few starters graduated.  Am interested which teams could be helped/hurt at this position.  

American Heritage/Plantation ?????

Apopka Jack Darlington/Jecoryan Davis Hamilton-see descriptions in post below

Armwood ?????

Atlantic ?????

Braden River-Bryan Gagg     3-star/E Carolina

Cardinal Gibbons-Nik Scalzo     3-star/Kentucky

Carol City-Daniel Richardson     3-star

Chaminade-Madonna-Daelen Menard     started last year-talented qb

Cocoa ?????

Columbus ?????

Deerfield Beach ?????

Dr Phillips-Brenden Cyr     transferred from West Orange; saw playing time last season

Dwyer-Gio Richardson     transferred from Oxbridge Academy; 3-star/FAU

Hillsborough-Charlie Dean     transferred from Plant; 3-star/UCF

Lakeland-Dywonski McWilliams     transferred from George Jenkins; seasoned starter-see description in post below

Miami Central-Maurice Underwood     3-star/Marshall

Northwestern-Isaiah Velez     3-star

Osceola ?????

Palm Beach Central  ?????

Plant ?????

Raines ?????

St Augustine ?????

St Thomas Aquinas-Curt Casteel     3-star/Harvard; Mariano Valenti/3-star   N Illinois

Seminole-Timmy McClain     started last year

Southridge-Jaylin Willis ?????

Venice-Hayden Wulff     3-star/Old Dominion

Wekiva-Sean Robles      transferred from Apopka-talented QB

To start the season, Apopka will have two different guys sharing the QB duties (if you can call it that). Both are rising Juniors. 

1. Jackson Darlington - Son of the HBC, Jack has been on the Varsity team since his freshman year when he debuted as a WR/TE. Last year, as a junior, in addition to WR/TE, he was also lining up in the QB role (really at FB in Apopka's single wing, but you get the point). Jackson is not as mobile as his brother Zack was. However, he is not immobile either. He is over 6 ft tall (probably in the 6 ft 1 to 6 ft 2 range (he could have grow further over the summer) and looks the part physically.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8258124/Jackson-Darlington

2. Jecoryan Davis Hamilton - Jecoryan debuted on the Varsity team in the spring of 2017 against Orange City University as a running back and in that game racked up three touchdown runs of at least 60 yards on his way to over 400 all purpose yards. So good was his performance in that game, that University of Miami which had come to see their star running back recruit in action (Lorenzo Lingard), made Davis Hamilton an offer within the next week. Last year he played primarily as a running back (tailback in the single wing offense), but also receiver and took some direct snaps during the course of the season. Physically, his build is fairly similar to Jackon, so in that sense he, too, looks like a QB.

Both guys have decent if not great arms and are able to move the ball on the ground some. In the case of Davis Hamilton, while he does not seem especially fast with the ball in his hands, this is deceptive due to his rather smooth running style.  

http://www.hudl.com/profile/9357229/Jecoryan-DavisHamilton

Although you don't list them in your list, Seminole High in Sanford should have a very solid, experienced but young team returning. It will feature Timmy McClain, who played his youth football in the Apopka system. Timmy, as a true Freshman was the signal caller for the Seminoles, and racked up impressive numbers as a freshman QB. Timmy was tall and lanky for a freshman and threw a very good  intermediate ball last year. A southpaw, this kid has great upside potential and could have a breakout season this year. 

I have linked some of his highlights below:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/9802347/Timmy-McClain

For Lakeland it is Dywonski McWilliams. He was a 3 year starter at George Jenkins before tranferring to Lakeland this season. Very athletic kid and will give Lakeland the QB option they haven't had with the primarily passing QB's they've had the past 3 years.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5676225/Dywonski-McWilliams

50 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

For Lakeland it is Dywonski McWilliams. He was a 3 year starter at George Jenkins before tranferring to Lakeland this season. Very athletic kid and will give Lakeland the QB option they haven't had with the primarily passing QB's they've had the past 3 years.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5676225/Dywonski-McWilliams

I feel badly for Jenkins.  Last year was their first winning season in many years and maybe an opportunity for the program to gain some additional momentum this year and turn the corner.  If he was their team leader, or one of them, it will no doubt hurt them to lose him.

I spoke in another post about how talent seems to be consolidating into fewer teams.  No doubt Lakeland has always been an attractive draw for kids in Polk County, but I wonder if there is even more pull in the past with today's college recruiting environment. 

Speaking in general terms, so many mediocre programs out there might have 1 outstanding player/leader in any one year, and if they are constantly losing them to the big name school(s) in the area, it will make it difficult for them to ever be competitive.

Cocoa,

Caziah Holmes played QB a lot last season and showed lots of talent. I'm sure he will be taking a lot of snaps as a duel threat QB in pass rush heavy games.

Ryan Thomas transferred in(?), I believe from Matanzas. From the grapevine I have heard very good things about him. Probably the starter, but not sure. I have not looked into his past seasons yet, but he is looking for a QB job and a scholarship.  

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/ryan-thomas/JoaQjl9AEea-8KA2nzwbTA/videos.htm

Lakoto Wojciechowski, Soph is getting a lot of praise from the QB camps. Good passer and quick on the reads. Should develop into a top QB in the next few seasons.  I have high hopes for Lakoto for the future and I believe Coach Schneider will be a good coach for him. Probably will see him most when the game is a wrap.

12 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Cocoa,

Caziah Holmes played QB a lot last season and showed lots of talent. I'm sure he will be taking a lot of snaps as a duel threat QB in pass rush heavy games.

Ryan Thomas transferred in(?), I believe from Matanzas. From the grapevine I have heard very good things about him. Probably the starter, but not sure. I have not looked into his past seasons yet, but he is looking for a QB job and a scholarship.

Lakoto Wojciechowski, Soph is getting a lot of praise from the QB camps. Good passer and quick on the reads. Should develop into a top QB in the next few seasons.  I have high hopes for Lakoto for the future and I believe Coach Schneider will be a good coach for him. Probably will see him most when the game is a wrap.

Not that Cocoa needs a great passer:)  158 passing yards total in the last 5 title games.  But with that running game, a guy with an arm could really burn a defense on occasion.

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Not that Cocoa needs a great passer:)  158 passing yards total in the last 5 title games.  But with that running game, a guy with an arm could really burn a defense on occasion.

Yes, I totally agree about burning teams with a good passer complimenting a very good running game.

hah, posted his Maxpreps video as an after thought. You beat me to it. 

19 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Cocoa,

Is Lakota still at Cocoa? Rumor was he transferred back to Astronaut?

caziah played corner all last year

heard that Cocoa also got QB from Vero and that he would be starter.

My mistake. It was Willie that played at QB when Judson went out. Thanks for the correction.

Do you see Willie taking any snaps this year or will Thomas take over at QB? I know Wilks liked having a duel threat at QB. Not sure about Schneider, but have heard that he likes a good passing game.

Lakoto is still listed on the roster. If Lakoto transferred back to Astro then we lost a good one.

46 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Dr. Phillips, Brenden Cyr, Junior, 6’5, 205. Started the first half of last season for West Orange as a sophomore. 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7814325/Cyr-Brenden

Canaan Mobley, a sophomore, is also in the mix. He is more of a dual threat amd scored in the spring game.

If he is the guy I saw in the Spring game, I was more impressed with him than with Mobley at the QB position. If willing to play, I would actually have both on the field at the same time, with Mobley playing a different position. Not saying I would want that to be a permanent move, but rather one to take advantage of Mobley's athleticism to start the season while starting the better QB at the same time. 

As the season progressed, I would make adjustments if warranted.