Nice article on resurgent Plant

181pl

https://news.scorebooklive.com/florida/2022/10/19/plant-panthers-gunning-for-first-district-championship-since-2018

i’m not expecting a deep playoff run, but getting a win would be a good start. pretty good schemed defense and a productive offense. They do lack size on both lines but they tend to make up for it with smart play and not being too far out of position at any one time. This won’t hold up against the better teams if they get into round 3, but it’s worked for them pretty well so far this year.

Plant beating up on Steinbrenner really caught my attention.  Steinbrenner beat Armwood just a couple weeks ago so they're a really good team playing a tough schedule.  Playoff run will depend upon who is in the local bracket and the most powerful tampa bay teams are not at 4M level.  The playoff run ends as soon as you hit the Orlando 4M teams but that should be round 3 I believe?

19 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

Plant beating up on Steinbrenner really caught my attention.  Steinbrenner beat Armwood just a couple weeks ago so they're a really good team playing a tough schedule.  Playoff run will depend upon who is in the local bracket and the most powerful tampa bay teams are not at 4M level.  The playoff run ends as soon as you hit the Orlando 4M teams but that should be round 3 I believe?

Looks like Plant's region will include the likes of Ocoee, East Lake, West Orange, Sumner, Durant, Olympia, Steinbrenner, Alonso (who Plant plays this Friday for the District title) and Dr. Phillips.  Those teams, along with Plant, are currently the top 10 teams out of 4M Region 2 (Districts 5, 6,7 and 8).   So, two of those teams won't make it.   Newsome, Riverview and PHU are currently on the outside looking in and will need a lot of help to crack the top 8. 

Region 1 has Seminole, Apopka and Winter Park, all of whom are ranked higher than Ocoee, the top ranked team in Region 2. 

5 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Looks like Plant's region will include the likes of Ocoee, East Lake, West Orange, Sumner, Durant, Olympia, Steinbrenner, Alonso (who Plant plays this Friday for the District title) and Dr. Phillips.  Those teams, along with Plant, are currently the top 10 teams out of 4M Region 2 (Districts 5, 6,7 and 8).   So, two of those teams won't make it.   Newsome, Riverview and PHU are currently on the outside looking in and will need a lot of help to crack the top 8. 

Region 1 has Seminole, Apopka and Winter Park, all of whom are ranked higher than Ocoee, the top ranked team in Region 2. 

In that Region 1 group, Ocoee has already defeated Winter Park and lost a tight one to Apopka 13-12.  They probably do deserve the #1 ranking in their region and will be a tough out. 

40 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

Very true. Used to be a relief playing Orlando teams in the mid rounds back in the Plant heyday because they didn’t have too many problems with  Orlando teams back then. But times have certainly changed.

5 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Very true. Used to be a relief playing Orlando teams in the mid rounds back in the Plant heyday because they didn’t have too many problems with  Orlando teams back then. But times have certainly changed.

Um, not entirely true -- depending, I guess, on when you start and stop the "Plant heyday".   Personally, I think the heyday continued up until 2018, but certainly until 2016 when they made it to the state finals.  However, after winning the state championship in 2011, Plant proceeded to lose playoff games to Dr. Phillips (2012), Apopka (2013) and Dr. Phillips again (2014).   Of course, it didn't help that Plant was one of the smallest schools in 8A, often playing schools with double their student population. 

That said, you are certainly correct when you say that times have changed. 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Um, not entirely true -- depending, I guess, on when you start and stop the "Plant heyday".   Personally, I think the heyday continued up until 2018, but certainly until 2016 when they made it to the state finals.  However, after winning the state championship in 2011, Plant proceeded to lose playoff games to Dr. Phillips (2012), Apopka (2013) and Dr. Phillips again (2014).   Of course, it didn't help that Plant was one of the smallest schools in 8A, often playing schools with double their student population. 

That said, you are certainly correct when you say that times have changed. 

I guess the real heyday was 2006 to 2011, but PHS was still “very good” until 2018. 

2011- Plant 54 Boone 20

Plant 49 dr p 14

2012- Plant 48 Orlando Freedom 31

Dr P 24 Plant 7

2013- Plant 42 Boone 3

Plant 24 Dr P 23

rd 4 Apopka 45 Plant 29

2014 Plant 29 Boone 7

Dr P 24 Plant 10

2015- 7a dnp Orlando area schools

2016- Plant 35 Viera 7 in 3rd rd

2017- Plant 43 East River 0