Dwyer's path to the state finals in 2000

Floridatech

In 1999, a sixth class was added and a number of teams left 5A and went to 4A...St Thomas Aquinas, Escambia, Pine Forest, Southeast(they actually dropped from 6A, where they were a finalist in 1998), Fort Myers(played STA in 5A second round in 1998), Estero(5A finalist in 1998), Merritt Island.

In 1999, STA played Escambia in the 4A final and in 2000, STA played Pine Forest in the 4A final.  STA was a 5A finalist in 1996 and 1997.  Those changes in 1999 opened up 5A and made easier playoff paths for some teams. 

There are numerous examples of something like this happening over the years, whereby a bunch of teams shifted from one class to another and substantially weakened the class they left.

54 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

Palm Bay won states that year too so u can't knock em

Like in 5A, around 1999 a number of teams moved from 6A, including Columbia(to 5A-demolished Palm Bay in 6A playoffs in 1997), Southeast(to 4A-Southeast knocked Palm Bay out of 6A playoffs in 1998), Niceville(to 4A), Pensacola(to 4A).  Lincoln dropped from 6A to 4A in 2001.  

From 1999-2002, Palm Bay had great success in 6A.  In 2003, there was another addition of a class and Palm Bay went to 5A.  As soon as they did, their success declined.  

Palm Bay might not have had the same level of success had the changes mentioned above not taken place.

18 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Like in 5A, around 1999 a number of teams moved from 6A, including Columbia(to 5A-demolished Palm Bay in 6A playoffs in 1997), Southeast(to 4A-Southeast knocked Palm Bay out of 6A playoffs in 1998), Niceville(to 4A), Pensacola(to 4A).  Lincoln dropped from 6A to 4A in 2001.  

From 1999-2002, Palm Bay had great success in 6A.  In 2003, there was another addition of a class and Palm Bay went to 5A.  As soon as they did, their success declined.  

Palm Bay might not have had the same level of success had the changes mentioned above not taken place.

Fun fact tho:

Palm Bay

Lincoln 

Dwyer

Pahokee 

Palm Beach Gardens 

Venice 

All were at States in the early and mid 2000s.....Vero has claimed victories against these teams in spring koc and regular season games, all they have to do now is beat Venice and they got em all

1 minute ago, Floridatech said:

Fun fact tho:

Palm Bay

Lincoln 

Dwyer

Pahokee 

Venice 

All were at States in the early and mid 2000s.....Vero has claimed victories against these teams in spring koc and regular season games, all they have to do now is beat Venice and they got em all

Spring games don't count in my world:)   but impressive nonetheless

I think Pahokee had a 2 or 3 game winning streak versus Vero before last season..I remember them beating Vero (once in Vero and once in PK) back to back with the Z. Matta and the Jackson lineman that went to Tennessee..they weren't this passing team they are now 

10 minutes ago, 561_Fan said:

I think Pahokee had a 2 or 3 game winning streak versus Vero before last season..I remember them beating Vero (once in Vero and once in PK) back to back with the Z. Matta and the Jackson lineman that went to Tennessee..they weren't this passing team they are now 

They were a running team then by they were good tho and Vero had a preseason game win over y'all in 2004

6 hours ago, Floridatech said:

On the way to the state finals Dwyer beat some good football teams......

Beat Melbourne 35-28

Beat Mainland 37-7

Beat Osceola 38-17

Beat Tate 35-23

But lost to Venice 77-14 in the finals 

The better team won the title. But the final result was not an accurate reflection of the difference between the two in my opinion. Dwyer melted down after Venice scored in succession early in the game and the floodgates opened. 

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Panhandle wasn't as bad back then as it is now 

The panhandle had great FLHS football back in the 80's and 90's. Rutherford was straight up dominant for a few years. This was back when public schools ruled the big school classifications. Even the small schools like Baker(Baker School not Baker County HS) was dominant. I even think the former head coach at Baker is considered a legend in the panhandle. 

11 minutes ago, Just A Coach said:

The panhandle had great FLHS football back in the 80's and 90's. Rutherford was straight up dominant for a few years. This was back when public schools ruled the big school classifications. Even the small schools like Baker(Baker School not Baker County HS) was dominant. I even think the former head coach at Baker is considered a legend in the panhandle. 

In the big class 4A/5A, between 1975-1989 Panhandle teams were 12-0 versus central Florida teams in the state semis. 

5 minutes ago, Just A Coach said:

Wow....Lion how in the world do you get this info so fast? Man you are on point every time. Your 10 minutes of fame posts are unreal. Great stuff

Glad you like those, Coach.  I hope there are some players and coaches out there from those teams who know we have not forgotten them..even those who never brought home a state title.   

10 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Glad you like those, Coach.  I hope there are some players and coaches out there from those teams who know we have not forgotten them..even those who never brought home a state title.   

Those coaches are fighting a culture of mediocracy and feelings of insignificance that most can not even comprehend. The ones that can turn that culture around are truly amazing. This goes way beyond football.They are changing lives and should be recognized to the fullest. 

21 hours ago, Floridatech said:

On the way to the state finals Dwyer beat some good football teams......

Beat Melbourne 35-28

Beat Mainland 37-7

Beat Osceola 38-17

Beat Tate 35-23

But lost to Venice 77-14 in the finals 

Dwyer QB Danny Embick was a super high school athlete. He punted, played safety and could run and throw. The Venice beat down surprised me. Their two D-1 running backs (Salt and Pepper) were unstoppable.