Lookout 4S, sleeper slipping in

Dan in Daytona

18 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

True, but 7 TD passes for the win, from this coach's single-wing leadership ?  Just maybe (you think) he has a balanced attack ?

Single wing isn't exactly an offense that avoids passing, it's just the fact that it's typically better setup for running teams but if you have a guy who is athletic enough to be a runner and throw you can still be a good passing team with the offense

10 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Agree, but Buchholz  has been mentioned on this forum. On the other hand,  Deland (6-1) hasn't after the 7th week of the season. Hence a "SLEEPER."

My question is why?

Is there anything specific about Buchholz this year that makes them any better than the previous 2 seasons? I would argue their team two years ago was better than last year or this year 

2 minutes ago, SportsFan said:

Single wing isn't exactly an offense that avoids passing, it's just the fact that it's typically better setup for running teams but if you have a guy who is athletic enough to be a runner and throw you can still be a good passing team with the offense

As it was at Apopka when Jeremey Gallon or Chandler Cox took most of the snaps. We were still run biased, but were also a threat to pass and many times caught teams napping. 

7 minutes ago, SportsFan said:

QB TJ Moore is very physical and very athletic. 

9 minutes ago, SportsFan said:

My question is why?

Is there anything specific about Buchholz this year that makes them any better than the previous 2 seasons? I would argue their team two years ago was better than last year or this year 

Why the hype for Buchhotz ?  Well, the wisdom and or the garbage of the FHSAA computer rankings have them being the 3rd best team in the state. How 'bout that for starters...

4 hours ago, SportsFan said:

By that logic you can apply the same to Buchholz who keeps getting hyped on here lately 

What top team have they beaten this year?

I "hype" them in large part because I'm quite confident that the FHSAA rankings will allow them to play the first four rounds at home. They do look pretty doggone good, anyway. And, this isn't a vintage team for Lakeland, nor is it Venice's best ever team. So, those teams won't be so much better as to be beyond Buchholz's reach. Playing at home, where Buchholz will still be perceived as an underdog and thus will get the positive end of the ubiquitous holding and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties- always thrown at a hyper rate by officials- and I think they eek out wins. 

24 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Why the hype for Buchhotz ?  Well, the wisdom and or the garbage of the FHSAA computer rankings have them being the 3rd best team in the state. How 'bout that for starters...

Wasn't Pine Forest top 10 last year entering the playoffs only to lose in the second round? 

15 minutes ago, Longtime Observer said:

I "hype" them in large part because I'm quite confident that the FHSAA rankings will allow them to play the first four rounds at home. They do look pretty doggone good, anyway. And, this isn't a vintage team for Lakeland, nor is it Venice's best ever team. So, those teams won't be so much better as to be beyond Buchholz's reach. Playing at home, where Buchholz will still be perceived as an underdog and thus will get the positive end of the ubiquitous holding and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties- always thrown at a hyper rate by officials- and I think they eek out wins. 

Not saying Buchholz is terrible or anything but I see nothing that stands out to me, they have had better teams in the past and did nothing with it and being at home (technically citizens field is a neutral mud field) isn't gonna be enough for me to be sold on them winning it all when they had better teams before that got smoked out of the postseason

Alachua County teams in the past 30 years haven't faired well in deep playoff games specifically state title games 

Has Alachua County even had a team since Santa Fe in 1994 win a state title in a class higher than 1A?

11 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

That is exactly right. They have consistently been the best Public School in Marion county for several years. But they have lacked the overall ability to get to a semifinal let alone a title game. 

Vanguard lost a very close, extremely well-officiated, game in the state quarterfinals to Jones in 2021. That game went down to the end, and could have gone either way. 

That is exactly right. They have consistently been the best Public School in Marion county for several years. But they have lacked the overall ability to get to a semifinal let alone a title game. 

Vanguard lost a very close, extremely well-officiated, game in the state quarterfinals to Jones in 2021. That game went down to the end, and could have gone either way. 

