Jump to content

  • Announcements

    • Joshua Wilson

      Rules of the Forums   09/02/2017

      Please be sure to read the rules of the forums. This is only to help all of us have a good time and we want to keep this board as fun as possible. 
    • SportsNut25

      Talking Other Sports   11/08/2017

      For those interested in talking about other sports, you can talk about them here. 
Sign in to follow this  
OldSchoolLion

Some Love for Booker T and the Bulls

Recommended Posts

The Bulls and the Tornadoes lost their big games this weekend against Central and Carol City, but put up a fight.  

Northwestern is 3-5 and has lost to IMG, Carol City, Central, Columbus and South Dade.   

Washington is 4-5 and has lost to Carol City, Central, Columbus, Chaminade-Madonna, and Northwestern. 

Let's be real.  If some of the current top 25 teams in Florida played the same schedules, they might very well have losing records right now.  At the very least, they would have some more losses. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The Bulls and the Tornadoes lost their big games this weekend against Central and Carol City, but put up a fight.  

Northwestern is 3-5 and has lost to IMG, Carol City, Central, Columbus and South Dade.   

Washington is 4-5 and has lost to Carol City, Central, Columbus, Chaminade-Madonna, and Northwestern. 

Let's be real.  If some of the current top 25 teams in Florida played the same schedules, they might very well have losing records right now.  At the very least, they would have some more losses. 

 

 

This is a great point! These two teams are always traditional powers. In a lot of cases the south Florida powers are forced to play each other since very few teams are willing to play them.  There's also a lot of historic and traditional rivalries between these schools.

Looking at the current top 25 MP teams, I would agree; however, Northwestern despite the record is a top 25 team. Washington probably is a top 40 team in all reality. This isn't the Booker T. team of years past, but they're still really awesome. When you go through a gauntlet of Coral Gables, Chaminade-Madonna and Carol City you should be given some slack for going 1-2 against that bunch. Not many others would do better unless they were IMG caliber athletically.






 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

This is a great point! These two teams are always traditional powers. In a lot of cases the south Florida powers are forced to play each other since very few teams are willing to play them.  There's also a lot of historic and traditional rivalries between these schools.

Looking at the current top 25 MP teams, I would agree; however, Northwestern despite the record is a top 25 team. Washington probably is a top 40 team in all reality. This isn't the Booker T. team of years past, but they're still really awesome. When you go through a gauntlet of Coral Gables, Chaminade-Madonna and Carol City you should be given some slack for going 1-2 against that bunch. Not many others would do better unless they were IMG caliber athletically.






 

BTW just went head-to-head with Carol City for 3 quarters.    BTW beat a very good Southridge team that traveled to ranked Rockledge and won.  BTW beat a very good Coral Gables team and came within one TD each of Columbus and Chaminade.    

I think they would even give certain Top 10 teams all they could handle at this time, ie Columbia and Vero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt, I agree with you. Booker T. is playing excellent football despite their record.  I would love to see Booker T. play some of the powers outside of Miami. I'm excited at the potential Uschool vs Booker T. game.  I don't think Uschool has played the toughest schedule, but they' run teams off the field. Booker T. has played a super tough schedule, but they'll be prepared for battle in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

No doubt, I agree with you. Booker T. is playing excellent football despite their record.  I would love to see Booker T. play some of the powers outside of Miami. I'm excited at the potential Uschool vs Booker T. game.  I don't think Uschool has played the toughest schedule, but they' run teams off the field. Booker T. has played a super tough schedule, but they'll be prepared for battle in the playoffs.

Nowadays we don't see many games like Southridge vs Rockledge.  For me, that was an intriguing matchup...a "good" south FL team vs a "good" central FL team.  

Not that I would want to see the polls completely filled with teams from south FL, but until certain teams from north and central FL, or even certain teams from Broward and Palm Beach, prove on the field they can play with the Miami-Dade schools, I would not bet against a team like BTW in a head-to-head matchup, regardless of who they are playing from north or central FL(except IMG, of course).

