APOPKA DARTERS 16 - OHS KOWBOYS 15

Ray Icaza

From our point of view despite the score, it turned out to be a good night for our squad knowing most favored the Darters by 2 TD's with our all-state RB (Taevion Swint) on the mend for the first couple of games.   We rotated two green QB's (both sophomores) with one playing the entire 1st and 4th quarters and the other the entire 2nd and 3rd quarters.   It took a quarter to establish our running game, but after that the young backup RB group I predicted would carry the load started to gain their footing which eventually allowed us to throw a little bit.   Overall, the officiating crew I thought did an excellent job calling penalties correctly and consistently throughout the game.  They did have FOUR crucial 50/50 calls to make during the game that could have gone either way and they chose to rule in Apopka's favor on all of them.  The FIRST came after the opening Kickoff was returned for about 50 yards deep into our territory to start their drive.  After a penalty aided first down, two of our defenders tackled their RB at the line of scrimmage and although still standing/struggling for extra yards he was instantly stripped of the ball by Jalen Bell and as he started running with it the official blew the play dead allowing them to keep possession.  It eventually led to a FG for their first 3 points.   The SECOND occurred when they decided to go for it on 4th and 1 deep in our territory.  Based on what I saw plus the reaction of players on both sides (ours were ecstatic & they hung their heads), he failed to make the first down; both teams were leaving the field as possession seemingly changed hands when the refs seemed to talk, reposition the ball moving it forward about a half yard.  They then signaled first down and waved both back on to the field.  I have never seen anything like that before.  The THIRD was basically a repeat of the second, but this time from the 1 yard line on a goal line stand on 4th down.  Again they didn't appear to make it, our kids were jumping up and down while they looked at the referee who then signaled a TD.  The FOURTH was at the end of the game with a minute left on the clock.  We had driven deep into their territory and on 3rd and long we threw a corner route from about the 20 yard line.  Our WR was behind the defender, but the ball was underthrown and he adjusted, circling back in front of the defender to make the catch in the endzone right on the sideline.  Obviously, this is all from my biased perspective but again he looked in bounds and the official signaled him out.  We attempted a FG with our new kicker (zero varsity time) and it sailed just outside the upright to the left.  All in all, though no moral victory our young upcoming players filling key spots I thought did an excellent job against a top quality team.  GO KOWBOYS!!

43 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

From our point of view despite the score, it turned out to be a good night for our squad knowing most favored the Darters by 2 TD's with our all-state RB (Taevion Swint) on the mend for the first couple of games.   We rotated two green QB's (both sophomores) with one playing the entire 1st and 4th quarters and the other the entire 2nd and 3rd quarters.   It took a quarter to establish our running game, but after that the young backup RB group I predicted would carry the load started to gain their footing which eventually allowed us to throw a little bit.   Overall, the officiating crew I thought did an excellent job calling penalties correctly and consistently throughout the game.  They did have FOUR crucial 50/50 calls to make during the game that could have gone either way and they chose to rule in Apopka's favor on all of them.  The FIRST came after the opening Kickoff was returned for about 50 yards deep into our territory to start their drive.  After a penalty aided first down, two of our defenders tackled their RB at the line of scrimmage and although still standing/struggling for extra yards he was instantly stripped of the ball by Jalen Bell and as he started running with it the official blew the play dead allowing them to keep possession.  It eventually led to a FG for their first 3 points.   The SECOND occurred when they decided to go for it on 4th and 1 deep in our territory.  Based on what I saw plus the reaction of players on both sides (ours were ecstatic & they hung their heads), he failed to make the first down; both teams were leaving the field as possession seemingly changed hands when the refs seemed to talk, reposition the ball moving it forward about a half yard.  They then signaled first down and waved both back on to the field.  I have never seen anything like that before.  The THIRD was basically a repeat of the second, but this time from the 1 yard line on a goal line stand.  Again they didn't appear to make it, our kids were jumping up and down while they looked at the referee who then signaled a TD.  The FOURTH was at the end of the game with a minute left on the clock.  We had driven deep into their territory and on 3rd and long we threw a corner route from about the 20 yard line.  Our WR was behind the defender, but the ball was underthrown and he adjusted, circling back in front of the defender to make the catch in the endzone right on the sideline.  Obviously, this is all from my biased perspective but again he looked in bounds and the official signaled him out.  We attempted a FG with our new kicker (zero varsity time) and it sailed just outside the upright to the left.  All in all, though no moral victory our young upcoming players filling key spots I thought did an excellent job against a top quality team.  GO KOWBOYS!!

Congrats to the Kowboys on a strong performance.  I hope that's a catalyst for a great season even on 9/15 when we come to town for the win.  :D

41 minutes ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Congrats to the Kowboys on a strong performance.  I hope that's a catalyst for a great season even on 9/15 when we come to town for the win.  :D

Thanks, should be another great game like they both were last year.  Albeit us on the short end of the score. :D

12 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Thanks, should be another great game like they both were last year.  Albeit us on the short end of the score. :D

Osceola has a tendency to be underrated although it is one of the more consistent programs in Central Florida.  I loved and hated sharing a district with y'all, lol.

4 minutes ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Osceola has a tendency to be underrated although it is one of the more consistent programs in Central Florida.  I loved and hated sharing a district with y'all, lol.