20 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

@Jambun82 there was no need to post this three times. I am not dimwitted. I also happened to be at that game. I will keep my opinion of the officiating to myself. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

@Jambun82 there was no need to post this three times. I am not dimwitted. I also happened to be at that game. I will keep my opinion of the officiating to myself. 

That was a mistake on my part that was posted three times. I do not believe that you are dimwitted either. However, you should keep your "opinion" of the officiating to yourself because you, similar to the vast majority of posters to this message board, are not qualified to rate or critique officials or officiating. 

9 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

That was a mistake on my part that was posted three times. I do not believe that you are dimwitted either. However, you should keep your "opinion" of the officiating to yourself because you, similar to the vast majority of posters to this message board, are not qualified to rate or critique officials or officiating. 

I did withhold my opinion. I clearly stated as much. In any event, the right team won. 

On 10/7/2023 at 2:31 PM, Dan in Daytona said:

I was thinking the same thing. Just threw another well coached, athletic team out there for discussion who appears to be more "Balanced" than usual.

Well, we got our answer as Deland put up a good fight but came up short losing to Seminole 49-42.  The score was relatively close but in my eyes a team giving up 49 points doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.  Granted we lost to Sanford Seminole earlier in the year 31-6, but played the entire game with little offensive output with injured RB's, an inexperienced QB and our defense on the field way too long.  Looks like some teams are starting to struggle with injuries late in the season, whereas we are finally getting most folks back.  I think the Kowboys will give Mainland all it can handle next Thursday despite the record and the hilarious FHSAA rankings.  Currently Mainland is #2 among all schools while we are #302.  Can't wait to see how this plays out. 

12 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Well, we got our answer as Deland put up a good fight but came up short losing to Seminole 49-42.  The score was relatively close but in my eyes a team giving up 49 points doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.  Granted we lost to Sanford Seminole earlier in the year 31-6, but played the entire game with little offensive output with injured RB's, an inexperienced QB and our defense on the field way too long.  Looks like some teams are starting to struggle with injuries late in the season, whereas we are finally getting most folks back.  I think the Kowboys will give Mainland all it can handle next Thursday despite the record and the hilarious FHSAA rankings.  Currently Mainland is #2 among all schools while we are #302.  Can't wait to see how this plays out. 

Ray, your Kowboys manhandled the Bucs last year. My hope is that's not the case this year. Going back to the days of Willie Green , I've always thought the Kowboys, Mainland, Cocoa, and St Augustine are very similar in player make-up from year to year. All have speedy and aggressive athletic players with many in challenging and difficult living conditions. Though some players are a little undersized for the big colleges, they still play with a chip on the shoulder and a heart that never quits.... As too the FHSAA ranking's, they are pretty ridiculous. Computer polls take a few weeks and games played to correct their early results. In this poll's case, it's dead on arrival. 

17 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Ray, your Kowboys manhandled the Bucs last year. My hope is that's not the case this year. Going back to the days of Willie Green , I've always thought the Kowboys, Mainland, Cocoa, and St Augustine are very similar in player make-up from year to year. All have speedy and aggressive athletic players with many in challenging and difficult living conditions. Though some are a little undersized for the big colleges, they still play with a chip on the shoulder and a heart that never quits.... As too the FHSAA ranking's, they are pretty ridiculous. Computer polls take a few weeks and games played to correct their early results. In this poll's case, it's dead on arrival. 

Mainland will rightfully be favored based on record plus home field advantage.  It appears they wanted to cancel last year prior to playing the game and this year are itching for revenge.  In any event, we won't be easy pickings and if we keep mistakes to a minimum we certainly have a chance to pull the upset.  Game has been moved to Thursday of next week and I will certainly be in attendance bar any emergency.  Your BUCS have been playing well all year and have a strong argument to make as the leading contender for this year's 3S TITLE!!