This year, Palmetto, Southridge and Coral Gables are all sleepers.  These teams would give fits to some of the better teams outside Miami-Dade.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that all of a sudden people out there feel you have to be playing teams 7 hours away to prove you better when people also stated before that they teams used to prove themselves without needing to play elite out of area teams

 

 

Both could make a reasonable argument  for one or the other but when its the same person making a argument  for both ways I see that as playing both sides of the field and not truly staying consistent and unbiased

 

Just food for thought 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

BTW just went head-to-head with Carol City for 3 quarters.    BTW beat a very good Southridge team that traveled to ranked Rockledge and won.  BTW beat a very good Coral Gables team and came within one TD each of Columbus and Chaminade.    

I think they would even give certain Top 10 teams all they could handle at this time, ie Columbia and Vero.

I think both teams would be too much for Vero 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you as well I was shocked to be honest when Dillard was up on Booker t 6-0 for a little more then half the first quarter and for it to be only 12-6 tornadoes with 3 min left in the second quarter before they scored to lead 20-6 at half ....not to make this about Dillard @SPCjessica2004 @OldSchoolLion @ColumbiaHighFan2017class but for them to go toe to toe with Booker t for a half then turn around and go to WESTERN the same team who went up 20-0 on them at Dillard and won to turn around this year and go to Western against a wildcats squad as good or even better then last year and basically have their way with them if it wasn't for the 6 touchdowns called back on Dillard with two of those being in the last two min of the game. Since then Western has NOT lost since and in that spand Western has beaten a quietly very solid hallandale squad who gave gibbons all they could handle and then some at gibbons then they beat undefeated plantation just last week. Even tho Dillard will not win a title this year or even make it pass the second round probably not even first depending on who we get but we are certainly becoming a dangerous team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...concerning polls and rankings.

In the dinosaur days, there were fewer classes, large districts,and teams scheduled non-district games without worrying nearly as much about reputations, polls and playoff rankings. Today, the scheduling is like a ballet.

I think there was arguably a better chance than today that the best teams would run into each other at some point.   When one won a 4A title in the 70's, that was a huge deal,and some felt that the 4A champion was kinda the uncrowned champion of Florida.   Today we have the best larger-school programs spread out amongst 4 classes.  It's just the nature of the beast.

I struggle taking today's polls very seriously for a couple of reasons. In more recent years, we have teams in close proximity that seldom, if ever, play each other, ie Lakeland vs Armwood, St Thomas vs Dade powers, etc.  And we have playoff paths in some classes that are ridiculously easy and in which the best teams from certain parts of the state do not meet always meet up with the best from other parts of the state. It's the "cost" of our current systems.

Today we are so externally focused as both individuals and organizations.  "Am I good-looking?" "Am I thin enough?" "Is my team ranked high enough in the polls?"  We seem to need constant affirmation.  A good coach knows how to assess his team's progress without a lot of external cues, and to find satisfaction in knowing "we are better than yesterday."  I find the same philosophy works well in all aspects of life.  I can look myself in the mirror and easily see my own flaws and opportunities for improvement without comparing myself to you. 

It's not the end of the world if certain teams never meet up and prove superiority.  It's all about improvement, especially at the hs level.  Could the Bulls and Tornadoes beat a number of teams ranked higher than them?  Who cares!  What is important is that the kids feel good about themselves, not what other people think.    

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

No doubt, I agree with you. Booker T. is playing excellent football despite their record.  I would love to see Booker T. play some of the powers outside of Miami. I'm excited at the potential Uschool vs Booker T. game.  I don't think Uschool has played the toughest schedule, but they' run teams off the field. Booker T. has played a super tough schedule, but they'll be prepared for battle in the playoffs.

Chill with that Uschool vs BTW match up lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polls and rankings can be distracting and misleading. Lots of rankings go off what a select group of coaches/writers think and often miss many less known teams that are a level above teams ranked higher.

Just cause someone thinks a team is number 1 doesn't mean they are.

The only poll that really matters is the one at the end of the season when the championship is played. A Class 8A Champion doesn't always mean they are better than a Class 5A champion. I've seen some special 1A teams that could give 8A teams fits and win many of the games they played. Off hand Pahokee and Madison County come to mind. Don't believe it, just look at their past history's.

justsayin...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×