Who Is This Famous Coach? JD Jones/Wakulla

OldSchoolLion

4 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Hmm, Cox had more than 2 title game appearances and the only time he appeared in back-to-back title games, he won one ('74) and lost one ('75).   This adds a new wrinkle.  He may have had multiple title appearances and may have won one or more titles, but only appeared back-to-back once.   At least that's how I'm interpreting the responses to the selections. 

The coach I have in mind had back-to-back state title game appearances.  Those may or may not have been his team's only title game appearances.  And it says nothing of whether he won those games, lost those games, or split them.  Take the statement concerning title appearances at face value.,

I can name coaches who have: 

won more than 200 games;

coached one school for over 25 years;

appeared in back-to-back title games;

careers cover 4 decades;

have a stadium named after them.

But all 5 requirements?  I'm stumped.  Obviously they didn't coach in my part of the state. 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

OK, how about J.D. Jones, Wakulla.  Back-to-back titles in 1980 and 1981. 

Final answer.   :D

JD Jones was head coach at Wakulla High in Wakulla County, south of Tallahassee, for 29 seasons(1977-2005).  During that tenure, his teams won 219 games and appeared in the playoffs in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's.  He won back-to-back 2A state titles in 1980 and 1981.  The win in 1981 came against another guy someone mentioned in this post, Al Morrell of Clewiston.  He also had a team finish 2A runner-up in 1978.  The War Eagles named their stadium after him in 2007.

75362147_10216117159581230_1647785823975768064_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=o-18_nT7HnQAX_PNVyo&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=f1464d98348191a2b3b91529164b3eb9&oe=5EED744D

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The coach I have in mind had back-to-back state title game appearances.  Those may or may not have been his team's only title game appearances.  And it says nothing of whether he won those games, lost those games, or split them.  Take the statement concerning title appearances at face value.,

Rod Shafer, Lake Wales High School. 

Coach Jones had some great teams during the Suwannee era of 4 state championships in a row.  The only problem was they were in the district with Suwannee and only the district champion made the playoffs.  In one of the games Suwannee was ahead 13 - 7.  Wakulla drove down late in the game and ran play action.  The TE was absolutely wide open in the end zone...he dropped the td pass that would have probably won them the game.  Suwannee took over late inside their 10 and on 3rd and long ran a hitch to Matt Friar.  He broke a tackle at the line of scrimmage and was off to the races.....just like that the game was over and Suwannee cruised to a state champtionship.

The following year Wakulla led 7 - 6 deep into the 4th quarter when once again Matt Friar made some key plays to get Suwannee into the end zone to go up 13 - 7.  Wakulla was trying to drive late and had a pick 6 which gave Suwannee the 20 - 7 win.  Once again, Suwannee cruised to another state championship.  Matt Friar was a great player.

This is why I love more than just the district champions making the playoffs.  Coach Jones had some very good teams that narrowly missed the playoffs.  These teams could have made strong runs in the playoffs.

When he won back to back state championships the games were played on teams home fields.  Two years in a row Wakulla had to travel.  They went to Clermont the first year and to Clewiston the following year to win state championships on their home fields.  That was two very long bus rides...and impressive wins!