What is the role of the athletic director

Beek

I am trying to gather some information. In a public high school. What is the role of the athletic director? Is the athletic director supposed to make all the decisions?  Is the athletic director supposed to advocate for your program? Is the athletic director supposed to look for any way he/she can to disqualify a participant? Make up new rules to hinder the athletic programs so they align with the Athletic directors plan or morals? I understand that some athletic directors are teachers. some are coaches and some could be administrators. But what is their purpose and role? should they do everything they can to help the schools programs?  advocate for their programs above others? Anything else that people can add please let me know!  

13 hours ago, Beek said:

I am trying to gather some information. In a public high school. What is the role of the athletic director? Is the athletic director supposed to make all the decisions?  Is the athletic director supposed to advocate for your program? Is the athletic director supposed to look for any way he/she can to disqualify a participant? Make up new rules to hinder the athletic programs so they align with the Athletic directors plan or morals? I understand that some athletic directors are teachers. some are coaches and some could be administrators. But what is their purpose and role? should they do everything they can to help the schools programs?  advocate for their programs above others? Anything else that people can add please let me know!  

The role of an athletic director is different from county to county.  Some have more power and some have no power.  In my county they teach 5 out of 7 periods so they have very little time during the day to do athletic director stuff.  With that said here is what I think an athletic director should do.

1. Make sure the events run smoothly - bus, ticket takers, refs etc are handled by the athletic director 

2.  Rules and Policies - make sure players are eligible and cleared.  Make sure coaches are adhering to policies.  If a sport gets fined it looks bad on the AD.  AD's job is to keep the school from getting fined or try to.

3. Support - be there for the coaches and players if they need you.  Do every thing you can to help them.

15 hours ago, Beek said:

A good Athletic Director will handle all of the things that coaches don't typically deal with (as was said: busses/ticket takers/refs, eligibility questions, support the programs on campus, etc.). The Coach also has a responsibility to communicate effectively with their AD and, likewise, the AD needs to communicate effectively with his or her coaches. Should questions arise, it is on both of you guys to come up with the best solution for your players. That solution may look different school-to-school or county-to-county. At the end of the day, your job is to lead your team within the parameters set by AD/Admin. If there's a specific issue, you should have a close enough relationship to speak about it without stepping on each other's toes.

11 hours ago, badbird said:

The role of an athletic director is different from county to county.  Some have more power and some have no power.  In my county they teach 5 out of 7 periods so they have very little time during the day to do athletic director stuff.  With that said here is what I think an athletic director should do.

1. Make sure the events run smoothly - bus, ticket takers, refs etc are handled by the athletic director 

2.  Rules and Policies - make sure players are eligible and cleared.  Make sure coaches are adhering to policies.  If a sport gets fined it looks bad on the AD.  AD's job is to keep the school from getting fined or try to.

3. Support - be there for the coaches and players if they need you.  Do every thing you can to help them.

One of the most critical roles for an Athletic Director is to make sure that the game officials are taken care of and have a safe entry and exit from the school, facility. After all, no game can be started or completed without game officials!  

44 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

One of the most critical roles for an Athletic Director is to make sure that the game officials are taken care of and have a safe entry and exit from the school, facility. After all, no game can be started or completed without game officials!  

And maybe deny entry to those we scratch.:D

5 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

And maybe deny entry to those we scratch.:D

Just got home from our regional semi-final with Wellington which we won in a nail biter.  I made the previous comment as there was an officiating crew working that all needed to be scratched.  They called zero fouls against them the entire second half while putting them in the bonus against our team early in the 4th.  It worked against them as they trailed late and had to resort to fouling in the last 2 minutes of the game to gain possession committing or calling 7 of them in a minute and a half.  Clarifying my comment in the event someone ask for clarification. :D

10 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Who cares what happens to them after the game.  They usually suck anyway.  Except Charles Baumann.  He's the best in Central Florida.  