We are used to that and okay with it.  Rankings are a crapshoot and not worth fretting over.  All we can do is put together a schedule where we face opponents with the talent and ability to beat us, yet we can win those games also.  I think last night both teams attitude was to win, which at our level is the best way to get a true measure of who you are and where you are.  We figured our OL would be able to do its job vs their DL, but until our new DL played against a physical front like they have it wasn't a proven group.  Both teams learned alot.  

36 minutes ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

Was pulling for Osceola to win this game but knew that Apopka was going to be very tough; their defense is no joke and will be the reason they win 4M.  Congrats to both teams on a very well-played game. Can’t wait to see Osceola do damage in 4S! 

You do realize that doesn't bode well for the Indian's quest to "Not let four go out the door....AGAIN!"  :lol:

Let the trash talking commence!

2 minutes ago, Nulli Secundus said:

You do realize that doesn't bode well for the Indian's quest to "Not let four go out the door....AGAIN!"  :lol:

Let the trash talking commence!

Yes, I saw your funny little comment on Scorestream. You didn’t think I was gonna let you get away with that so easily, did you? :ph34r:

Lakeland had better pray that Manatee is able to take out Venice, because if they don’t… 

2 minutes ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

Yes, I saw your funny little comment on Scorestream. You didn’t think I was gonna let you get away with that so easily, did you? :ph34r:

Lakeland had better pray that Manatee is able to take out Venice, because if they don’t… 

I knew that would get your attention.  I'm pulling for the Indians.  However, if Venice falls to Manatee, four still walks out the door... AGAIN!  

Good luck on the season Indians! :lol:

Lots of teams with unbridled bravado at this point, mostly from key skill player transfers that can make an impact.  Still believe you gotta pay a lot of attention to that trench warfare as in many cases that will be the difference.  If you are able to compete in that realm you give yourself a chance.  If not, although the score wasn't a good indicator you will get runover like Venice did last year against those Naughts in the final. 

Ray, Osceola did better than I expected, (not being disrespectful) I expected them to have a bit more of their way during your game. Your kids came to play and did a great job. I know what i think of your deficiencies, but the play was good from what i was told. ( didnt see it for myself)  Where, in my opinion you needed the most help, against a very strong opponent, your kids did great! Kudos to Osceola!  it is about the county if not my team first!   

FWIW we were the only Osceola county team to win this week!  Not chest beating, and hardly a comparison to talent, but a win is a win!

22 hours ago, Beek said:

Ray, Osceola did better than I expected, (not being disrespectful) I expected them to have a bit more of their way during your game. Your kids came to play and did a great job. I know what i think of your deficiencies, but the play was good from what i was told. ( didnt see it for myself)  Where, in my opinion you needed the most help, against a very strong opponent, your kids did great! Kudos to Osceola!  it is about the county if not my team first!   

FWIW we were the only Osceola county team to win this week!  Not chest beating, and hardly a comparison to talent, but a win is a win!

Congrats, but if I were to guess without doing research on Avon Park or being disrespectful, they would fall in the third of the teams you should easily have beaten.   And you did.

22 hours ago, Longtime Observer said:

Hopefully Swint is back soon!

He is special, but the RB group we have can handle the job and will surprise people.   Even without him against a defense like Apopka we had about 200 rushing yards once we got our footing after the first quarter.  Think they will be just as effective against TC with gradual improvement in the passing game.  

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Congrats, but if I were to guess without doing research on Avon Park or being disrespectful, they would fall in the third of the teams you should easily have beaten.   And you did.

When the game was scheduled they were ranked 460 versus our 550. We have defiantly made some strides since then. this year they are ranked 396 and us 310. I use rankings for comparison purposes only as I said before, rankings dont play games and dont take a lot of things into account. 

Using this system we should win. Calpreps projected Poinciana 28 Avon park 17. So who knows. Rankings and computer models are not very good at the high school level. 

Akeem Knox had 12 carries for 118 yards and 2 TD, only played a half. 

We will be tested this week against Nature Coast. We will see. 

Here is to Swint recovering healthy and fast!

I was out of town (and country), but listened to a live broadcast of the game by former Darter, RFW. Based solely on his commentary,  it seems that for 2.5 quarters it was a relatively even game with Apopka having the better of the scoring battle. However, from just after the midway point in the third quarter, Osceola seemed to take control of the game and Apopka was somewhat fortunate to hang on to win after being up by 9. The missed field goal from a very manageable distance sealed Osceola's fate.

Overall, though, I am happy with where Apopka is at this stage. Under Coach Rolson, Apopka has tended to start slowly and gradually improve as the season progresses with peak performance saved for the playoffs. If this team follows that trajectory, the Darters should be a live threat to take the 4M crown.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I was out of town (and country), but listened to a live broadcast of the game by former Darter, RFW. Based solely on his commentary,  it seems that for 2.5 quarters it was a relatively even game with Apopka having the better of the scoring battle. However, from just after the midway point in the third quarter, Osceola seemed to take control of the game and Apopka was somewhat fortunate to hang on to win after being up by 9. The missed field goal from a very manageable distance sealed Osceola's fate.

Overall, though, I am happy with where Apopka is at this stage. Under Coach Rolson, Apopka has tended to start slowly and gradually improve as the season progresses with peak performance saved for the playoffs. If this team follows that trajectory, the Darters should be a live threat to take the 4M crown.

Welcome Back!