Sunlake coaching issues

Perspective

I tried to do a copy and paste of this article from the Tampa Bay Times, but site wouldn't let me:   https://www.tampabay.com/sports/high-schools/2023/05/04/sunlake-altercation-football-bj-hall-steve-hegarty/

Bottom line, things got a little heated last Monday at practice when one Sunlake High assistant coach attacked another assistant coach - in front of all the players! 

10 hours ago, Perspective said:

I tried to do a copy and paste of this article from the Tampa Bay Times, but site wouldn't let me:   https://www.tampabay.com/sports/high-schools/2023/05/04/sunlake-altercation-football-bj-hall-steve-hegarty/

Bottom line, things got a little heated last Monday at practice when one Sunlake High assistant coach attacked another assistant coach - in front of all the players! 

Please do not paste other articles into the forums. Articles are not free for taking, especially when they are behind a paywall. Link sharing is fine. 

As for this topic, there is a fine line here, and the title is going to be edited. I am not for even having this be a discussion on here, but I don't want to stop you all from discussing but I am not going to partake on this. If this gets out of hand, I am shutting it down. No questions asked. 

• Joshua Wilson changed the title to Sunlake coaching issues
10 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Please do not paste other articles into the forums. Articles are not free for taking, especially when they are behind a paywall. Link sharing is fine. 

As for this topic, there is a fine line here, and the title is going to be edited. I am not for even having this be a discussion on here, but I don't want to stop you all from discussing but I am not going to partake on this. If this gets out of hand, I am shutting it down. No questions asked. 

Josh, I understand why you edited the title.  My bad on that.  That said, it's not like Sunlake is a state powerhouse.  My guess is that half the folks on here don't even know in which part of the state the school is located.  And, truth be told, I wouldn't expect there to be much discussion about the actual events that took place there; it's not like someone can defend the actions of the defensive coach.  

However, I do think it's healthy for folks who follow high school football to know about these things when they happen and to be able to talk about coaches 'crossing the line,' especially in front of players.  Coaches that drop by this Forum from time-to-time absolutely have to know that there is no place whatsoever for that kind of behavior.  Like it or not, those coaches are models and father figures for many of the kids playing high school football and their conduct, on and off the field, needs to reflect their status.  Simply put, it's one of the responsibilities that coaches assume when they strap the whistle around their neck. 

4 hours ago, PinellasFB said:

Sunlake is a nice school in a newly developed and very nice area and has potential in the long run but man I had no idea how dysfunctional they are currently.  Feel bad for any kids that had to see that.

The Sunlake new school “shine” has kind  of worn off now. They have been around for 10+ years now. I believe they are maxed out, so if any new neighborhoods pop up, they will just build another school. 

2 hours ago, WindsorCT said:

The Sunlake new school “shine” has kind  of worn off now. They have been around for 10+ years now. I believe they are maxed out, so if any new neighborhoods pop up, they will just build another school. 

Starkey Ranch is gonna have to create a high school to relieve Sunlake and River Ridge. They already built a K-8, so now it’s time for a HS. 

What’s crazy is before last year a slew of Land O Lakes players and some coaches transferred to Sunlake. Everyone thought it was gonna be a role reversal. But it was the opposite. LOL went 9-1 in the regular season and Sunlake went 1-9. Too funny to all the players and coaches who transferred. I guess karma caught up with them. 

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Starkey Ranch is gonna have to create a high school to relieve Sunlake and River Ridge. They already built a K-8, so now it’s time for a HS. 

What’s crazy is before last year a slew of Land O Lakes players and some coaches transferred to Sunlake. Everyone thought it was gonna be a role reversal. But it was the opposite. LOL went 9-1 in the regular season and Sunlake went 1-9. Too funny to all the players and coaches who transferred. I guess karma caught up with them. 

Funny right….even the QB went to Sunlake. He’s not a D1 kid but he’s pretty good. Should have stayed at Lando….transfer works both ways

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

And now it's being reported that the head coach for all of 5 months (BJ Hall) is out.  

Serious question:  will they even be able to play their spring game?

Yup. Confirmed he’s out….I’m sure a slew of players will be transferring out during the summer. They aren’t obligated to play the spring game (I believe against Sarasota). Good luck to whoever takes over.

On 5/11/2023 at 6:51 PM, WindsorCT said:

Yup. Confirmed he’s out….I’m sure a slew of players will be transferring out during the summer. They aren’t obligated to play the spring game (I believe against Sarasota). Good luck to whoever takes over.

Wow.  They're on my son's team schedule (PHU) early next yea.  Feel bad for those kids putting in the work this spring.