Wekiva vs North Gwinnett

OldSchoolLion

Wekiva’s best chance is for their defense to give their offense short fields and capitalize on turnovers. Jones actually has a very good defense so that accounts for a bit of the 17 that Wekiva put up last week. 

Hopefully Wekiva can pull out the W, I’m rooting for them.

In the case of DP-Lee — sorry to get off topic — Lee County is the real deal. They shut out defending 3A runner up Peach County last night, 33-0. Peach County hadn’t been shut out since 2007. The Trojans have allowed 55 total yards (-70 rushing yards) in their first three games.

9 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Wekiva only scored 17 versus Jones last week .  Will 17 be enough to beat North Gwinnett?  I don't think so.  Something must be in the air in Georgia, because our big guns are struggling on offense....Deerfield Beach, American Heritage, Chaminade-Madonna, and Dr Phillips last week.

Wekiva will struggle against any team with a solid defense. It's not that their offense is bad, it is not. But it's not championship caliber either. The strength of Wekiva is their defense. If their defense does not get put in terrible field position situations several times during the game, it has a chance of holding most strong high school offenses to two scores or less. The key against North Gwennett, is for them not to bet put behind the eight ball too often. If they can accomplish this, they have a shot at winning a close game. If they cannot, the NG is an easy winner. 

2 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

In the case of DP-Lee — Lee County is the real deal. They shut out defending 3A runner up Peach County last night, 33-0. Peach County hadn’t been shut out since 2007. The Trojans have allowed 55 total yards (-70 rushing yards) in their first three games.

Wow, shutting out Peach County is huge.  Those boys can put up the points.    I know them from the 1990's.  No shame for Dr P.  

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Quick strike...long TD pass for North Gwinnett.  Wekiva let their guard down.  Wekiva has ball on 20 after kickoff.  

Wekiva 14 North Gwinnett 7   1:23 left in half

This is kind of what I thought we might get. Wekiva may not have much playoff or travel experience, but they have a nasty defense and a veteran coaching staff to compensate. Win or lose, at least they have made a great first half of it. Pipe is correct. Wekiva makes offenses look pedestrian. 

Wekiva 14 North Gwinnett 7   Halftime

NG had 3 turnovers in first half.  Wekiva defense playing great but lost some focus at the end of the half.  Hopefully that long pass woke them up.  Wekiva is stuffing the run.  NG qb is not spectacular but he can throw the ball and has burned Wekiva on a couple of long pass plays.  NG defense is pretty stingy, making Wekiva's offense work.  NG very fortunate to only be down by 7.

Refs letting the kids play unlike earlier games.  

39 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Wow... within two weeks the folks in Atlanta get the Corky Kell Classic (featuring many of the top teams in Georgia), the Freedom Bowl , and Gwinnett Versus the World(Deerfield vs Buford and Grayson vs Bergen Catholic((NJ)).

And what does FL get...the Disney games!:blink: 

l

I said before in another thread up to 4 ideas that could give the sunshine state a event

Nice win by Wekiva.  Wekiva's offense was on field about 21 minutes in second half...all ground and pound.  Wekiva has a tough running back and O-line that overpowered the NG defense.  NG had 4 turnovers, but even so, the better team won.  NG was a bit disappointing.  If they were state champs last year, they must have lost a lot.  None of their individual players really stood out.  I thought Milton was a much better team on both sides of the ball.

...Wekiva's liabilities.  Not a team built to come back if they fall behind.  Though their offense got the job done, they are not explosive.  I don't recall any long runs.  And their qb missed a number of wide open receivers that cost them a couple of TD's.  North Gwinnett's defense must have been utterly exhausted in the second half, and Wekiva could not put them away until the end.  Although North Gwinnet's defense was not bad, I feel certain Wekiva will face a much better one at some point.  Wekiva definitely has some good some athletes on offense.