The Dropoff of HS Football in Polk County

OldSchoolLion

Years ago, Polk County was thought by many to be one of the strongest counties in the state for high school football.  My, how things have changed.  Although a few teams still do well, the vast majority have struggled mightily of late.  What has happened in Polk County?  I have my thoughts, but would like to hear what others have to say.

Auburndale - Between 1985-2000, advanced past the first round of the playoffs 7 times; has won one playoff game since

Bartow - Between 1977-2006, Bartow made the playoffs 18 years and won 25 playoff games, including 3 state titles(1977, 1985, 1996).  Over the past 9 years, Bartow has won only 32 games.  Their last winning season was in 2009 and this past season Bartow finished 0-10 and was outscored by opponents 468-70.  

Fort Meade - 32 playoff wins between 2000-2010; have advanced past first round only once since

George Jenkins - 0 playoff wins since opening in 1993

Frostproof - 17 playoff wins between 1990-2000; have advanced past first round only 3 times since

Haines City - Haines City won 9 playoff games in the 90's and made a title game appearance in 1991.  The Hornets were 5-33 over the past 4 seasons and have not won a playoff game since 2000.

Lake Gibson - 21 playoff wins between 2000-2010; have advance past first round only once since

Lake Region - 0 playoff wins since opening in 1995; 8-42 over the past 5 years

Mulberry - 14-30 over the past 5 years

Ridge - 2 playoff wins since opening in 2005

Santa Fe Catholic -  0 playoff wins in past 20 years

Tenoroc - 0 playoff wins since opening in 2008

25 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Um, I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate it's because all the really good players in Polk County all end up at Lakeland. 

Lakeland has won only one region title in the past 8 years.  Had the Naughts not won the title this year, it would be even more obvious how "off" Lakeland has been of late, at least by typical Lakleland standards.  So, if all of the talent in Polk County has been going to Lakeland this decade, it doesn't exactly say that much for talent as a whole in Polk County relative to past years, when Polk County might have multiple state title contenders. 

I think there are some other things at play here.

7 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Years ago, Polk County was thought by many to be one of the strongest counties in the state for high school football.  My, how things have changed.  Although a few teams still do well, the vast majority have struggled mightily of late.  What has happened in Polk County?  I have my thoughts, but would like to hear what others have to say.

Auburndale - Between 1985-2000, advanced past the first round of the playoffs 7 times; has won one playoff game since

Bartow - Between 1977-2006, Bartow made the playoffs 18 years and won 25 playoff games, including 3 state titles(1977, 1985, 1996).  Over the past 9 years, Bartow has won only 32 games.  Their last winning season was in 2009 and this past season Bartow finished 0-10 and was outscored by opponents 468-70.  

Fort Meade - 32 playoff wins between 2000-2010; have advanced past first round only once since

George Jenkins - 0 playoff wins since opening in 1993

Frostproof - 17 playoff wins between 1990-2000; have advanced past first round only 3 times since

Haines City - Haines City won 9 playoff games in the 90's and made a title game appearance in 1991.  The Hornets were 5-33 over the past 4 seasons and have not won a playoff game since 2000.

Lake Gibson - 21 playoff wins between 2000-2010; have advance past first round only once since

Lake Region - 0 playoff wins since opening in 1995; 8-42 over the past 5 years

Mulberry - 14-30 over the past 5 years

Ridge - 2 playoff wins since opening in 2005

Santa Fe Catholic -  0 playoff wins in past 20 years

Tenoroc - 0 playoff wins since opening in 2008

You left Lake Wales and Winter Haven off the list.

Some of those schools; Lake Region for example, can't keep a coach more that a year or two.  

In the mid-2000's Polk county school board faced some serious budget challenges.  The PCSB adopted a policy of not allowing schools to travel more than 50 miles outside the county and coaches took some big pay cuts.  

3 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

You left Lake Wales and Winter Haven off the list.

Some of those schools; Lake Region for example, can't keep a coach more that a year or two.  

In the mid-2000's Polk county school board faced some serious budget challenges.  The PCSB adopted a policy of not allowing schools to travel more than 50 miles outside the county and coaches took some big pay cuts.  

I didn't include Lakeland, Kathleen, Lake Wales and Winter Haven in the list because they have done reasonably well and been somewhat consistent of late relative to the past  

13 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I didn't include Lakeland, Kathleen, Lake Wales and Winter Haven in the list because they have done reasonably well and been somewhat consistent of late relative to the past  

I think Winter Haven was hurt by getting moved up to 7a.  I felt they would have won or at least made it to the finals had they remained in 6a.  At least they got moved over to a new district for 2019, one I think they will consistently win.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:21 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

What do those four schools have in common? - Stability at head coach!

2 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

1. You have Lakeland confused with Plant.

2. You're a clown act.

3. All of the above.

https://twitter.com/CountyPolk

Um, I could be wrong, but I don't recall any of the 'really good players in Polk County' ending up at Plant . . . at least none in the last ten years.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  B)

On 4/23/2019 at 11:41 AM, LakelandGator said:

1. You have Lakeland confused with Plant.

2. You're a clown act.

3. All of the above.

https://twitter.com/CountyPolk

This is the dumbest post i've ever read. Please just stop. Lakeland recruits everybody. That's why when they won the state championship, you heard about it for about two days, then nobody in the county said anything else about it, because nobody respected them because they had 13-14 starters that were recruited there from other schools in the area. 

4 hours ago, NewEraFball said:

This is the dumbest post i've ever read. Please just stop. Lakeland recruits everybody. That's why when they won the state championship, you heard about it for about two days, then nobody in the county said anything else about it, because nobody respected them because they had 13-14 starters that were recruited there from other schools in the area. 

Please list those 13-14 starters that were recruited.