Quantcast
Jump to content

Who Is This Famous Coach? Bob Hudson/East Lake


Recommended Posts


Dwyer in 2013 is the right answer.   But two years before that, East Lake suffered another heartbreaking overtime loss in a playoff game.  On a cool, foggy night in 2011, East Lake lost 28-21 in OT at home to Plant in the State Regional Finals.   Plant then went on to beat Fletcher (26-7) and Miramar (31-20) to claim the first 8A state title.  In hindsight, the two best teams in 8A that year were Plant and East Lake. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Perspective said:

Dwyer in 2013 is the right answer.   But two years before that, East Lake suffered another heartbreaking overtime loss in a playoff game.  On a cool, foggy night in 2011, East Lake lost 28-21 in OT at home to Plant in the State Regional Finals.   Plant then went on to beat Fletcher (26-7) and Miramar (31-20) to claim the first 8A state title.  In hindsight, the two best teams in 8A that year were Plant and East Lake. 

They lost 4 games that year and barely beat a 5 loss team in the first round but sure 9 years later we can say they were the second best team on that one night they almost beat Plant :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, badbird said:

They lost 4 games that year and barely beat a 5 loss team in the first round but sure 9 years later we can say they were the second best team on that one night they almost beat Plant :D

Point well taken.   I based my comment purely on the in-person eye-test:  how they played the one night I saw them compared to how the two other teams played the nights they played Plant.  But, again, your point is well taken. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, skyway said:

Bob Hudson, East Lake. Lost in OT to Dwyer in 2013.

It is Bob Hudson, who has spent the last 17 seasons at East Lake in Pasco County.  During that tenure, he won 123 games and appeared in 2 state semifinals (2013 and 2014).  That 2014 loss was heartbreaker in OT versus Dwyer.  His teams appeared in 5 regional finals this past decade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 5:51 PM, Perspective said:

Point well taken.   I based my comment purely on the in-person eye-test:  how they played the one night I saw them compared to how the two other teams played the nights they played Plant.  But, again, your point is well taken. 

Football is definitely a hard game to figure out.  That's why so many people disagree on rankings.  Teams match ups are important.  Also you never know how a 15-18 year old kid is going to react on each Friday night.  East Lake obviously played really well that night almost beating the future state champs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 9:34 AM, Perspective said:

Dwyer in 2013 is the right answer.   But two years before that, East Lake suffered another heartbreaking overtime loss in a playoff game.  On a cool, foggy night in 2011, East Lake lost 28-21 in OT at home to Plant in the State Regional Finals.   Plant then went on to beat Fletcher (26-7) and Miramar (31-20) to claim the first 8A state title.  In hindsight, the two best teams in 8A that year were Plant and East Lake. 

Nah man that hurt but the Dwyer loss was IT East Lake with 5 division 1 power 5 players would have won a state title vs Niceville just as easy as Dwyer did.  It unfortunately was horrible coaching decisions in OT IMO that cost them the game..... 

I made some disparaging remarks regarding it that were public that I think coach has held a grudge on since. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, peezy28 said:

Nah man that hurt but the Dwyer loss was IT East Lake with 5 division 1 power 5 players would have won a state title vs Niceville just as easy as Dwyer did.  It unfortunately was horrible coaching decisions in OT IMO that cost them the game..... 

I made some disparaging remarks regarding it that were public that I think coach has held a grudge on since. 

It shouldn't have been Niceville but we would have also lost to Dwyer.  I think we had a shot vs East Lake

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2020 at 3:24 PM, badbird said:

It shouldn't have been Niceville but we would have also lost to Dwyer.  I think we had a shot vs East Lake

Osceola, yeah they would have beat East Lake likely.  Tough nosed teams typically have an edge on the likes of them.  But they would have beat East Lake even with the coaches son at QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...