Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Joshua Wilson

      Rules of the Forums   09/02/2017

      Please be sure to read the rules of the forums. This is only to help all of us have a good time and we want to keep this board as fun as possible. 
    • SportsNut25

      Talking Other Sports   11/08/2017

      For those interested in talking about other sports, you can talk about them here. 
Sign in to follow this  
OldSchoolLion

Who Is This Legendary FL HS Player? Xavier Lee/Seabreeze

Recommended Posts


No doubt the most well-known hs QB from Volusia County.  Back in the early 2000s, Xavier Lee held Florida records for career completions (549), yards (9,083) and touchdown passes (98). The dual-threat QB, who played at Seabreeze, earned numerous honors, including Mr. Football as a senior and a spot in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in 2004.

Lee was a disappointment at FSU.  He redshirted as a freshman, and threw only 302 passes over three seasons for the Seminoles. Lee bounced in and out of the lineup, completed only 51.4 percent of his passes, and was benched in favor of Drew Weatherford in 2007. The following year, he left the the program.  Lee played for a number of years in the Arena Football League.  

Upon last check, Lee was living in Omaha, Nebraska, and working as an enterprise account manager for Hewlett-Packard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I am glad he landed on his feet even though his football career did not pan out. 

Seriously though you’d love for everyone to succeed at a higher level in sports, but it’s unrealistic. This is a good example for kids to not just succeed on the field but in the class to so they can have a career outside of football to fall back on, no matter how good they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xavier Lee was a monster in high school. He could throw the football 80 Yards. His primary target was Eric Weems, a NFL player up until 2018.  But his high school success was also greatly enhanced by the system he played under. Coach Marc Beach (Spruce Creek grad) brought the Spread Offense to Daytona Beach in the late 1990's. He had played DB at Valdosta State and stayed on as a grad assistant under offensive wiz, Head Coach Hal Mumme. Greats Lavell Edwards, and Rich Rodriquez are generally credited as the architects of this passing system. With four spread wideouts, five counting the RB, opposing DB's were lost as he checked down looking 1,2,3,4,5 on who was open. It wasn't until years later that the defenses caught up. Pressure in the QB's face doesn't give him time to check down past the 1st or 2nd option. Forget about the 3,4,5, QB is on his a$$. At the time if Mainland had that system, with it's athletes, they'd have won several more championships. Beach has been the OC at Tift County(Ga) for several years now ($$$). I played ball with Xavier's dad Willie "Foot's" Lee at Bethune-Cookman. Tried to post a photo of us together, but my computer skills are bad!!!       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan, Seabreeze was running the four receiver-no tight end "spread" offense long before Marc Beach became the head coach. Rocky Yocum brought that offense to the Sandcrabs in the 1980's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Dan, Seabreeze was running the four receiver-no tight end "spread" offense long before Marc Beach became the head coach. Rocky Yocum brought that offense to the Sandcrabs in the 1980's.

They had a shotgun spread before Beach (don't remember 4 WR's sideline to sideline play after play) with Qb's Andre Roan and Pa'tel Troutman. Both were more dangerous as runners then passers. But I don't believe Yocum's system (outside of a special limited package) was the same. Even when he went to Spruce Creek and was successful, it was still a run first offense (fundamental roots brought from Oklahoma) . Beach's is a pass first go through a progression system.  It came from Mumme early 90's Valdosta State. I'm open to a refreshing of my fading memory. Go for it Jam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just so there's no misunderstanding Jam, IMO Rocky Yocum and Bud Asher, hands down are the best coaches to ever lead a Volusia county football team in my lifetime.  Edit: Gerald Odom (Merritt island, NSB,Cocoa) also needs to be in the conversation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

They had a shotgun spread before Beach (don't remember 4 WR's sideline to sideline play after play) with Qb's Andre Roan and Pa'tel Troutman. Both were more dangerous as runners then passers. But I don't believe Yocum's system (outside of a special limited package) was the same. Even when he went to Spruce Creek and was successful, it was still a run first offense (fundamental roots brought from Oklahoma) . Beach's is a pass first go through a progression system.  It came from Mumme early 90's Valdosta State. I'm open to a refreshing of my fading memory. Go for it Jam

Dan, Seabreeze used a four receiver-no tight end formation under Rocky Yocum. It might not have been the "spread" offense per se, but it was very close. When Coach Yocum got to Spruce Creek, the Hawks were a more multiple formation, motion, and shifts team that ran the ball more due to the personnel, (they were coming off of back-to back 0-10 seasons)  and the fact that Jermaine Green was one of the RBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Dan, Seabreeze used a four receiver-no tight end formation under Rocky Yocum. It might not have been the "spread" offense per se, but it was very close. When Coach Yocum got to Spruce Creek, the Hawks were a more multiple formation, motion, and shifts team that ran the ball more due to the personnel, (they were coming off of back-to back 0-10 seasons)  and the fact that Jermaine Green was one of the RBs.

I couldn't remember the RB's name (Jermaine Green). Big, super fast track guy (built like a tank) who went out to the northwest (Washington?). Came home (dropped by the NFL), had a meltdown (with a female), got shot (police) and went to prison. What a waste....sad.  FOUND THE VIDEO :

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×