JK Jambun I protect our officials after I curse them out for sucking

14 hours ago, badbird said:

Who cares what happens to them after the game.  They usually suck anyway.  Except Charles Baumann.  He's the best in Central Florida.  

JK Jambun I protect our officials after I curse them out for sucking

The only thing that you say to the officials is how great a privilege it is for them to officiate at your school, and how much that you respect and admire them! You acknowledge what a great skill that they have as you are sad that they leave school property!  

25 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

The only thing that you say to the officials is how great a privilege it is for them to officiate at your school, and how much that you respect and admire them! You acknowledge what a great skill that they have as you are sad that they leave school property!  

I profess immense repsect for officials at all levels; their job is certainly not easy and often thankless because fans tend to only berate them when they feel a call was incorrect and hurts their team. Not much is said otherwise. There, I said it Jambun, without vomiting. All I ask for in return is a little heart on my comment. Fair trade? :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I profess immense repsect for officials at all levels; their job is certainly not easy and often thankless because fans tend to only berate them when they feel a call was incorrect and hurts their team. Not much is said otherwise. There, I said it Jambun, without vomiting. All I ask for in return is a little heart on my comment. Fair trade? :rolleyes:

Yes, that was the first time that I have ever used one of those icons, but I gave you a heart. Another observation about officials that I have noticed is that they tend to be very good looking, better looking than non-officials it seems.  

41 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Yes, that was the first time that I have ever used one of those icons, but I gave you a heart. Another observation about officials that I have noticed is that they tend to be very good looking, better looking than non-officials it seems.  

Thank you, Jambun. Although I was being slightly facetious, I want you to know that I was being sincere when I stated that I have immense respect for sports officials at all levels. You guys do a phenomenal job at ensuring games are played fairly and cleanly, and unfortunately for such minuscule pay. Furthermore, although I may not always agree with the direction in which some penalties are called, I recognize that officials are humans, too, and we all makes mistakes; it is certain that none of us are perfect. So, in short, thank you for continuously making football games at the high school level a pleasure for me to attend and watch, even though sometimes your penalty calls break my no-swearing habit! :P

48 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Thank you, Jambun. Although I was being slightly facetious, I want you to know that I was being sincere when I stated that I have immense respect for sports officials at all levels. You guys do a phenomenal job at ensuring games are played fairly and cleanly, and unfortunately for such minuscule pay. Furthermore, although I may not always agree with the direction in which some penalties are called, I recognize that officials are humans, too, and we all makes mistakes; it is certain that none of us are perfect. So, in short, thank you for continuously making football games at the high school level a pleasure for me to attend and watch, even though sometimes your penalty calls break my no-swearing habit! :P

Last season according to calpreps.com  madison would be top 5 in class 1A through 6A. Top 10 in 7A and 8A, going off ratings base on schedule.  So yeah stop sleeping on madison.  

22 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I have some friends who officiated Venice when the Indians came up to Central Florida in the Covid 2020 year, and they all stated that John Peacock was very nice and professional. Of course, I didn't hurt that the game was a running clock very early on!  

1 hour ago, Jambun82 said:

I have some friends who officiated Venice when the Indians came up to Central Florida in the Covid 2020 year, and they all stated that John Peacock was very nice and professional. Of course, I didn't hurt that the game was a running clock very early on!  

I would have loved to go to that game. I just had to be cautious in regards to Covid because I live with people who are  very high-risk for serious ill effects, or even death if caught. I appreciate your kind words, though. Officiating too often is a thankless job. And yes, I guess officials are better-looking than non-officials but you've never met me! LOL.  I appreciate you all more than you know! :wub: 

On 2/25/2022 at 9:51 PM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I would have loved to go to that game. I just had to be cautious in regards to Covid because I live with people who are  very high-risk for serious ill effects, or even death if caught. I appreciate your kind words, though. Officiating too often is a thankless job. And yes, I guess officials are better-looking than non-officials but you've never met me! LOL.  I appreciate you all more than you know! :wub: 

Thank you. I really don't know if officials are really better looking than non-officials. It is just that every woman that I met seems to think that.